Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I am considering a US West Coast to Seychelles (SEZ) for a honeymoon and would like to Fly Emirates F.

What city should I depart from?

If I understood the equipment lists correctly:
Seattle is: 777-200LR
San Francisco is: 777-300ER
Los Angeles is: 777-300ER

and DXB-SEZ is: A340-500

I would be looking to fly in the nicest suite. Do I need to be on an A380 to do so?

All of the above wil have suites. Only difference really is the lack of shower/spa. I've only flown suites on a 772 LR but I can't imagine it's noticeably different.

You will have a great time. Only thing for me is that even with the divider down in 1e and f or 2e and f you do feel far from your partner! It's not sitting in close proximity....not always a bad thing
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:58 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

M3Red, thanks.

I did see in some blogs, LAX/SFO will have the a380 soon?
Is there an actual time frame with that, because if so I would be happy to delay my flight for a "shower"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm not a newbie, but this is perhaps a newbie question. It's a while since I flew anything but EK Y.

But i'm heading out to Asia - and looking at EK's early morning flight to KUL (EK 344) where I can connect onwards. It's on the 3 class 332.

It might be in Business. It might be Economy. Is J on these planes as bad as I fear? And if I am in Y, I presume it will be the quieter of the 4 daily flights as on oldest equipment? But with least amount of seatpitch according to SeatGuru (i'm 6ft6!!).

I have an alternative via Singapore on 777 - but I try and avoid possibility of 10 across (also presume SIN is more Premium Heavy?) - the later A380 flight will miss my onward connection.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
I would say that for a person 6'6" tall, the 332 will definitely be very cramped in Y and maybe even on the 777. The J on the 332 has decent legroom but not much more seat width than a Y seat. The J on the 777 would be the best option if you can get it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Okay total newbie question here about chauffeur service.

In May I am flying from SEA-DXB-MLE on Emirates in F on award ticket (Alaska).

Here's my flights
Outbound- SEA-SFO-DXB-MLE (there wasn't Z space avail on SEA-DXB direct, so we're going thru SFO)
Inbound- MLE-DXB-SEA

Two questions

1. Do award booking qualify for chauffeur service?
2. If they do, am I eligible for chauffeur service on by outbound flight, even though my first segment is to SFO on AS?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Award bookings made through EK qualify, I would strongly assume that you are also eligible.

However, EK are hardly going to pay for a car to take you to another airline's flight! I see your logic, they would have provided one in SFO, but you don't need it, and SEA is also served by EK hence they have a contract with a car company there... If you manage to get it, I will be very impressed.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by father_ted
Award bookings made through EK qualify, I would strongly assume that you are also eligible.

However, EK are hardly going to pay for a car to take you to another airline's flight! I see your logic, they would have provided one in SFO, but you don't need it, and SEA is also served by EK hence they have a contract with a car company there... If you manage to get it, I will be very impressed.
I didn't think my itinerary would allow it for the outbound, although they already have a service here in place.

Should I call EK and ask?

Just trying to 'take in' this entire EK experience, because I don't know when it might happen again. It will be the highlight of 2013 travels, that's for sure.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:51 pm
m27

hi all, most of emirates current offers are book by 28th Feb, I'm looking to fly in Sept - Oct, when will Emirates release special fares for this period? Is it likely to be soon after the 28th Feb? Just wondered whether it's worth waiting, as the fuel surcharge has already bumped up the prices.

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Unless you have a stopover in DXB, then you won't be able to use it on the outbound. However, on the principle of 'those who don't ask don't get' I'd probably chance asking at an airport ticket desk or regional sales office (these locations usually have people who can get things done more easily than call centre agents) while booking the return transfer, which you are entitled to.

They'll more than likely say no, and I'd let that be the end of the matter.

EK F is very good, and a memorable experience if you haven't been on it before.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I m flying to South Africa in the summer, I will be ek gold by this point.

If I take a y class flight j'burg to cpt with South African airways will I be able to use their lounge as a partner airline? I know I can get skywards points but if I can use the lounge and business check in I won't bother with paying for j for a 2 hour flight.

Thanks in advance

M3
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: EK, Shebamiles, BAEC
I don't think you can use the SAA lounge (I'm gold and fly SAA all the time, and my EK status hasn't helped me at all).

Though perhaps if you book the SAA JNB-CPT flight with the EK Code Share? Even then I'm very skeptical.

Re lounge access, there are lounges at JNB that will allow you to pay per use ...
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
I live in NZ and fly QF most years AKL-GLA for a month in the UK summer July/August. I tend to get an "Earlybird" fare which is booked and paid about November/December.
Now looking to fly EK. Is there any particular time of year when EK promotes special fares for early booking? Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:05 am

I don't think EK has the equivalent of an "Earlybird" fare. On your local website they will usually have a "Special Fares" section which is currently showing AKL-GLA return from $2,789 NZ in Y, but this is only for departures until the end off March. This will probably roll over to cover the next few months at the expiry of the current offer.

For UK in July/August you might struggle to get a bargain if you leave it late due to school holiday premiums.

There are usually sales in late December/early January and again in June (there may be others but these ring a bell with me).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Cheers ft101 - appreciate your help.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:11 am

I will be flying DXB- AKL on EK406 on 28th March. I used miles to upgrade to J. Having checked Expertflyer it seems that J is completely sold out, so hoping for a chance of an upgrade. I am gold and will be flying with my wife who is Blue but we are on separate PNRs. I know there is no set rule on upgrades, but do you think we'd stand a better chance if joined the PNRs together, or keep them separate, get to the airport early and hope for at least 1 upgrade.

Either way if we stay J it will be fine, it's my wife's first time flying long haul J and she is very excited already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.