Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

I was a little hesitant to start this thread after I read a number of wine posts from the last 6 months. Many posts are about high-end red wines. So, for Joe-lunch-bucket, what is your favorite everyday red wine that retails for $12 or less per bottle?

I love red wine but can't afford to spend a lot. Please list where you usually buy it. I enjoy Beringer Founder's Estate Merlot and Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cab. Both available at most grocery stores and both uinder $10.

Phil
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Columbia Crest is generally USD 7 something (rarely over 8), fwiw, and it is pretty good value. Even better value is the Trader Joe Terra Australis Reserve Shiraz (circa USD 7, and much better than the non-Reserve shiraz, which costs USD 5). In terms of absolute value (price/performance), I've found TJ private label is always the best, their buyers seem to have a sharp eye and lots of bargaining power. Same for the "two buck chuck" Charles Shaw label sold by TJ. The other wines at TJ are sometimes good value, sometimes not (only their private label is always cheap).
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Columbia Crest is generally USD 7 something (rarely over 8), fwiw, and it is pretty good value. Even better value is the Trader Joe Terra Australis Reserve Shiraz (circa USD 7, and much better than the non-Reserve shiraz, which costs USD 5). In terms of absolute value (price/performance), I've found TJ private label is always the best, their buyers seem to have a sharp eye and lots of bargaining power. Same for the "two buck chuck" Charles Shaw label sold by TJ. The other wines at TJ are sometimes good value, sometimes not (only their private label is always cheap).
Unfortunately, no Trader Joes in Boise yet. The Columbia Crest Grand Reserve is $8.99-9.99 here. The regular Columbia Crest label is about $6-7 here. The next time I'm at a TJ I'll try your recommendations.

Phil
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Given your price range, Alexander Valley cabs are fairly consistent in quality and are often very reasonably priced.

Geyser Peak can often be found on special at my local Safeway for under $15. I know that's not under $12, but IMO, worth the slight premium.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:17 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Wolfblass yellow label cab sauv - in the UK this can be found within your price range.

I'd also check out some of the South African wines available, they are making excellent good value reds
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir sells for $11.99 on sale, not too bad....
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
For those with OMNI access, this thread may be helpful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618879
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer
For those with OMNI access, this thread may be helpful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618879
Thanks for the link.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I have had good luck with Red Truck. I have served it at several parties and given many bottles away as gifts, and I always get compliments on it.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: AA plt,Ltgold
Yellow tail Shiraz & Merlot are not bad for $11-12 for 1.5 lt bottle.
Jacobs creek Merlot & Cab around $8 is good too.
Both are available cheaper at Sams club but pretty close at the local wine store.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:10 pm

I've enjoyed several Chilean cabernets from the Colchagua Valley that, at least last time I bought them, were well within your price range. One that we particularly liked was Luis Felipe Edwards, purchased at our local wine shop. Cheers!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
For our Australian FTers I recommend Angove's Butterfly Ridge Shiraz/Cab. Its as low as $7 a bottle but for the price its a very good drop. Of course Australia make loads of great red wines under $12. Your best bet is to buy wine from South Australia, Victoria or the NSW riverland. These regions make the most consistent wines in the lower price bracket.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS, AA, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX
Very good value for Cab-Merlot...

...Columbia Crest 2002 Two Vines Cabernet-Merlot - $7 at QFC...

My wine friends all thought it went for much more, dollar-wise, and every one of them thought it an excellent value...stock up!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Pillar Cabernet

Screw top.

$10.

Tastes like a wine triple the price
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:37 am

We also enjoy the Beringer Founders Estate line...the Shiraz is our favorite but seems hard to find. We buy it and the Founders Estate Pinot Noir by the case and it's one of our usual "drinking wines". The local Stew Leonards (great liquor store, btw, if you are on LI or in western CT) has 5 varieties of Beringer Founders Estate for $8.99/bottle.

We like the Columbia Crest too. Also enjoy Black Opal.

Used to be able to find a great little wine called La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Ventoux but haven't been able to find that either of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.