Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
New one at work:

Seaside Martini

Muddle two basil leaves and rind from one orange wedge in 3/4 oz of simple syrup. Add juice from half of a lemon, a pinch of allspice, and 1.5 ounces of decent vodka. Shake, serve up in in a martini shell and top with a bit of soda water.

Yum.

Chris
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
"Sunset Gun"

1.5 ounces "White" Tequila
.75 ounce Blood Orange Syrup
Juice of 1 key lime
1 ounce Orange Juice

Stir, serve "Up", the color of a dramatic sunset, the moment of the firing of the traditional "Sunset Gun".
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
New one at work:

Seaside Martini

Muddle two basil leaves and rind from one orange wedge in 3/4 oz of simple syrup. Add juice from half of a lemon, a pinch of allspice, and 1.5 ounces of decent vodka. Shake, serve up in in a martini shell and top with a bit of soda water.

Yum.

Chris
Sounds great. I'll give it a whirl. Stay away from the rind though. It's bitter and nasty. Orange skin only.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:37 am

A regular favorite, and a variant on a typical Rob Roy:

Johnny Black
Sweet and dry vermouth, mixed perfect
Dash of bitters
Splash of Cointreau

Garnished with a lemon peel, served on the rocks. I've also used Lillet in place or with the Cointreau and its consistently a tasty and versatile drink.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Sounds great. I'll give it a whirl. Stay away from the rind though. It's bitter and nasty. Orange skin only.
You actually want some of the bitter. Counteracts the sweet and sour. Feel free to just use zest if you like though.

Chris
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was at one of my favorite bars last night and noticed they had Bitter Lemon in the fridge. I asked what they could make with it and they made me a Negroni with Tanqueray, Vermouth, Campari and the Bitter Lemon on top. Absolutely excellent ^
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Harvey Wallbanger

1&1/2 or 2 oz vodka, Orange juice, & 1/2 oz Galliano liqeur with 2 maraschino cherries. Very tasty before dinner drink!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:26 am

No one has mentioned the Aviation and, considering this is Flyertalk, it should be added:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_(cocktail)

Hard to find a bar that can make one though because Creme de Violette is not commonly stocked. Delicious.

I love the Stinger - Christmas in a glass.

Manhattans are also a favorite.

Last edited by andyonthego; Nov 4, 2013 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:16 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by andyonthego
No one has mentioned the Aviation and, considering this is Flyertalk, it should be added:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_(cocktail)

Hard to find a bar that can make one though because Creme de Violette is not commonly stocked. Delicious.

I love the Stinger - Christmas in a glass.

Manhattans are also a favorite.
Ohhh, I think I'd like to try an Aviation... it does sound delicious.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was at one of my favorite bars last night and noticed they had Bitter Lemon in the fridge. I asked what they could make with it and they made me a Negroni with Tanqueray, Vermouth, Campari and the Bitter Lemon on top. Absolutely excellent ^
CMK10 - I see we are local to one another. Which bar are you talking about?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andyonthego
CMK10 - I see we are local to one another. Which bar are you talking about?
Hey Andy! That would be Whiskey in Downtown Durham...347 W. Main Street. http://whiskeydurham.com

What's your favorite around here?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by east_of_the_sun
Ohhh, I think I'd like to try an Aviation... it does sound delicious.
Aviations are fantastic, but one of the easier drinks to get wrong in the hands of a novice bartender.

Too much lemon juice and it's terribly sharp. Too much creme de violette (or a substitute) and it tastes sickly.

For something in a vaguely similar vein, but which is a bit more idiot proof, check out the Corpse Reviver number 2:
3/4 ounce gin
3/4 ounce lemon juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau (triple sec)
3/4 ounce Lillet
1 dash absinthe

Shake ingredients together in a mixer with ice. Strain into chilled glass.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Aviations are fantastic, but one of the easier drinks to get wrong in the hands of a novice bartender.

Too much lemon juice and it's terribly sharp. Too much creme de violette (or a substitute) and it tastes sickly.

For something in a vaguely similar vein, but which is a bit more idiot proof, check out the Corpse Reviver number 2:
3/4 ounce gin
3/4 ounce lemon juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau (triple sec)
3/4 ounce Lillet
1 dash absinthe

Shake ingredients together in a mixer with ice. Strain into chilled glass.
Don't forget the cherry at the bottom.

One of my favorite drinks right now is the Hotel Georgia, I had it while I was dining at Hawksworth in Vancouver.

1 Fresh Egg White
1 3/4 ounce Plymouth Gin
1/2 ounce orgeat
3/4 ounce lemon juice
6 drops of orange blossom water
whole nutmeg

Combine egg whites, gin, orgeat, lemon juice and blossom water in a shaker and shake for 15 seconds. Add ice and shake for another 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled glass and top with grated nutmeg.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Abby
So, the goal is to increase the alcohol content in the popsicles to the point where they will still freeze (or near-freeze) within the temperature range of the normal home freezer, but no more.

I'm far too lazy to try and calculate it by formula (especially after the generous portions of wine my friend served at her place last night), so I might just try and play with the proportions and leave the rest to my freezer.

But if anyone is interested in trying to provide an answer that suggests the correct proportions to use, I'd be grateful. And impressed.
It's pretty easy: Wine, which is 10-14% alcohol, will freeze.

Vodka and other 'hard' liquors are usually 80 proof = 40% alcohol and they don't freeze.

Liqueurs, which are usually 40-proof = 20% alcohol, usually don't freeze. Sugar does make it more difficult to freeze, so that may be part of the reason liqueurs don't freeze. I'm not sure if 20% alcohol (think equal parts vodka and water) would freeze - that would be a good experiment.

In any case, I assume you will have sugar in your popsicles, so better to get them down into the 'wine' range. So to get 40% alcohol like vodka or tequila to freeze, estimate you need to get it down below 15% alcohol.
I would guess any dilution more than 2 ounces of water/juice per 1 ounce of hard liquor (=13% ABV) would be a decent place to start experimenting.

If I were planning for a party and didn't have time to experiment, I think you would be safe at 3:1 (= 10% ABV), even if your mixture is relatively sweet.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Don't forget the cherry at the bottom.

One of my favorite drinks right now is the Hotel Georgia, I had it while I was dining at Hawksworth in Vancouver.

1 Fresh Egg White
1 3/4 ounce Plymouth Gin
1/2 ounce orgeat
3/4 ounce lemon juice
6 drops of orange blossom water
whole nutmeg

Combine egg whites, gin, orgeat, lemon juice and blossom water in a shaker and shake for 15 seconds. Add ice and shake for another 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled glass and top with grated nutmeg.
That would be a 'Ramos Fizz'. Made famous in New Orleans a million years ago and a brunch staple everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.