Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Cocktail Thread

The Cocktail Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was introduced to this on Delta One this year and I really like it, no idea what the name is.

Bombay Sapphire
Cranberry Juice
Splash of Ginger Ale.
Delta Sunrise Cocktail. I have had that one in Delta One too. Not bad ^

http://chilledmagazine.com/spirits-in-the-sky/

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 20, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
New one at work:

Seaside Martini

Muddle two basil leaves and rind from one orange wedge in 3/4 oz of simple syrup. Add juice from half of a lemon, a pinch of allspice, and 1.5 ounces of decent vodka. Shake, serve up in in a martini shell and top with a bit of soda water.

Yum.

Chris
Hmm....might have to try this. The allspice is throwing me---that's a pretty strong flavor.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Last weekend Mrs Willie & I enjoyed a couple of scotch based cocktails. Both are simple two ingredient cocktails.

Rusty Nail - 2 parts scotch & 1 part Drambuie.

The Debonair - 2 parts scotch & 1 part ginger liquor

I suggest adjusting the ratios of you like a more scotch forward drink.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Last weekend Mrs Willie & I enjoyed a couple of scotch based cocktails. Both are simple two ingredient cocktails.

Rusty Nail - 2 parts scotch & 1 part Drambuie.

The Debonair - 2 parts scotch & 1 part ginger liquor

I suggest adjusting the ratios of you like a more scotch forward drink.
Love a good scotch cocktail and Drambuie is fantastic!

One of my favourite Scotch drinks is "The Highlander" by Eric Alperin from Varnish LA:
60mL (2oz) Scotch + 15mL (0.5oz) Cherry Heering. Build in a rocks glass over ice and garnish with a lemon twist.

It's one of my go-to lazy weeknight drinks when I don't feel like getting out all my bar equipment to shake and strain things!
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
One of my favourite Scotch drinks is "The Highlander" by Eric Alperin from Varnish LA:
60mL (2oz) Scotch + 15mL (0.5oz) Cherry Heering. Build in a rocks glass over ice and garnish with a lemon twist.

It's one of my go-to lazy weeknight drinks when I don't feel like getting out all my bar equipment to shake and strain things!
we have Cherry Heering, will have to give this a go, thanks for suggestion.

Of course shaken, sometimes two times depending upon ingredients, there has yet to be a cocktail I've strained with a mesh. #lazybartender

Another very tasty scotch cocktail we enjoyed was

Last Night in Town

1.5 parts scotch
.75 dry vermouth
.75 amaro Nonino
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
One drink I made up during the Pandemic...

* 1 part Deep Eddy Orange Vodka
* 3-4 parts diet tonic water

It tastes like alcoholic Orangina.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was introduced to this on Delta One this year and I really like it, no idea what the name is.

Bombay Sapphire
Cranberry Juice
Splash of Ginger Ale.
Can someone recommend a ratio of gin to juice?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can someone recommend a ratio of gin to juice?
A London Mule would be one part Gin to 3 parts Ginger Ale (and a good slug of lime juice)

To add the Cranberry element I would keep to this Alcoholic/non-alcoholic ratio. My suggestion is

1 part Gin, 1 part Cranberry juice, 2 parts Ginger Ale (perhaps with a slice of lime)

To pull it away from being “Mule-ish” - 1 part Gin, 2 parts Cranberry, 1 part Ginger Ale
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LapLap
A London Mule would be one part Gin to 3 parts Ginger Ale (and a good slug of lime juice)

To add the Cranberry element I would keep to this Alcoholic/non-alcoholic ratio. My suggestion is

1 part Gin, 1 part Cranberry juice, 2 parts Ginger Ale (perhaps with a slice of lime)

To pull it away from being Mule-ish - 1 part Gin, 2 parts Cranberry, 1 part Ginger Ale
Actually, this appears to be a variation of a Cape Codder, not a London Mule, substituting gin for the vodka and adding a splash of ginger ale. The traditional raios are 1 1/2 oz. of vodka and 5 oz. cranberry apple juice. When trying to replicate the Delta Signature Sunrise cocktail, I'd start with 1 1/2 oz. of gin, 4 1/2 oz. of cranberry apple juice and 1/2 oz. of ginger ale and adjust the proportions until it tastes to my liking.
pseudoswede and LapLap like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
we have Cherry Heering, will have to give this a go, thanks for suggestion.

Of course shaken, sometimes two times depending upon ingredients, there has yet to be a cocktail I've strained with a mesh. #lazybartender

Another very tasty scotch cocktail we enjoyed was

Last Night in Town

1.5 parts scotch
.75 dry vermouth
.75 amaro Nonino
I have Noilly Prat and I've been wanting to get a bottle of Amaro Nonino, so I'll have to try this!

Haha, I only bought a small mesh strainer about two years after getting into mixology and a proper muddler just one week ago...had been using the back of a spoon to muddle!
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'm really a fan of the Campari + Vermouth cocktail family, including negroni, americano, and sbagliato.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Actually, this appears to be a variation of a Cape Codder, not a London Mule, substituting gin for the vodka and adding a splash of ginger ale. The traditional raios are 1 1/2 oz. of vodka and 5 oz. cranberry apple juice. When trying to replicate the Delta Signature Sunrise cocktail, I'd start with 1 1/2 oz. of gin, 4 1/2 oz. of cranberry apple juice and 1/2 oz. of ginger ale and adjust the proportions until it tastes to my liking.
I actually not a big fan of ginger ale, so I decided to try it with Sprite. I also can't remember if I poured 4.5 or 6oz of cranapple juice.

Meh. Not a fan.

Also, RIP Drizly. You were a savior during the pandemic, and I don't think I ever paid a single delivery fee using the service with all of promo codes you spat out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.