The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 WORST pizza places in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
I'm going to say Papa John's. I stumbled upon this chain in the Southern part of the US and have to say that this "pizza" is nothing more than a greasy, sloppy, mushy mess.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
At least pitchers of beer are available at Chuck E. Cheese. After a few cold ones, the place is somewhat bearable, especially if the Star Wars arcade game is open.
To get drunk enough for this to be true, I would be in the toilet for the entire time.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:24 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I definitely place corn in the category of inappropriate toppings. Same for beans of any sort.
I agree. But I have seen corn pizza described as "American Style" in Germany and Switzerland. They seem to be confused
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Toss another 'Cici's log' on the fire. Almost inedible.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Costco pizza (but the price is right.)

$5.00 Pizza on Friday's at Safeway (ditto.) (The $5.00 is for a plain cheese pizza, add a dollar for pepperoni and another dollar for the works.)

Maybe we need another thread - best pizza bargains!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: 1K
Ok, so I have a question about Pizza Hut...

Does every PH pour about a quarter inch of oil in the bottom of the pan before adding the dough and 'baking' (it's almost like they're trying to fry the dough but I think it just ends up an oily, greasy, inedible crust)?

Edited to add:
Frozen pizza is what I would consider a completely different food group... like the difference between plastic wrapped cheese slices and a block of 'real' cheese
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Uno's...especially the original in downtown Chicago....BLECH!

-W
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by danBfree
I can't believe it took this many posts for somebody to bring up the abomination that is "St. Louis style" pizza. In addition to the provel cheese (in case the horrible taste wasn't enough, the cheese is a garish orange color, melts into runny goo, and sticks to your teeth), it also features crispy-cracker crust cut into little squares, and super-sugary tomato sauce ... ugh. The absolute worst.
After 10 years in STL I can finally sort of tolerate "STL style" pizza, but I concur with the above description. It's basically very nasty. One friend (a PHL native) described it as "Cheez Whiz on a matzoh." Don't even get me started on "toasted" ravioli...

Thankfully, I'm in NYC frequently enough that I can get my real pizza fix satisfied. ^
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Travlynn
Costco pizza (but the price is right.)

$5.00 Pizza on Friday's at Safeway (ditto.) (The $5.00 is for a plain cheese pizza, add a dollar for pepperoni and another dollar for the works.)
here in Chicago, Dominick's (Safeway) food stores serves up some very crappy cheap pizza. A cheap friend of mine recently served this at his party. When pizza goes uneaten at a drinkfest of a party, that is a clear indication that the pizza is terrible!!!!

and this is the reason that the chains live on, people are too lazy to try new places or they go for a "bargain" pizza and SETTLE for mediocrity.

Really, if one can't afford a good pizza perhaps one is living beyond their means.

By going to the chains, you've help kill off the independents and any hope for a superior truly worthwhile product.

--
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Wingman32
Uno's...especially the original in downtown Chicago....BLECH!

-W
OK, with that remark you have lost all credibility. How are we ever to believe anything you say in any post from this point forward?

Seriously, however, for almost anyone who really enjoys pizza, the downtown Uno's is toward the top of their lists (at least for deep dish pizza) and the Uno's chain is what people dislike!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by danBfree
I can't believe it took this many posts for somebody to bring up the abomination that is "St. Louis style" pizza. In addition to the provel cheese (in case the horrible taste wasn't enough, the cheese is a garish orange color, melts into runny goo, and sticks to your teeth), it also features crispy-cracker crust cut into little squares, and super-sugary tomato sauce ... ugh. The absolute worst.

You sir, have not even begun to capture the terror and moral horror that this obscene food like product creates in my mind. I mentioned this offal on the thread about good pizza. It is actually not all pizza in St. Louis. It is the best selling chain there. But some other places apparently copy this "style" of flat, carbohydrate based, petrochemical cheese substitute covered, grease storage device. As a result I never order pizza in the town. I would rather eat dried cow patties; they are afterall, mostly grass. In fact that stuff alone is reason to route for the Tigers.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Seriously, however, for almost anyone who really enjoys pizza, the downtown Uno's is toward the top of their lists (at least for deep dish pizza) and the Uno's chain is what people dislike!
That is similar to my opinion of Cottage Inn pizza around here. The original restaurant in Ann Arbor has really good pizza, but the outlets around metro Detroit don't even come close to the original!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
That is similar to my opinion of Cottage Inn pizza around here. The original restaurant in Ann Arbor has really good pizza, but the outlets around metro Detroit don't even come close to the original!
Yea, in the 70s the one in A2 was pretty good. I didnt know they went chain. Sometime back then my girlfriend, now wife, and I were having a very late dinner on a Saturday night at the Brown Jug. Neil Young walked in and picked up a pizza he must have called in.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Hard to beat Pizza Hut, although I'm sure it can be done. Pizzas made on English Muffins and the like come to mind.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by opus17
Hard to beat Pizza Hut, although I'm sure it can be done. Pizzas made on English Muffins and the like come to mind.
Pizza Hut and Dominos are manna from heaven compared to St. Louis Style Pizza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.