Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Time to reboot this topic?

What cocktails have you enjoyed lately, off the airliner or with your onboard bartender?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
BACARDI RAZZ MOJITO

1 part Bacardi Razz Flavored Rum
3 parts Club Soda
3 raspberries
12 Mint Leaves
1/2 Lime
1/2 Part Sugar

Serving Instructions:
Place 3 raspberries, 12 mint leaves, 1/2 part sugar and 1/2 lime in a glass. Muddle well with a pestle and fill glass with crushed ice. Add Bacardi Razz flavored rum, top off with club soda, stir well and garnish with sprigs of mint or a lime wheel...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
My favourite is served in London, UK at a luxury hotel.

Muddle basil and simple syrup in cocktail shaker with ice. Add Stolichnaya Strawberry Vodka, strain and serve in martini glass. Garnish with basil leaf.

Why is this my favourite? It was made in my honour, named after me, and is still available by name (though it is now under a different name on the bar menu).
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:41 am
Commander Catcop

Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised no one mentioned the Black Russian. It's vodka (I prefer Smernoffs SP? to some of the boutique vodkas) and Khalula.

It makes a very nice start of very nice dinner drink and is also yummy with a good cigar.

My FT friend and Big BRuddar PremEx introduced me to one years ago and it's my cocktail of choice.

Also, it's sweet and tastes like PEPSI

THanksfully United has brought back Kalula. United I believe was the one who brought the cocktail over from Hawaii in the 50's. After taking away Kalula flyers who asked for a Black RUssian got vodka with YUCKY Starbucks coffee liquor or cream or wahtever that horrid stuff was. I tried it and almost got very sick.

SO a good Black Russian is vodka and Kalula. Simple as that.

(Remember it's different from a White Russian which has cream in it.)
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Hey, it's Kahlúa!

-

My faves are the Manhattan made with rye, and a half gin - half vodka martini slightly dirty.

Yeah, boring, I know.

I also like the occasional lava flow, which is basically soft-serve for grown-ups. Not really booze.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'm about ready to switch to my winter drink - the Stinger. I'll also be swapping out some of the liquors in my bar from summer to winter. The Rye will be coming out of storage to add a little more warmth to my Manhattans.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by mattkorey
I'm a simple man, but I just love fresh squeezed orange juice and amaretto. A bit sweet for most people, but it is my absolute favorite drink.
+1

I tried this recently with some really good fresh orange juice and it was delicious. Not something I'd drink everyday, but definitely good for a treat ever once in awhile.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
The Rye will be coming out of storage to add a little more warmth to my Manhattans.
What is your recipe if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What is your recipe if you don't mind me asking?
2-3 oz rye or bourbon
1/4-1/2 oz Italian (sweet, red) vermouth

Shake and pour into a stemmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry. Hopefully you can find real Maraschino cherries, not the vile neon red things that are everywhere.

This weekend I needed to improvise and discovered that gin and Fresca is pretty tasty.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Tonight at Lucques Restaurant I had a Vodka Gimlet made with fresh lime juice and mint. Delicious.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Tonight at Lucques Restaurant I had a Vodka Gimlet made with fresh lime juice and mint. Delicious.
I'm sorry, the Gimlet must be made with Rose's Lime Juice, and only Rose's, cut with a little water. Even Tom Felten, author of How's Your Drink?, agrees.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
2-3 oz rye or bourbon
1/4-1/2 oz Italian (sweet, red) vermouth

Shake and pour into a stemmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry. Hopefully you can find real Maraschino cherries, not the vile neon red things that are everywhere.
Sounds pretty similar to mine. I usually use Canadian Club. Getting the right amount of vermouth is key and it can be tricky!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:49 am

For a refreshing gin rickey--over ice in a tall glass, 1 1/2-2 oz gin, juice from half a lime, toss in the shell, club soda.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Now that it's getting hot again, it's going to be another summer great for Moscow Mules. Mmmmmmmmmmm...... I like mine extra gingery.

Juice from one large lime
1/2 t Freshly grated ginger, muddled
2 oz. Vodka
3 oz. Ginger Beer
Dash bitters

Strain into a copper mug over ice.

Chris
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Sounds pretty similar to mine. I usually use Canadian Club. Getting the right amount of vermouth is key and it can be tricky!
Call me a liquor snob, but life is too short for Canadian Club...though to be fair, I've never had it.

Bourbons I like: Basil Hayden, Knob Creek
Rye: I like Rittenhouse...and it's cheap too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.