The Cocktail Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
That would be a 'Ramos Fizz'. Made famous in New Orleans a million years ago and a brunch staple everywhere.
Looks like the Ramos Fizz also contains lime juice, milk, simple syrup, and club soda. No almond (orgeat) syrup.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Looks like the Ramos Fizz also contains lime juice, milk, simple syrup, and club soda. No almond (orgeat) syrup.
That's a VERY odd recipe for a Ramos. I've made 'em at about 10 places and it always goes like this: half & half, lemon juice, gin, orgeat or noyeaux, egg whites, orange flower water, sprinkle a little nutmeg on top. garnished w/an orange slice. The goal is to balance out the sweet, sour, & creamy, with a little bite from the gin on the finish. A lot of places are avoiding the egg whites due to the possibility of salmonella & using whipping cream, which has a similar (but not as good) fluffing effect.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TA lot of places are avoiding the egg whites due to the possibility of salmonella & using whipping cream, which has a similar (but not as good) fluffing effect.
I remember reading that the CDC said the probability of a given egg containing salmonella was about 1 in 25,000.

Even so, wouldn't the alcohol kill it?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:00 pm

In SF 25 years ago the Chronicle ordered Fizzes at about 20 big brunch spots and 1/2 had no alcohol what so ever. It was a big scandal in such a restaurant town. You're right, as long as the eggs are mostly kept cold after exiting the hen, the salmonella chance is virtually nil.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
In SF 25 years ago the Chronicle ordered Fizzes at about 20 big brunch spots and 1/2 had no alcohol what so ever
The one time I ordered a Ramos was years ago at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans -- if there was any alcohol at all I couldn't detect it. Stuck to Sazeracs in N.O. ever since
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The one time I ordered a Ramos was years ago at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans -- if there was any alcohol at all I couldn't detect it. Stuck to Sazeracs in N.O. ever since
mmm sazerac
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Negronis are my summer drink. A few years ago, they were obscure and now it seems every cocktail bar and mediocre "mixologist" has some horrible version of it… which is hard to do when they only have 3 ingredients.

My autumn go-to drink has been the Boulevardier. Take the negroni and swap the gin for bourbon: 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz campari, 1oz sweet vermouth. Add an orange twist and youre done.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:20 am

The Negroni has always been popular in SF. Usually when I get a bad one, the bartender's shorted the sweet vermouth. It has to be 1/3 -1/3 -1/3. The SV gives the drink a fullness & complexity. I don't think the quality of the gin is particularly important. The sweet vermouth is though - best with an aged one like Carpano Antica. BTW, I like your bourbon for gin swap. I'll try one tonight.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revisiting this thread. I'm in Milan now. Everyone here seems to drink a Negroni Sbagliati - a "wrong negroni". It has prosecco in place of the gin. The prosecco adds a little sweetness (just a little) and makes for a softer drink. I like them but think I still prefer it the other way.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:07 pm

My flying ritual is a gin & tonic
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:31 am

Ingredients
2 parts Grey Goose vodka
4 parts organic tomato juice
½ part fresh lemon juice (to taste)
4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
4 dashes of Tabasco (or hot pepper sauce)
Pinch of fleur de sel (or sea salt)
Pinch of black pepper
Some cubed ice
To garnish: Celery, ground black pepper and fresh aromatic herbs

How to mix
Add plenty of ice and all of your ingredients to a shaker or stirring glass
If you’re using a shaker, tilt it backwards and forwards a few times to mix the ingredients without making the drink frothy. If you’re stirring, you can do so vigorously
Pour the mix into a glass. Top up with fresh ice if it’s not quite full
Add your garnishes. Any fresh herbs and a celery stick work well
Tabasco tip: if you’re making Bloody Marys for a group of people, make a jug without spice and let people add their own Tabasco. Some like it hot, others not so much!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was introduced to this on Delta One this year and I really like it, no idea what the name is.

Bombay Sapphire
Cranberry Juice
Splash of Ginger Ale.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA, HA
1. ^ Awesome thread! Thanks for the great ideas

2. Umm, do y'all ever bring fixings for your favorite travel cocktails on-board? Or rely on certain Can Be Made With What's On Board go-tos?

3. Negroni Week coming up, 6-12 Jun. For charity. https://negroniweek.com/

4. Besides that Hemingwayian Death in the Stratosphere (or whatever), any other officially-recognized cocktails of a decidedly aeronautical theme?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 20, 2016 at 1:24 am Reason: merge
Old May 20, 2016, 4:39 am

The Negroni has always been popular in SF. Usually when I get a bad one, the bartender's shorted the sweet vermouth. It has to be 1/3 -1/3 -1/3. The SV gives the drink a fullness & complexity. I don't think the quality of the gin is particularly important. The sweet vermouth is though - best with an aged one like Carpano Antica. BTW, I like your bourbon for gin swap. I'll try one tonight.
I agree with the sweet vermouth, but I do swear by gin type also - Tan 10 being my choice. I had the best negroni I ever had in the Joel Robuchon bar at the NY Four Seasons several years ago, and nothing has ever topped that, nor have I been able to recreate
Old May 20, 2016, 4:45 am
Suspended

Last week I had some Vermouth with the addition of some Vermouth-soaked fish roe.
Now normally I really don't like people faffing about with perfectly good booze but this was sensational stuff.
I wish I could remember what it was called but it was towards the end of a bar crawl and I was full up to the cap badge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.