The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Hey, man, I have been to St. Louis, MO, and found it charming and the locals friendly, great sports town; but I never had any pizza. After reading descriptions in preceding posts too onerous to iterate, I nominate the entire city of St. Louis as being one of the 10 worst pizzas in the U.S.A. C'mon, St. Louis: Nowhere to go but up!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Travlynn
Costco pizza (but the price is right.)
I have to disagree. For the value, the pizza is actually excellent, especially the pizzas with everything on them.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I would like to add the entire category of Take-n-Bake pizza's. The one near me in CA was Papa Murphy's, I think. The equivalent of a thawed frozen pizza. After the novelty of the first, I can't imagine paying take-out prices for such crap and then having to provide my own oven. And they don't even offer delivery.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:26 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Add me to the "Cicci's Pizza is nasty" list, but I'm allergic to something in the sauce at Chuck E. Cheese, which I discovered after being forced to attend a child's birthday party there years ago. Lips swelled up to the size of a plum.

Man, I have eaten some really bad pizza in my day.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:41 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I have to disagree. For the value, the pizza is actually excellent, especially the pizzas with everything on them.
value and pizza should not be used in the same sentence when describing good pizza. If one can't afford a good (non-Costco or Safeway or (insert your crappy chain)) pizza perhaps one is living beyond their means.

Based upon a couple votes claiming it is a good pizza, I'm going to pick a Costco pizza up this Thursday and give it a try. Just to clarify, is this pizza that I take home a bake off or is this a cooked pizza that I'm picking up?

--
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
value and pizza should not be used in the same sentence when describing good pizza. If one can't afford a good (non-Costco or Safeway or (insert your crappy chain)) pizza perhaps one is living beyond their means.

Based upon a couple votes claiming it is a good pizza, I'm going to pick a Costco pizza up this Thursday and give it a try. Just to clarify, is this pizza that I take home a bake off or is this a cooked pizza that I'm picking up?

--
You and this thread were a topic at lunch today (not to mention your failure to show up ). I can't believe you're admitting to planning to do this!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:48 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You and this thread were a topic at lunch today (not to mention your failure to show up ). I can't believe you're admitting to planning to do this!
sorry I missed it, the saga of an broken down older car really only used to haul our dogs and go to the cottage v buying a new one, suburban public transportation (non-existent for the most part), etc etc, I'm bummed I missed it.

I in no way can imagine Costco having a great pizza but I will give it a shot tomorrow night. (I'm such a trooper)
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:21 am

I think my all-time worst would have to be a place in Penzance, England - it was on the seafront, attached to an old hotel, the Queen's (once probably lovely, but now with all the ambience of a really down-on-its-luck daycare centre).

I ordered a Margarita (going by the keep it simple, give them less chance to screw up philosophy). It came ice-cold, with a thick coating of sickly yellow tinned sweetcorn, and no cheese.

That was one trip I was very happy to cut short.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: LH SEN (I miss my HON days), Sixt Diamond, everything else is silver by now
That's nothing

I know we are getting of topic here (unless the UK is the 51st state still):

We I first stayed in the UK I was given the following under the description of Pizza:
Toast (slightly toasted)
Ketchup on top
Slice of Salami
Slice of Kraft Processed Cheese

You "pizza" sounds delicious

Originally Posted by limelight
I think my all-time worst would have to be a place in Penzance, England - it was on the seafront, attached to an old hotel, the Queen's (once probably lovely, but now with all the ambience of a really down-on-its-luck daycare centre).

I ordered a Margarita (going by the keep it simple, give them less chance to screw up philosophy). It came ice-cold, with a thick coating of sickly yellow tinned sweetcorn, and no cheese.

That was one trip I was very happy to cut short.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A slight reprieve for St. Louis.

Yes, the "St. Louis-style" pizzas are some of the worst pizzas imaginable.

However, if you find yourself in STL and want a pizza, go visit Fortel's Pizza Den. They use mozzerella cheese, it's not a wafer-thin crust, and it's fantastic.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
A slight reprieve for St. Louis.

Yes, the "St. Louis-style" pizzas are some of the worst pizzas imaginable.

However, if you find yourself in STL and want a pizza, go visit Fortel's Pizza Den. They use mozzerella cheese, it's not a wafer-thin crust, and it's fantastic.
Thanks for that tip. I go to STL fairly frequently and it would be nice to be able to get a good pizza. Odd thing is, there is some absolutely first rate Italian food in that town and yet alongside it some of the worst stuff imaginable.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol

2. In the mid 90's I ordered 2 pies from a new pizzeria in Tracy CA where I lived at the time. They used premade crusts, the consistency of a thick saltine cracker, and indescribable spices. The pizzeria was attached to an Indian restaurant. Despite a house full of teenagers, we threw out more than half. No one ate more than a slice.
That reminds me of the Tandoori chicken pizza that I had from Domino's in Chennai, India. (No, it wasn't my choice).
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:33 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
New York style in St. Louis

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks for that tip. I go to STL fairly frequently and it would be nice to be able to get a good pizza. Odd thing is, there is some absolutely first rate Italian food in that town and yet alongside it some of the worst stuff imaginable.
I don't mind Imo's personally but if you want damn good NY style pizza, you can't go wrong at Racanelli's

http://www.creativeon-line.com/racanellis.html

BTW, I've spent a lot of time on the east coast and Chicago and I've eaten a ton of crap. Like anywhere, you just need to ask around.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
There used to be a little chain around STL....and elsewhere in MO...called Minsky's. It wasn't too bad....if you didn't order "St. Louis style".
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

--
cooked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.