Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I just pick a varietal/area I like and pick a label I that looks interesting in that price range.
No reading reviews and research? Don't you have a "go to" wine that you buy often?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
No reading reviews and research? Don't you have a "go to" wine that you buy often?
I always have Beaux Freres and Freeman pinot noir on hand, but they are more than $25/bottle.

What research? The best research is a taste!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:20 am

I just pick a varietal/area I like and pick a label I that looks interesting in that price range.
Originally Posted by philemer
I find buying wine by producer (rather then by grape or region) is a particularly US characteristic and not really a feature in Europe particularly in the cheaper price range on this thread (classed Bordeaux & to a lesser extent Burgundy excepted). I’m not sure whether it’s things like DOC & similar standards make variance less likely that is the reason.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I find buying wine by producer (rather then by grape or region) is a particularly US characteristic and not really a feature in Europe particularly in the cheaper price range on this thread (classed Bordeaux & to a lesser extent Burgundy excepted). I’m not sure whether it’s things like DOC & similar standards make variance less likely that is the reason.
Interesting! I do usually pick based on varietal and region. I think you've hit on it: in this price range those are the big things; a $20 Bordeaux is probably going to be like most others in that price range. But I actually don't like the New World style of winemaking (too fruit forward in reds and too oaky in Chardonnay) so I go with producers I know I like.

I have found that Spanish wines are the best bang for the buck. Which is good for me because I love Rioja and albarino anyway.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

At $15, I'm quite pleased.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:39 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Interesting! I do usually pick based on varietal and region. I think you've hit on it: in this price range those are the big things; a $20 Bordeaux is probably going to be like most others in that price range. But I actually don't like the New World style of winemaking (too fruit forward in reds and too oaky in Chardonnay) so I go with producers I know I like.

I have found that Spanish wines are the best bang for the buck. Which is good for me because I love Rioja and albarino anyway.
I agree about Spanish wines. After lots of trial and error, when in doubt or faced with a vast amount of choices, I just buy an Italian, Portuguese or Spanish wine. My theory is that these wine producing areas, compared to France or Napa, are like the old Avis commercial... "We're #2, so we try harder." It seems like I'm more likely to enjoy a reasonably priced Iberian wine than one from California or France, where the price tag closely follows the quality.

My method is to buy a few bottles at the store, TJ's or the discount store, then, if I like it, I go back and buy a case and put it in the cellar. I bought a case of the Cavaliere d' Oro yesterday. They've been making wine since the Middle Ages. If they haven't gone out of business in 500 years, I figure they're doing something right. As an added bonus, they have a pretty label with a horse on it. SOLD!

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 22, 2021 at 8:50 am Reason: Added photo of my newest wine
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego

I agree about Spanish wines. After lots of trial and error, when in doubt or faced with a vast amount of choices, I just buy an Italian, Portuguese or Spanish wine. My theory is that these wine producing areas, compared to France or Napa, are like the old Avis commercial... "We're #2, so we try harder." It seems like I'm more likely to enjoy a reasonably priced Iberian wine than one from California or France, where the price tag closely follows the quality.
I mostly agree with you. My theory is that it is more like buying the Kia or Hyundai - the wine performs just as good or better, but no one is going to point and stare when you drive down the street, even if your driving experience is better than a car with a "fancy" nameplate. I don't think those places "try harder," but rather, don't try "hard enough" to make their wines into an overpriced overblown, and highly manipulated product.

When in unkonwnlandia, I'm most likely to pick a European import from Spain, Italy (mostly south) and France (which has plenty of great and tasty value outside of the nameplate regions).
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Dont forget the stuff from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fredd and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego

My method is to buy a few bottles at the store, TJ's or the discount store, then, if I like it, I go back and buy a case and put it in the cellar. I bought a case of the Cavaliere d' Oro yesterday. They've been making wine since the Middle Ages. If they haven't gone out of business in 500 years, I figure they're doing something right. As an added bonus, they have a pretty label with a horse on it. SOLD!
Report back how it is....my last big trip before shutdown was 10 days in Puglia and I would like to have a wine from there just for the memories. Where did you buy it?
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I tend to buy by varietal/region for both US and Europe. For the US I've visited most of the primary west coast regions (at least the primary ones likely to distribute nationally) and found some things I like.

But if I'm looking for something new from a particular region, I'm not above being influenced by a cool-looking label.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:56 pm

Cuatro Rayas Vendimia Nocturna, a Verdejo from Spain $10
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If I'm looking for a full bodied red for under $10

Breca Garnacha de Fuego Old Vines

Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by corky
Report back how it is....my last big trip before shutdown was 10 days in Puglia and I would like to have a wine from there just for the memories. Where did you buy it?
Not who you're asking, but I did see this at Grocery Outlet, bought a bottle, and it was perfectly quaffable - even at double the $4 or so I paid. Maybe it was $5.
StartinSanDiego and corky like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:28 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not who you're asking, but I did see this at Grocery Outlet, bought a bottle, and it was perfectly quaffable - even at double the $4 or so I paid. Maybe it was $5.
Yeah, I got mine at Grocery Outlet. My favorite wine shop.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Readers Cab. by J. Bookwalter Winery, WA. Abt $12-13 $14 at Costco. Worth every penny.
carlhaynes likes this.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 24, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.