Duty Free Best Finds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Best Finds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
It is not at an airport, but my all-time favorite duty-free liqour store is "Al Cohen's Discount Liquor" in St. Thomas.

If you are coming on a cruise ship, it is right outside of Havensight mall, where many of the ships dock. I do not have a price list handy, but I have always found great deals here, significantly cheaper then any airport DF shop.

The best part is that since this is a US Territory, they have different custom allowances to bring liquor back to the US. The last time I checked, provided you had at least one 1 liter of liquor made in the US Virgin Islands (ie Cruzan rum), you could bring a total 6 liters back to the mainland!

I have visited three times, and brought at least 6 bottles back each time with no issues.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:46 pm

Caviar?

I haven't read the whole discussion, but I did a thread search and couldn't find any mention of caviar. Are there any real duty free bargains? I've seen caviar in some duty free shops, but the prices never seem all that different from any specialty food shop.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
I haven't read the whole discussion, but I did a thread search and couldn't find any mention of caviar. Are there any real duty free bargains? I've seen caviar in some duty free shops, but the prices never seem all that different from any specialty food shop.
Caviar isn't there because nobody has shared a good deal on it. Maybe because it's not there or not obvious.

I started the thread to focus on duty free (or similar) deals in airports & shipping ports; primarily for duty-free liquor and Champagne.

If you regularly buy caviar and find worthwhile savings at duty free, please share the airport and details of the product.

If you could kindly PM me the link to the post, I'll update the index.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Generally speaking, would you say BKK or SIN offers better deals for Duty Free booze?

Specifically im looking at JW Black/Blue.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slickalick
Generally speaking, would you say BKK or SIN offers better deals for Duty Free booze?

Specifically im looking at JW Black/Blue.
Previous 'best' deals for JW Blue included China-based airports, so it's interesting that you are checking pricing elsewhere.

Can you first post the current price of your local airport DF stores, for regular ad sale-priced JW BLue? I'd be pretty sure that there would be sale prices right now, for Feb 14.

SYD DF is selling it for AUD$175 which is pretty good in local $ comparative terms, but terrible when you convert the exchange rate. [Happy Chinese New Year Deals]

From this thread's perspective, to answer your question, people would need to post th 'best deal' for JW Blue or JB black in USD.

I hope you can do your own quick USD$ comparisons and let us know!

BB
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Just found this thread. Late August 2009, bought a Bowmore 12-15 Yr (cannot remember) 1000mL Islay Single Malt for around 221.00 RMB that translated to around 35.94 CAD or probably close to $30-32 USD at PEK arrivals duty free. Much smaller than the departure levels Duty free collections, but the prices were probably the same.

Was an ok deal. Nothing else was reasonably priced. I remember JW Blue being rather more than I am used to seeing.

Will be at the DEL Duty free on the arrivals side in a couple of weeks. Will update then.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Some years ago I was flying on Valentine's Day out of EWR and found a 2-for-1 special on Veuve-Cliquot. Taught me to cruise through the DF with an eye out for similar specials, even though where I fly DF seems rarely to be a better deal than in-town shops.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, WN, SPG, MR Gold, HH Gold VIP
We're headed to the apartment we like to rent in Tuscany in May, and as a gift to our landlord and village osteria/manager we want to pick up a couple bottles of Bourbon. Can anyone tell me if the duty free shops in AA terminal 8/9 at JFK carry Woodford Reserve?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by porphyra
Just found this thread. Late August 2009, bought a Bowmore 12-15 Yr (cannot remember) 1000mL Islay Single Malt for around 221.00 RMB that translated to around 35.94 CAD or probably close to $30-32 USD at PEK arrivals duty free. Much smaller than the departure levels Duty free collections, but the prices were probably the same.

Was an ok deal. Nothing else was reasonably priced. I remember JW Blue being rather more than I am used to seeing.

Will be at the DEL Duty free on the arrivals side in a couple of weeks. Will update then.
Thanks; let me know by PM when you need any new info indexed.

Originally Posted by Ragazza
We're headed to the apartment we like to rent in Tuscany in May, and as a gift to our landlord and village osteria/manager we want to pick up a couple bottles of Bourbon. Can anyone tell me if the duty free shops in AA terminal 8/9 at JFK carry Woodford Reserve?
I'd check with the NYC forum or AA forum, if you can't find their online presence and range. Can you call the shop to check?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:20 pm
Suspended

The people who love good food will never worried weather the food is duty free or chargad.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by doctor15
It is not at an airport, but my all-time favorite duty-free liqour store is "Al Cohen's Discount Liquor" in St. Thomas.

If you are coming on a cruise ship, it is right outside of Havensight mall, where many of the ships dock. I do not have a price list handy, but I have always found great deals here, significantly cheaper then any airport DF shop.

The best part is that since this is a US Territory, they have different custom allowances to bring liquor back to the US. The last time I checked, provided you had at least one 1 liter of liquor made in the US Virgin Islands (ie Cruzan rum), you could bring a total 6 liters back to the mainland!

I have visited three times, and brought at least 6 bottles back each time with no issues.
Funny, but I always look for some tasty liquer too when I hit dfs. I almost made a habit out of walking out with a bottle of something that I like if the price is right.

Last edited by arletha; Mar 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:23 pm

JW Blue from Beijing Duty Free - Real or fake?

I was in Beijing yesterday at T2 and bought a 750ml bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for 809 RMB ($118.5 USD) from Sunrise Duty Free. I was planning on giving it as a gift to a coworker here in Korea, but a friend here is convinced its fake as a lot of the booze in China is fake. I know even Carrefour was fined for selling fake booze - but I guess Duty Free would be ok. I'm sure its fine but has anyone ever heard anything about fake booze being sold in Duty Free stores in China?

-- also the couple next to me accidentally grabbed my duty free bag (looked identical to theirs )while getting off the plane in Incheon, had to sprint like a maniac to catch them. Really hope that major exertion of energy wasn't for nothing!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fitzy7
I was in Beijing yesterday at T2 and bought a 750ml bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for 809 RMB ($118.5 USD) from Sunrise Duty Free. I was planning on giving it as a gift to a coworker here in Korea, but a friend here is convinced its fake as a lot of the booze in China is fake. I know even Carrefour was fined for selling fake booze - but I guess Duty Free would be ok. I'm sure its fine but has anyone ever heard anything about fake booze being sold in Duty Free stores in China?

-- also the couple next to me accidentally grabbed my duty free bag (looked identical to theirs )while getting off the plane in Incheon, had to sprint like a maniac to catch them. Really hope that major exertion of energy wasn't for nothing!
Please report if it tastes like the real JWB! ^

I would expect it wouldn't be too difficult to work out which company has distribution of JW in China - and whether they have a problem with DF shops passing off counterfeits at the major airports. Hopefully not and I figure we'd read reports/ warnings.. then the DF biz would be killed very, very quickly there.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:14 am

I haven't been to PAP since the quake and I don't know if they've reopened the Barbancourt shop at the interim terminal, but you used to be able to get a five bottle set of Barbancourt dirt cheap ($30 or so, $70 for the 15-year).

A 12-pack of 50 ml bottles was $8.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P
In 2008, PEK, 1L Pernod, $13. I'll be looking for that again this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.