Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
HD Malbec Altamira, Mendoza
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
try their syrah
Will do, thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I swear I'm not a K&L shill...they're just my local wine shop for which I'm very fortunate.

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1204549

This is my first Chilean pinot and for $15, I'm impressed. It took an hour to open up, and I'm glad I had it with grilled tri tip instead of my usual pinot pairing of roasted poultry. Nice tannins that held up well with the beef.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:45 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by lili
On a similar note, do those aerator thingies do any good?
I never thought they'd make significant difference, but once I started using them, I can't go back. They work well and make a big difference.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
You can find any good Austrian Zweigelt sometimes for under $10 in the US or more importantly for €2-4 in Germany/Austria. Zweigelt goes great with any meal.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Any wine selling for €2 will have to be judged for other merits than taste.

IMHO, a red wine defined as going "great with any meal" might by someone else be regarded as something a possible opposite.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by onobond

IMHO, a red wine defined as going "great with any meal" might by someone else be regarded as something a possible opposite.
Im sorry but Im not sure I understand the point(s) you are trying to make. Would you care to elaborate further...?

Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Happy Camper Cab Sauv 2013

Happy Camper Cabernet 2013 - I think this is a great buy for $8 (or $7.20 buying 6 or more) at Total Wine. I bought a few but should have stocked up with more as our local store has now sold out.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im sorry but Im not sure I understand the point(s) you are trying to make. Would you care to elaborate further...?

Thank you.
I missed the point too unless he's saying any wine that sells for €2 has to be nasty.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I missed the point too unless he's saying any wine that sells for €2 has to be nasty.
Thanks for posting..... Im glad I wasn't the only one that appears "lost" with the above post....
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
which online merchant?

What's a reasonably priced online merchant for purchasing my red wine? I like the looks of www.wine.com They have a deal on shipping for $49/year. Includes as many orders, of any size, that you want. Their prices are very close to my local stores' prices and they have a huge variety. http://www.wine.com/free-shipping.aspx?state=CA

K&D doesn't seem to have any shipping deals but their prices seem competitive.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by philemer

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Thank you.
Sorry, guys... I've been busy travelling AND reporting delayed/missing luggage (3rd time in 6 months ) and calling to find out the fate of the bag...

Disclaimers:
1. I can't recall ever drinking an Austrian Zweigelt.
2. Million years ago in late teens, travelled around Europe and was happy to find hip flasks in German shops with "Jamaican Rhum Verschnitt" for 2 DM, eqvivalent to $1.60 at that time. That was "great with any meal" that our meagre budget allowed, turning greater for every refill, but of course other merits than taste were primary objectives.
3. Any wine, selling for 35-50% lower than "cheap" wines might not get the 90+ score by Robert Parker
4. Considering the variety of food that might be accompanied by wine of any sort, IMHO it's a very bold statement that one single wine would be "great with any meal", ie going well with oysters, Thai curry dishes, Argentinian prime steaks and creme caramel.
5. My statement is, of course based on experience from beeing a rather keen wine (amateur) taster for some 35+ years.
6. IMHO, the judgement is rather similar to if I'd written that any car selling for $2500 (in 2008 prices), will have to be judged for other merits than safety, speed and comfort. Reference: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17984516

Can't recall ever mentioning the ugly word nasty
But we can surely agree that we all have different tastes, can't we?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
Sorry, guys... I've been busy travelling AND reporting delayed/missing luggage (3rd time in 6 months ) and calling to find out the fate of the bag...

Disclaimers:
1. I can't recall ever drinking an Austrian Zweigelt.
2. Million years ago in late teens, travelled around Europe and was happy to find hip flasks in German shops with "Jamaican Rhum Verschnitt" for 2 DM, eqvivalent to $1.60 at that time. That was "great with any meal" that our meagre budget allowed, turning greater for every refill, but of course other merits than taste were primary objectives.
3. Any wine, selling for 35-50% lower than "cheap" wines might not get the 90+ score by Robert Parker
4. Considering the variety of food that might be accompanied by wine of any sort, IMHO it's a very bold statement that one single wine would be "great with any meal", ie going well with oysters, Thai curry dishes, Argentinian prime steaks and creme caramel.
5. My statement is, of course based on experience from beeing a rather keen wine (amateur) taster for some 35+ years.
6. IMHO, the judgement is rather similar to if I'd written that any car selling for $2500 (in 2008 prices), will have to be judged for other merits than safety, speed and comfort. Reference: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=17984516

Can't recall ever mentioning the ugly word nasty
But we can surely agree that we all have different tastes, can't we?
We all have different tastes! I should have clarified by "great with any meal" that it's a nice everyday wine. Obviously, serve a different wine for oysters, steak, etc....it's just nice to have a good and inexpensive everyday wine. Austrian Zweigelts are usually inexpensive in Austria by glass or bottle as well. It's also becoming more common in high end restaurants in the US (although with a much higher price tag). Also, that was just my opinion and I definitely respect yours!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysilver
...it's just nice to have a good and inexpensive everyday wine.
My idea of a "good, inexpensive, everyday" wine is a $30 cabernet I can drink with my peanut butter sandwich. (And yeah, I've done that many times for dinner.)
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Angeline Pinot Noir. Retails at the local total wine for $11. It's very drinkable and pairs well with a number of foods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.