The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Daringdoo
Ok, so I have a question about Pizza Hut...

Does every PH pour about a quarter inch of oil in the bottom of the pan before adding the dough and 'baking' (it's almost like they're trying to fry the dough but I think it just ends up an oily, greasy, inedible crust)?

Edited to add:
Frozen pizza is what I would consider a completely different food group... like the difference between plastic wrapped cheese slices and a block of 'real' cheese
Pizza Hut puts the oil in the pan, next add the dough, and wait for the dough to rise.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Back when our kids were younger, and against our better judgment, my wife and I ordered a BBQ chicken pizza at Chuck E. Cheese's. It was just awful. Stick with the regular pizzas there -- they're nothing great, but at least they're edible.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
dominos is probably the worst...
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:34 pm
Original Member

As a St. Louis born-bred guy, I can empathize with your disdain for Imos/St. Louis style pizza. It is truly an acquired taste.

Very thin pizza is definitely the norm there, relatively flat and unleavened. Toppings are usually pretty high quality (I'm not one for sweet pizza sauce, but people differ).

The weirdness is the use of Hoffman's Provel tm cheese. It's a pasteurized process cheese food (think white Velveeta) which melts very evenly. Excellent wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza

Provel is either available in loaves (made into slices or shredded) or ropes (!) which is the loaf extruded through a meat grinder. The supermarkets sell it either way (btw, Schnuck's is an excellent chain, as is Dierberg's...the standard of supermarkets is really good in STL).

Funny story...my parents came to visit in Detroit last fourth of july. Staying downtown, we went into Greektown for dinner and went to a popular deep-dish pizza place here....but they insisted on thin crust which was pretty awful. Moral of the story..don't listen to the parents
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:48 pm

Programs: B6, DL, UA
McDonald's Pizza!

Does anyone else remember this disaster way back when?

I do, it was worse than any bad microwave pizza I've ever had.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:26 am
Original Member

OMG had forgotten about McDonald's Pizza. I lived in Kansas City about 15 yrs ago which was a test market.

They bought Donato's in Dayton when they did the diversification (Boston Market, Chipotle) which was pretty good pizza, but they overexpanded it and it's gone back to the Ohio area..
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Any "Ray's" or "Original Ray's" pizza in New York City.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:04 pm

Anybody Tried Talaynas Pizza In STL?

I haven't lived in St. Louis for years, but when I did, I was partial to Talayna's Pizza and cheese garlic bread. The original location was near Washington U., and they had others on Manchester and at Westport.

I agree with earlier posters about Imo's. However, Talayna's and the earlier-mentioned Fortels in Affton always had among the best pizzas I have ever had.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:52 pm

Another vote for Cici's. Ugh. There's a reason the Cici's all you can eat pizza buffets cost $4.49. Can't eat more than one slice!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:34 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
I think Cici's is nasty!
Yes .. I usually go for one or two slices and then have the salad for the rest of the meal.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Amicus
Another vote for Cici's. Ugh. There's a reason the Cici's all you can eat pizza buffets cost $4.49. Can't eat more than one slice!
Go with a youth soccer or little league team some time. I guarantee no kid stops at one slice.

There's a similar concept, I don't know how widespread, called Mr Gatti's. The price is higher and the so is the quality. When I worked in TN, we would call the local shop with requests before we left the office for lunch and they would be waiting for us on the buffet. 2 of the guys I worked with would try and top each other in how much heat they could handle. One of the cooks hit on the idea of mixing the juice from the jalapeno can into the dough. Instant forehead sweat! I wouldn't touch it, but it was fun to watch the others.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Amicus
You mean feces' pizza buffet?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:31 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Eatza Pizza Buffet... in Spokane, Washington

$2.99 all you can eat.

Enough said.

In Taipei, Pizza Hut commercials show some kind of deep-dish pizza filled with rice. I was on the treadmill at the gym the first time I saw one of these commercials and started guffawing, much to the consternation of the old ladies around me...
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by nancy61
Any "Ray's" or "Original Ray's" pizza in New York City.
i like the rays just north of times square!!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:38 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Back when our kids were younger, and against our better judgment, my wife and I ordered a BBQ chicken pizza at Chuck E. Cheese's. It was just awful. Stick with the regular pizzas there -- they're nothing great, but at least they're edible.
I can not speak from experience (no kids) but a friend of mine expressed his opinion that the nasty 89 cent frozen pizzas from the grocery store were better than anything from Chuck E. Cheese's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.