Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by ckforensic
I am culinarily fortunate to live in Eastern PA, which is close enough to New York to have really great pizza. Unfortunately, as a pizza addict and someone who loves to travel, I often find the "pizza" in other parts of the country and world to be terrible.

Specifically, Beijing, Indiana, and Florida. My wife and I ate at a Domino's in Beijing and it was repulsive. This was my first time eating at Domino's in many years, so I don't know how whether the poor quality was from being in China or from Domino's but I would guess that it was a combination of both.

My comment about the pizza in Indiana and Florida is more of a general statement as some places have decent pizza in these states, but you typically have to add other toppings to mask the poor taste of the pizza. I actually worked at a Little Caesar's in Florida when I was in college and I was able to make some pretty good pizzas there, but management did not support the extra costs needed to make the pizza good on a mass production basis.
If you ever make it to Miami try out andiamo brick oven pizza.....it is the only pizza I actually enjoy and the goat cheese....wonderful.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:40 pm

Cool Worst Pizza

Originally Posted by stevechin
I went to a friend's party in Pasadena, CA last year. I was charged with picking up (not ordering, but just picking up) the pizzas from a Little Caesars' off of Colorado Blvd. There were about 10 pizzas, but all of them were very dry, and the crust resembled a dense saltine cracker. They reminded me of baking a frozen pizza too long. We had about 20 people at the party and only 5-6 slices were actually consumed, the rest went into the trash. We complained to Little Caesars, but they pretty much said they'd give us a few vouchers for free pizzas, but no money back.

I've also never been impressed with Papa John's pizza. I think the crust is a little too chewy. Plus a pizza that needs a dipping sauce just doesn't seem all that right.

Steve
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
My JR High School

It was like bread with ketchup
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
My JR High School

It was like bread with ketchup
Kinda like New York pizza! <ducking>

Seriously, I like New York pizza.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:02 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Seriously, I like New York pizza.
In New York, I love Ray's Pizza
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by DLSIZE
In New York, I love Ray's Pizza
Half the pizza joints in New York call themselves Ray's. If you're referring to Original Ray's on 6th Ave. and 11th St., I agree. ^
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Although I've had my best pizzas at independent places, I've also had my 10+ worst pizzas in such places. Maybe more than that, as I don't care for NY pizza (at least the typical 'slice joints') at all, and I tried plenty of them. Then again, I haven't had a Little Caesars in 25+ years...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Half the pizza joints in New York call themselves Ray's. If you're referring to Original Ray's on 6th Ave. and 11th St., I agree. ^
While I love a "cheesy" slice, (and it has been a few years since I last made the trip to this establishment at 2 am), they just load too much cheese on their slices. Better pizza can be had in the City.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by HomeAgain
I agree - there is nothing worse than Cici's. I would take a still-frozen Jeno's pizza over that mess.
I almost agree with this. CiCi's is really bad. Not sure I could stomach a Jeno's pie either, though.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
On my list of the worst pizza...

PizzaHut - all
Dominos - all
Papa Johns - all
Shakeys - all
California Pizza Kitchen inside Angel Stadium
Frantones in Norwalk

then.. for the first time I tried CiCis outside of Dallas, TX. You call that pizza? Barf!

Little Caesars is not that great either, but for $5 livable.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by jbdk
On my list of the worst pizza...

Shakeys - all
I haven't eaten at or even seen/noticed a Shakeys since their original restaurant in Sacramento burned over 15 years ago, but before then, it was very very good. Their sauce was the best I've ever tasted. Your post will cause me to seek one out in my travels for a re-try.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
At least pitchers of beer are available at Chuck E. Cheese. After a few cold ones, the place is somewhat bearable, especially if the Star Wars arcade game is open.
They do not sell beer anymore. I hate going there for bday parties.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by braslvr
I haven't eaten at or even seen/noticed a Shakeys since their original restaurant in Sacramento burned over 15 years ago, but before then, it was very very good. Their sauce was the best I've ever tasted. Your post will cause me to seek one out in my travels for a re-try.
I've only had Shakey's overseas, but for pizza in the Philippines - where I had it - it was pretty good. Which isn't saying much; you're much better off with adobo for something relatively yank-friendly.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: HH Gold
Off the top of my head...

1) Pappy's - a small mom-and-pop type operation which used to be down the street from my new home, but just moved about 1.5 miles away. I've only had it once, so maybe I caught them on a bad day.

2) Little Caesars (everytime i've ever had it, it was terrible [even in the 90's]).

3) Any buffet which is not specifically a pizza buffet, and has one or two pizzas out (presumably to keep the kids happy).

It's hard to beat Pagliacci's and pretty much any independent strip-mall pizza joint in the Delaware Valley, IMHO.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:05 pm

Any pizza joint in Miami, Florida.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.