Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Best Finds

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 12:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by fitzy7
....a friend here is convinced its fake as a lot of the booze in China is fake. I know even Carrefour was fined for selling fake booze - but I guess Duty Free would be ok. I'm sure its fine but has anyone ever heard anything about fake booze being sold in Duty Free stores in China?
I saw a fake bottle of Louis XIII at the DF in LHR (selling for circa GBP 1000 so rather good thing to counterfeit). The manager there was astonished and very apologetic (and checked his stock, several other bottles were fake too -- some of the authenticity marks for Louis XIII are quite hard to forge; sadly JW Blue doesn't have such protection, but then it is far less expensive). So fakes can be for sale in the best stores (the distributor is at fault, either knowingly or unknowingly). Sometimes store clerks substitute fakes for stock that they shoplift, for example (but you aren't worried about that). The price is plausible so it probably is genuine price, but whether you get genuine stock is a different question. DF stores are of course a great place to palm off fakes as the clientele are hurried, can't come back the next day, and often are getting items as a gift so not looking too closely.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: AP, UA, AA
In June at Delhi airport I purchashed 1 litre of Canadian Club for $8 u.s. and 1 litre of Ballyntynes for $9 u.s. They had a 50% off sale, on quite a few brands of alchol.
In Kolkata airport they had buy 2-1 litre bottles of Johnny Walker Black and get the 3rd 1 litre bottle free. Total price for the 3 - 1 litre bottles was $70 U.S.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I believe the JW Blue was $180 at SFO for a full 1L with a bonus 20cl bottle.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
In Austria DF liquor is always more expensive than getting it at the next supermarket.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: UA PS - DL FO & .4MM
Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
In June at Delhi airport I purchashed 1 litre of Canadian Club for $8 u.s. and 1 litre of Ballyntynes for $9 u.s. They had a 50% off sale, on quite a few brands of alchol.
In Kolkata airport they had buy 2-1 litre bottles of Johnny Walker Black and get the 3rd 1 litre bottle free. Total price for the 3 - 1 litre bottles was $70 U.S.
AFAIK CCU (Kolkata) is a really really cheap place for alcohol.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
I saw a fake bottle of Louis XIII at the DF in LHR (selling for circa GBP 1000 so rather good thing to counterfeit). The manager there was astonished and very apologetic (and checked his stock, several other bottles were fake too -- some of the authenticity marks for Louis XIII are quite hard to forge; sadly JW Blue doesn't have such protection, but then it is far less expensive). So fakes can be for sale in the best stores (the distributor is at fault, either knowingly or unknowingly). Sometimes store clerks substitute fakes for stock that they shoplift, for example (but you aren't worried about that). The price is plausible so it probably is genuine price, but whether you get genuine stock is a different question. DF stores are of course a great place to palm off fakes as the clientele are hurried, can't come back the next day, and often are getting items as a gift so not looking too closely.
Wow, that's embarassing. I did find a bottle of chanel 5 on sale for $13 once in Manilla, which was rather a good deal and not a counterfeit.

Last edited by samsong; Aug 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
Raffles l., I might be wrong on this guess but could a reason for the alcohol being relatively cheap be not only expat demand or local traveller demand, but maybe some sly purchases by people from neighbouring 'dry' countries?

I couldn't imagine finding alcohol in airports in Bangladesh or Pakistan, let alone 'best find' prices.

Does anyone agree? What about other nearby countries with similar, Hindu or non-Muslim (or at least tolerant of some drinking) cultures? I recall having beers on the beach at a restaurant in Colombo but that's all.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Can confirm the basic deal on 750cl JWB on UA onboard is still around July 2010: US$142 in the catalog, minus 10% for elites (I think you need to have your card). Posted on my card at US$128 (cf. $240 at my local store).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:14 am

Guys,

All these Information seems AWESOME to know especially during travels.

Anyone knows where we can get a summary of all the prices without going through the entire thread ?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:19 am

theres a "table" on page 1, it was a good start, but its not the best way to collect all these info.

ideas ?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:29 am

Isn't it reasonable to assume that most of these deals have expired since they were posted? I'd say they will last at most 3 months (which is how often many airlines update their inflight magazines which carry many of the duty free deals).
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:57 pm

yea, this is just for DFS only actually.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by number_6
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PVDProf
(cf. $240 at my local store).
Wow. It is usually available for under $160+tax here.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: AC*E
just got back from a trip through the following airports/cities: BOS, YYZ, YVR, HKG, SZX, TPE, SHA... and the cheapest I found for 1L JWB was ~$150USD at the Taipei airport, which included another 200ml bottle. Elsewhere was upwards of $200USD! where are all the cheap deals??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.