Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just bought my next year's supply of drinking red: Domaine de la Jasse Vieilles Vignes (8 cases and 4 magnums) which worked out at a little over £9 per bottle, all in, from The Wine Company. En route from France now. If it's anything like previous vintages, it drinks like a £25 bottle from a supermarket (in fact, thinking about it, £25 bottles from supermarkets are generally not very good....)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whole Foods sells a garnacha called Vina Borgia that I like a lot as a daily drinker. About $22 for a 3L box.

https://www.reversewinesnob.com/2014...-garnacha.html
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I've taken a liking to this Portuguese drop - Porta 6 red by Vidigal Wines: Porta 6 ? Vidigal Wines

The last bottles I bought cost about AUD $10 at Costco in Australia.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Brouilly 2015 from Jeroboams. Came in at £10 which fits the category as Americans would add tax to their $12. However, it was a bin end sadly, so no more of that at such an amazing price.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:19 am

d’Arenberg The Stump Jump GSM at my grocer for $9.99.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I'm going to search my local stores for this one. Don't think I've ever seen it.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I'm going to search my local stores for this one. Don't think I've ever seen it.
Good luck finding it. We have some fairly decent wine shops in NOLA, but they carry very few Australian wines, if any. Surprisingly, my grocer has a decent range of Australian wineries. One of the things that the grocery is known for is it’s wine and liquor department. You might, also, want to look for Yalumba wines, especially, “The Y Series”, reds and whites. Similarly priced at $9.99. I’m usually not a Chardonnay drinker, but the Yalumba The Y Series Unwooded Chardonnay is one that I enjoy.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good luck finding it. We have some fairly decent wine shops in NOLA, but they carry very few Australian wines, if any. Surprisingly, my grocer has a decent range of Australian wineries. One of the things that the grocery is known for is it’s wine and liquor department. You might, also, want to look for Yalumba wines, especially, “The Y Series”, reds and whites. Similarly priced at $9.99. I’m usually not a Chardonnay drinker, but the Yalumba The Y Series Unwooded Chardonnay is one that I enjoy.
Thanks for the tips. I've seen Yalumba around here.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Mrs. Fredd and I toured McLaren Vale with FT friends during an Ozfest some years ago and stopped in at d'Arenberg's tasting room. They put out some nice wines, including The Stump Jump, and we ordered a mixed case from the US distributor after returning home (cheaper in the US than in Oz). We still find them in the Northwest.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19 Crimes

Checked 2 different Albertsons in my area for OZ wine and only a few were found. None of the above suggestions. So I grabbed a 19 Crimes red blend for $10 and poured some tonight. Black & red fruit flavors and some vanilla. Very smooth & drinkable for $10. Total Wines sells it for $8.97 but shipping pushes the price higher. Will buy again.

Interesting story about 19 Crimes history here: https://vinodelvida.com/best-wine-va...crimes-review/ Criminal from GB could be exiled to OZ for any of 19 crimes. They even have an app that tells you about each criminal on the various labels.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 8, 2020 at 10:34 pm
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Raise the bar to <$14 or <$15?

I'd like to get some feedback to the idea of raising the bar to reds <$14 or $15. All feedback appreciated. Lots of inflation since this thread was started.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. I usually spend $15-25 on a bottle.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'd like to get some feedback to the idea of raising the bar to reds <$14 or $15. All feedback appreciated. Lots of inflation since this thread was started.
Good idea!
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Agreed. I usually spend $15-25 on a bottle.
What are a couple favs in the $15 range?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are a couple favs in the $15 range?
I just pick a varietal/area I like and pick a label I that looks interesting in that price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.