Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:18 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
What bitters did you use? I have quite a few on hand right now...Angostura, Peychaud's, orange, peach, and even Douglas fir.
Angostura & Peychaud's are the go-to, always have both on hand.
I was a member of a cocktail club at one point, so have lots of other bitters on hand.

I haven't tried a Douglas Fir bitter, but in regards to a forest influence product, I did just buy a German honey that is described as "Dark Forest" honey. Nice pine aspect to the honey, very different that the usual honey I buy. (Mrs Willie was not a fan)
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:54 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Angostura & Peychaud's are the go-to, always have both on hand.
I was a member of a cocktail club at one point, so have lots of other bitters on hand.

I haven't tried a Douglas Fir bitter, but in regards to a forest influence product, I did just buy a German honey that is described as "Dark Forest" honey. Nice pine aspect to the honey, very different that the usual honey I buy. (Mrs Willie was not a fan)
I am slowly building my collection of bitters! There is a wonderful shop here in Melbourne (aptly named Only Bitters) that carries a fantastic range. Otherwise, I also pick up interesting ones on my annual trips to the US.

The Douglas fir bitter that I have is the Woodland Bitters from Portland Bitters Project. I bought it to make a spin on the Negroni together with St George Terroir Gin (one of my all-time favourite gins), Cynar, Zirbenz stone pine liqueur, and lemon peel. Woodsy flavoured food and drinks are definitely an acquired taste that is not for everyone! To me, that forest honey sounds excellent.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 5:50 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Last night Mrs Willie & I enjoyed Negroni Sbagliato

A classic negroni contains equal parts gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari. The sbagliato contains equal parts sweet vermouth, Campari and prosecco.

We tweak the recipe and use 1 part Sweet Vermouth, 1 part Campari, 2-3 parts prosecco as who wants leftover prosecco?
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Last night Mrs Willie & I enjoyed Negroni Sbagliato

A classic negroni contains equal parts gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari. The sbagliato contains equal parts sweet vermouth, Campari and prosecco.

We tweak the recipe and use 1 part Sweet Vermouth, 1 part Campari, 2-3 parts prosecco as who wants leftover prosecco?
They were all the rage in Milan when I was there in about 2015. It was fun! "Sbagliato" means "false" iirc. It's a fake negroni.
Sweet Willie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.