Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by sqwert
About 9 months ago in Cork Ireland, from a US chain shop to boot: Ordered a Pepperoni and Sausage,... corn niblets spread across it.

Jim
Same place must have been supplying DL's pizza. Either that or he got the same deal on niblets as DL's food service.

I definitely place corn in the category of inappropriate toppings. Same for beans of any sort.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tonerman
I have found the worst pizza to be at independent stores,one in Lilburn GA comes to mind.
might agree with this but certainly not the next statement

Originally Posted by tonerman
At least at the chains you have an idea what you are getting.
and this is the reason that the chains live on, people are too lazy to try new places so they SETTLE for mediocrity.

or they are too lazy to suggest an idea to the independent place. Most independents want to serve what their customers want, just ask.

By going to the chains, you've help kill off the independents and any hope for a superior truly worthwhile product.

To answer the OP's question, here in Chicago, Dominick's food stores serves up some very crappy cheap pizza. A cheap friend of mine recently served this at his party, when pizza goes uneaten at a drinkfest of a party, that is a clear indication that the pizza is terrible.

--
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, UA MP
Without a doubt, a Little Caesar's in Los Angeles that I visited in May. They have a $4.99 large pepperoni pizza on I think Thursday nights. Anyways, while taking a walk the next morning I blew chunks on some poor schmuck's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Went to Cedars Sanai after repeated problems keeping my food down. Spent 2 nights there for food poisoning (which happened to be the last 2 days of my trip) and after checking out of the hospital went straight to LAX for my return flight home. Worst pizza I ever had.

I was with a friend and neither of us looked at the star to find out whose name was on it...would have made for a better story though.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BamaVol
OT, but those brownies must vary from shop to shop. I don't think the local Domino's deepfries them in fresh oil. ewwwwww.
Is that what they do? I was wondering how they got them crispy on the outside and warm and mushy on the inside, yet greasy to the touch! Yuck!

I was with friends at a block yard sale. One of the neighbors took up a collection and got pizzas for all the neighbors. Those brownies, I guess, were a "bonus."
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:50 pm

Any pizza not from Ny lol!!

Except there is this pizza place in Portland, Oregon called Hot Lips. They have this pie called tomato overkill. It is so good, that I once flew out there for a pie LOL.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:05 pm

The only pizza we have ever had to throw out was made with provel cheese. Pizza with provel cheese is popular at some restaurants in the St. Louis area. It's probably one of those things that people like if they grow up eating it.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I'm good with Mata's. I have assumed that they are originally from New England, hence: grinders as opposed to subs, hoagies, etc.

A hint: ask them to grill the vegetables before they place them on the pizza and bake it.

My only worries: their health inspection grades are rarely within my comfort zone, the employees look like they were recruited at the local halfway house, the mens bathroom is frighteningly filthy and the building feels like it could fall down at any moment. I prefer to take the pizza home on the off-chance the building decides to collapse that evening.

edited to add: I tend to confuse their small pitchers for mugs. Your mother needs to worry about me if she is driving by as I'm leaving unless I bring one of my kids as a designated driver.

We should get together for a mini-do at Mata's some Friday night.
I try not to stay long enough to have to go to the loo, did it once, don't want to do it again. I wonder what the back kitchen that you can't see looks like. Sure would do a do there or O'Charley's if you prefer their walls and roof
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Same place must have been supplying DL's pizza. Either that or he got the same deal on niblets as DL's food service.

I definitely place corn in the category of inappropriate toppings. Same for beans of any sort.
Makes me think got to go and bad gas on top of that ewwww
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
I think Cici's is nasty!
another vote for Cici's
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:42 pm

Fortunately the place where I had the worst pizza ever is long gone. I ordered a pepperoni and black olive pizza. The pepperoni was weird, but the olives were the real winner. If you can imagine a pitted olive and the little plug that is popped out with the pit. I always assumed that they were tossed, but somehow this dive found where to buy them.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oldjack
The only pizza we have ever had to throw out was made with provel cheese. Pizza with provel cheese is popular at some restaurants in the St. Louis area. It's probably one of those things that people like if they grow up eating it.
I can't believe it took this many posts for somebody to bring up the abomination that is "St. Louis style" pizza. In addition to the provel cheese (in case the horrible taste wasn't enough, the cheese is a garish orange color, melts into runny goo, and sticks to your teeth), it also features crispy-cracker crust cut into little squares, and super-sugary tomato sauce ... ugh. The absolute worst.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Anybody with kids welcomes the day when you no longer have to go to birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
When I read the title, my first thought was Domino's. Yuck. I see other folks concur.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Anybody with kids welcomes the day when you no longer have to go to birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese.
At least pitchers of beer are available at Chuck E. Cheese. After a few cold ones, the place is somewhat bearable, especially if the Star Wars arcade game is open.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
might agree with this but certainly not the next statement

and this is the reason that the chains live on, people are too lazy to try new places so they SETTLE for mediocrity.

or they are too lazy to suggest an idea to the independent place. Most independents want to serve what their customers want, just ask.

By going to the chains, you've help kill off the independents and any hope for a superior truly worthwhile product.

--
I try to stay away from chains as much as possible but have had pizza at independents that made me wish I'd gone to Pizza hut.
But I do live in the south and its not exactly Chicago here as far as pizza is concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.