Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I like Connie's Pizza from the original South Side location. I agree that the dried out crap at the Hyatt is bad.

However the 10 worst pizza places in the USA are any 10 Domino's that you happen upon.
Sorry, Dominos is lousy in my opinion, but it doesnt even come close to the real dark side of the pizza world. Dominos is more or less just boring as far as I am concerned. It isnt a crime against humanity like some of the really, really bad places.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Sorry, Dominos is lousy in my opinion, but it doesnt even come close to the real dark side of the pizza world. Dominos is more or less just boring as far as I am concerned. It isnt a crime against humanity like some of the really, really bad places.
Not ever ONE of the bottom 10?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by YXU Dude
poached egg and/or diced potatoes and/or mayonnaise and/or canned tuna and/or canned corn and/or dried fish shavings and/or teriyaki chicken and/or curry. to name a few "choices". and usually with tabasco sauce on the side.

and a 12" medium from dominos with crapola like that on it cost something like $25.

momma mia!
Shakey's in Tokyo cost a whopping Y3000 for the largest, meat lovers thing they had.

After adding red peppers, it started to taste good.. or it was just good for the fact I was w/o pizza for weeks prior.

When looking at the menu, I basically said "you got to be kidding me" but found the meat lovers to be relatively decent.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Q:What's the difference between a St. Louis style pizza and a bowling ball?
A: If you had to, you could eat a bowling ball.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:20 pm

Any place serving "St Louis style" pizza.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:05 pm

STL-STYLE PIZZA--Let me explain!!

I am a St. Louis native and I lived there for 27 years until moving to New England last year. For the first 17 years of my life, I hated St. Louis style pizza but it was the only pizza that my dad would order. (His favorite-Cecil Whittaker's anchovy pizza--you would think St. Louis Style pizza couldn't get any sharper.)

After ignoring stacks of oversized pizza boxes in my family's refrigerator for years, I finally started eating it and now I crave it.

St. Louis style pizza is best when eaten cold: roll over the thin powdery cracker-crust pieces and top them with black olives or hamburger. No more than two toppings at a time. Otherwise, eat the pizza reheated and generously sprinkled with red pepper flakes. And be sure to accompany Imo's or Cecil Whittakers STL-Style pizza with Bud Light. One of the best things about STL style pizza, is that it doesn't get soggy.

You can also enjoy Talayna's (it moved) and Cicero's for great non stl-style pizza right in the U-City loop or you can enjoy our traditional Italian food on "The Hill."
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Any pizza in southern California! Californians are totally clueless when it comes to pizza!!! To start with, they're half-uncooked! Pizza crust with the consistency of bubble gum and uncooked veggies and other strange and unappealing toppings....pineapple, bamboo shoots, clams, and barbeque sauce? Yecch!!! And raw, sliced tomatoes, but no hand-crushed cooked tomato sauce??? Disgusting!!!

I've had several southern Californians recommend Round Table Pizza. Well, I tried them twice, and both times the pizza was so bad that I couldn't finish it!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SemiElite
Any pizza in southern California! Californians are totally clueless when it comes to pizza!!! To start with, they're half-uncooked! Pizza crust with the consistency of bubble gum and uncooked veggies and other strange and unappealing toppings....pineapple, bamboo shoots, clams, and barbeque sauce? Yecch!!! And raw, sliced tomatoes, but no hand-crushed cooked tomato sauce??? Disgusting!!!

I've had several southern Californians recommend Round Table Pizza. Well, I tried them twice, and both times the pizza was so bad that I couldn't finish it!
In Southern California, you have to avoid Pizza joints.The only decent pizza will be found in good, up-scale restaurants (which happen
to serve pizza. In my neighborhood there are some truly vile pizza joints (Maria's, Frankie & Johnnie's). Good pizza can be found at Toscana, Divino, La Scala. Look for good pizza in good restaurants in So Cal. Da Pasquale in Beverly Hills is a great example of a restaurant with pizza on the menu. Pizza is excellent, but not the primary focus.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
The alleged pizza in any Amtrak lounge or snackbar car.

Microwaved pizza? The horror, the horror....

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Little Stevie's

Boylston St, Boston.

Big slices and not so horrible after a million beers since they're open 'til 3am, but I actually saw the guy mop out the oven with the same mop he does the floor with. I guess that's the secret spice!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by Amicus
Another vote for Cici's. Ugh. There's a reason the Cici's all you can eat pizza buffets cost $4.49. Can't eat more than one slice!
I'll add my vote for Cici's. Tried the Cici's in Boulder when it first opened-once.

While I was attempting to eat dinner, the assistant manager was hassling a person at another table for only eating the toppings and not the crust, saying that they couldn't have any more slices unless they ate the crust because without eating the crust they could eat a disproportionate number of slices. (Not sure why they would have wanted to, but Boulder is an expensive college town to live in, cheap goes a long way for most students....)
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by YXU Dude
poached egg and/or diced potatoes and/or mayonnaise and/or canned tuna and/or canned corn and/or dried fish shavings and/or teriyaki chicken and/or curry. to name a few "choices". and usually with tabasco sauce on the side.

and a 12" medium from dominos with crapola like that on it cost something like $25.

momma mia!
I once saw--didn't order--a fried egg and raisin pizza in a shop in the arcade under Tokyo Station just minutes before going to board the Narita Express. The memory of it haunted me, and on my next trip, I tried to find that particular pizza shop, but it was (deservedly) gone.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Corn is not as bad as it gets...

Originally Posted by Oxb
I agree. But I have seen corn pizza described as "American Style" in Germany and Switzerland. They seem to be confused
Was served a corn-and-spam "special" pizza in a Shakey's in Naha, Okinawa about 20 years ago. Pretty much as bad as it sounds...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:01 pm

Pizza Man--Stay away

I am a pizzaholic. When I first moved to LA from NJ, the first food I ordered out was pizza from a place called Pizza Man.

I took one bite and I cried. Would I have not have a choice and be forced to eat this crap? At this time there were no Domino's or other chains where I lived. I am not a fan of the chains by any means but until I explored further around LA, these places would have to do. LA does not know the concept of a slice of pizza either.

I am now in LA for 20 years and I still haven't found a decent NY pizza. As soon as return to NJ, the first thing I eat is pizza and never stop eating it until I leave. (No I am not a 400lb hippo either).

I don't even order it in restaurants for the fear of being disappointed, again.

Long live NY pizza.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by dane1
Was served a corn-and-spam "special" pizza in a Shakey's in Naha, Okinawa about 20 years ago. Pretty much as bad as it sounds...
That, minus the spam, was what was regularly served on Delta flights a couple years back. It reminded me of the reheated frozen pizza, very doughy crust & sweet sauce with minimal dry mozzarella, served at my high school snack bar. Minus the corn, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.