Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, US, NWorst
Norton Malbec and anything by Montes (red or white)
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:08 am

Bogle Petitte Syrah. I don't know much about wines, but this one stood out.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by IC Expert
You sometimes can still find a Henery of Pelham Baco Noir for $12, at most $16. Best value I have ever experienced.
I will be visiting this winery and tasting (and probably buying) The RESERVE Henry Baco Noir this weekend!. (I grew up just down the road from the winery)

Baco Noir is a Varietal similar to Pinot which is doing very well in the Niagara Peninsula, Canada. Hard to describe it- you have to taste it!

Cheers!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Big House Red by Bonny Doon
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA
I second the vote for Chilean reds and in particular the recommendation for Santa Rita Reserva.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:00 pm

Rex Goliath California Cabernet Sauvignon

I enjoy all the Rex Goliath Giant 47 Pound Rooster wines that are sold at our Kroger for about $9 and sometimes on special for less. I particularly like the Cabernet Sauvignon, and the Merlot and Pinot Noir ar good as well.

Rex Goliath Giant 47 Pound Rooster
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:04 pm

I just tried Cline Five Reds, pretty good for under $12. Liberty School Cab used to be available for under 12, but I think it is more now...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:02 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sandyweb33
Big House Red by Bonny Doon
Bonny Doon has some great stuff. But, it gets pricy.

Right now some of the best values are in the Australian wines. I got a very tasty Cabernet recently for just over 4 bucks a bottle. Lindemans Cabernet Sauvignon Bin #45. A promotion at Von's. Usual retail is around seven bucks.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Three recommendations

The best red I have found for under $12 is Cline Zinfandel. Cline is the winery that also makes Red Truck which was mentioned in an earlier post.

The best cab in the price range is Haywood which is typically less than $7 a bottle. The 2000 cab tastes like a $25 bottle

The best Merlot in this range (in my opinion) is Seven Moons. Sort of hard to find but if you can find it, it is worth a try.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
McGuigan Shiraz. I used to be able to buy it for $5.99 - I get excited now if I find it under $10. Fabulous buy. Everyone I've served it to swears it's an expensive bottle. I like it better than bottles 10 x it's price.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
If you raise your target to $12-$18 a bottle the universe of good choices is so much larger. Under $12? you will occassionally get lucky but good wines at that price point are really hard to find.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
Try the Columbia Crest Merlot 2003. It is widely available in grocery stores and I typically see it for $10.99, but can be as low as 8.99 on sale. It just got a 90 from Wine Spectator in the Dec 'Top 100' issue.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
If you raise your target to $12-$18 a bottle the universe of good choices is so much larger. Under $12? you will occassionally get lucky but good wines at that price point are really hard to find.
True, but the whole point of this thread is that there are good wines at low prices. I well remember my first attempt to buy good wines. I walked into Martin Wine Cellar in New Orleans about 12 years ago ready to spend $300 on one case of various chardonnays plus another of cabernets. Mr. Martin didn't wait on me, and handed me off to Mr. Jean Charlebois. Jean looked at me and said, "Do you really like just chardonnay and cabernet?"

"I don't know exactly what I like, but I want to find out."

We crisscrossed that store I don't know how many times, and finally I asked him why he was so excited. "If you're paying $35 a bottle you can be fairly certain the wine will be good. If you're paying $8-12 the good stuff is out there, but it's a fun challenge to find it." I left with two cases of wines from all over the world, and have enjoyed the hunt for good values ever since.

Enjoy the fun challenge of finding values. Enjoy good wine.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I know nothing about this wine, but have never had anything from Wellington I didn't like. Got an e-mail from them saying their red table wine is going for $5 a bottle in case lots today, end of year and all that.

wellingtonvineyards.com
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
The universe of available wines is massive but no matter where wines are made the economics of making a good wine make it very difficult to produce and make a living at the sub $12 range. You will see the occassional awesome wine such as the 2001 Las Rocas VV from Spain for $6 or $7 a bottle. The average person looking for a good bottle of wine at a fair price will have an extremely difficult time finding these wines.

The challenge may simply be that my definition of a good wine and others is simply not the same. My suggestion is to raise your budget to the $12-$18 range go to a good wine shop and ask the owner to show you value wines imported by Kermit Lynch or North Berkeley.

These two importers have a knack for identifying terrific producers, they import numerous wines that you can cellar for 3-5 years and that won't set you back more than $20.

It's particularly worth looking at 2004 & 2005 wines from the Southern Rhone in France. These were terrific vintages and odds are high that you can find terrific wines in the $12-$15 range.

Here is an example of what you can find at just a little more than $12

http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?item=9967#|price_d[vin]

And here's one on 'sale' that temporarily can be had for less than $12

http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.as...P=ILC-alsolike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.