Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by unifer
Try getting your hands on a recent issue of Wine Spectator - they always have a section of whatever the main wines they review dedicated to "value" wines, which I believe they call $15 or less. The value wines will be rated along with the regular buys, and I've found lots of interesting wines I never would have thought to try or heard of this way. That's the real value of the magazine, IMHO.
The WS and Cigar Aficionado have been known to manufacture ratings in the 90s in exchange for full page advert contracts. It's a Marvin Shanken thing. If the wine is a non-advertizing small producer you can trust the #s more.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I actually really like the Apothic red. I think it's about $8 at Sam's Club. I'm not a big wine connoisseur, but I will go out of my way to buy this stuff. I've had the Apothic white as well but I don't find that nearly as tasty.
Based on recommendations here I bought a bottle of Apothic Red a few weeks ago and opened it tonight. It's surprisingly rich and sweet. It goes well with junk food or for sipping while watching TV. It's tasty, but in the same way that Coke is tasty. I'm not saying it's bad... it's just not a typical red wine.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:21 pm

Been drinking some Gato Negro cabernet-merlot blend lately. Surprisingly good, embarrassingly cheap. Around $5 a bottle, or around $12 for a 3L box (equiv. 4 bottles). Dry, good body, surprising character. Better than many $10 wines. Trust me. I usually can't stand ultra-cheap wines, but this one is different. You would never guess it's so cheap.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Based on recommendations here I bought a bottle of Apothic Red a few weeks ago and opened it tonight. It's surprisingly rich and sweet. It goes well with junk food or for sipping while watching TV. It's tasty, but in the same way that Coke is tasty. I'm not saying it's bad... it's just not a typical red wine.
Apothic Red has some flavor that I haven't tasted in most red blends. Can anyone identify it? Perhaps something akin to vanilla? I admit my palate is burned out for the most part - I blame it on too many hot peppers that wiped out my taste buds, but that's only because I can't think of a better excuse.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by janetdoe

Last year my 'case' red wine was the Sterling Vintner's Collection Meritage. I find the Sterling label to be pretty reliable, and usually under the $12 price point with sales and discounts.
First time stumbling into this thread. I am very much Francophile when it comes to wine but came across the Sterling Meritage by accident a about 2 years ago and I consider it my "domestic" wine for steak/filet. I can sometimes find it for $8-10/bottle after sales/case discount and I think for the price and widespread availability. Its a great "Its Wednesday and I want to have NY Strip/Filet Mignon for dinner with some potatoes/veggies"
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerwife

Used to be able to find a great little wine called La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Ventoux but haven't been able to find that either of late.
World Market usually has this wine (although as we all know their wine inventories do fluctuate a good deal). A good find for a $7-8 bottle of wine and its good if you are somewhere you don't have a cork screw

Actually while we are on Cotes du Ventoux, World Market sometimes has the Delas version of this for about $12 and that and their Cotes du Rhone are nice wine for the price.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:33 pm

This week I've discovered Third Wheel California Red Table wine. Priced at $6.99 from Total Wines. I think it's a great choice for an everyday red blend.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:31 am

If you live on the Left Coast of the US and have a Grocery Outlet in your vicinity, you should check out their capacious wine selection. I guarantee, you'll find it hard to buy wine anywhere else once you get hooked on it. Their selection changes daily, and you may have to kiss a few frogs to find the princes, but oh, the winners! I've gotten plenty of wines that sold for 30 and up on the winery websites for 5 bucks or less. And there's definitely something for everyone there, including lots of the sweetish reds that we don't prefer but lots of folks on this site do.

My last batch of wines included a 3 liter box of Cultivate's Copa Cabana Chilean Cab/Carmenere blend for 3.99 a box (yup--that kicks 2 Buck Chuck's butt price-wise and absolutely quality-wise), a Vertikal Spatlese Riesling for 3.99, Robert Oatley Rose of Sangiovese at 3.99, Wolf Blass Presidential Shiraz for 4.99, and Deep Sea Chardonnay at 3.99.

Seriously, they had a really killer cab for 10 bucks that I had a hard time pulling the trigger on because who wants to spend that kind of cash for a cab at Grocery Outlet, even if it did sell for 30 bucks elsewhere? That's the kind of spoiled you get at GO...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Parducci Pinot Noir
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by flitcraft
If you live on the Left Coast of the US and have a Grocery Outlet in your vicinity, you should check out their capacious wine selection. I guarantee, you'll find it hard to buy wine anywhere else once you get hooked on it. Their selection changes daily, and you may have to kiss a few frogs to find the princes, but oh, the winners! I've gotten plenty of wines that sold for 30 and up on the winery websites for 5 bucks or less. And there's definitely something for everyone there, including lots of the sweetish reds that we don't prefer but lots of folks on this site do.

My last batch of wines included a 3 liter box of Cultivate's Copa Cabana Chilean Cab/Carmenere blend for 3.99 a box (yup--that kicks 2 Buck Chuck's butt price-wise and absolutely quality-wise), a Vertikal Spatlese Riesling for 3.99, Robert Oatley Rose of Sangiovese at 3.99, Wolf Blass Presidential Shiraz for 4.99, and Deep Sea Chardonnay at 3.99.

Seriously, they had a really killer cab for 10 bucks that I had a hard time pulling the trigger on because who wants to spend that kind of cash for a cab at Grocery Outlet, even if it did sell for 30 bucks elsewhere? That's the kind of spoiled you get at GO...
Buy all the Wolf-Blass you can get your hands on. A good price would be $14.99 NOT 4.99.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Two Malbecs from Argentina well within this threads price range.....

Aniello 006 Malbec, Patagonia
Aguijon de Abeja Malbec, Mendoza
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Gaucho! I've only visited the vineyards on the left side of the Andes and it's great to have something to try on the opposite side.

Lately I've been enjoying Wildhaven Blazing Red 2012, from Columbia Valley, Washington. I think I paid just under $12 at Total Wine.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Hey, where is everybody? Hope you all haven't graduated to the $30-40 bottles.

Anyway, one of my current red blend favorites is Rare Red "Grape 4 Blend" red table wine from Scottocellars -- on sale in my area for $7.95.
For the past couple of months this one has been priced at $5.99 at Trader Joes. Def worth a try if you like the red blends on the sturdy side.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Thanks for the suggestions Gaucho! I've only visited the vineyards on the left side of the Andes and it's great to have something to try on the opposite side.

Lately I've been enjoying Wildhaven Blazing Red 2012, from Columbia Valley, Washington. I think I paid just under $12 at Total Wine.
On the subject of Total Wine, its my experience that they do have an OK selection of entry level Malbecs (mostly private labels).... you may be able to find a few that are worth a try.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we are in lisbon at the moment. the whites under $7, and the reds under $15 are very fine.

the markup at the restaurant is very small. worth the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.