Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This weekend I needed to improvise and discovered that gin and Fresca is pretty tasty.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's tried this.

It's good with a lot of freshly squeezed lime.

(And none of that Rose's ca-ca. )
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
nutty caramel bonbon
1oz spiced rum
2oz irish cream
1/2 oz frangelico

shake and serve in a lowball

terry's chocolate orange
1oz grand marnier
1oz creme de cacao
4oz orange juice

shake and serve over ice in a collins glass

recipes thanks to everyday drinker modified first drink for my own taste
http://everydaydrinkers.com/
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm sorry, the Gimlet must be made with Rose's Lime Juice, and only Rose's, cut with a little water. Even Tom Felten, author of How's Your Drink?, agrees.
Oh, that Gimlet is so much better when made with fresh lime juice and a little mint. Rose's Lime is awful... kind of like Margarita Mix.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Oh, that Gimlet is so much better when made with fresh lime juice and a little mint. Rose's Lime is awful... kind of like Margarita Mix.
Except it's not a "Gimlet". The cocktail was developed in an era and locale in which fresh limes were unavailable. "Rose's" was a familiar brand name for a old antiscorbutic product, containing lime juice, sugar and Preservative(s), readily available to barmen in the UK and pink parts of the globe.

Call your drink what you may (and it sounds "drinkable"), but Gimlet it's not....(just as the current "Martini" crop has naught to do with Martinis, within which folks may battle over the choice of Vermouths or the substitution of vodka, but with an onion instead of an olive it becomes a Gibson, and even that early explorer who tried Sherry instead of Vermouth was off the reservation).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by nerd
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's tried this.

It's good with a lot of freshly squeezed lime.

(And none of that Rose's ca-ca. )
That reminds me of White Rum + "Big Red". Add enough fresh lime and it's not bad, reminiscent of the once popular "Bacardi Cocktail", a companion to the Daiquiri, using Grenadine instead of simple syrup (and usually an aged rum)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Except it's not a "Gimlet". The cocktail was developed in an era and locale in which fresh limes were unavailable. "Rose's" was a familiar brand name for a old antiscorbutic product, containing lime juice, sugar and Preservative(s), readily available to barmen in the UK and pink parts of the globe.

Call your drink what you may (and it sounds "drinkable"), but Gimlet it's not....(just as the current "Martini" crop has naught to do with Martinis, within which folks may battle over the choice of Vermouths or the substitution of vodka, but with an onion instead of an olive it becomes a Gibson, and even that early explorer who tried Sherry instead of Vermouth was off the reservation).
THANK YOU.

The real martini purists will insist that a mixture of gin and vermouth, shaken with ice, is not a martini but a Bradford: real martinis are stirred. I think that's taking it a bit too far.

But using an onion instead of an olive or lemon peel turns the martini into a Gibson.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:12 pm

I like your idea - shall we call it a 'Mojitini'. I'm going to make a couple tonight. wj
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:01 am

The unique sweetness of rose lime juice is traditionally used but we often hear that fresh is always better in any drink.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by printingray
The unique sweetness of rose lime juice is traditionally used but we often hear that fresh is always better in any drink.
<growl> Except the Gimlet </growl>
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got a bottle of Tequila (1800 Silver) for Christmas. I drank a couple of chilled shots on the rocks so far but still have most of the bottle in my freezer. Can anyone recommend a good cocktail using Tequila? I'm open to anything except a margarita as I don't like those.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by CMK10
I got a bottle of Tequila (1800 Silver) for Christmas. I drank a couple of chilled shots on the rocks so far but still have most of the bottle in my freezer. Can anyone recommend a good cocktail using Tequila? I'm open to anything except a margarita as I don't like those.
http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/...quila-907.html
I think you should be able to find something there
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:15 pm

1800 is appropriate for mixing. Good not great.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:36 pm

My favourites are two classics.

1. Martini. Preferably in-and-out. Just wash the glass with vermouth, fill with cold gin and olives. Failing that, shaken with a few drops of vermouth is fine.

2. Sazerac. Absinthe, whiskey and bitters. When done right this thing is bliss.

1800 is a decent silver tequila, though I usually use Don Julio for this. But shake with some vermouth and you have yourself a Tequini.

Tequila also goes surprisingly well with just sprite, or in a few juice cocktails. Tequila Sunrise is the obvious one, but I find a good solution is 45mL of Tequila, 15mL of Blue Curacao and about 90mL of Pineapple juice shaken with ice and poured into a glass goes down a treat.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
La Paloma
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<growl> Except the Gimlet </growl>
Indeed. A Gimlet is properly made with Roses. If you want to make it fancy, make your own lime cordial.

Now, if you want to make a gimlet, use fresh lime. And feel free to tweak the sweetener. I like to use a ginger simple syrup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.