Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Ameniti, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Wolfgang Puck Express is always nice to grab something to go without fast food grease.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Matsutake Sushi at DCA (by AA/AC/UA/US) or Legal Sea Foods by the US pier, both outside security.

Cool River Cafe at the new Terminal D at DFW was awesome!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Legal Sea Foods in Boston. Also, Summer Shack in Bos. Bought a lobster roll to eat on the flight from Bos/Lax. It was delicious.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:31 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by cesare
Wolfgang Puck Express is always nice to grab something to go without fast food grease.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. You're talking about DEN, right? Yes, it was excellent in terms of options and decent prices.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:08 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
There is a larger Wolfgang Puck facility then what Denver has, at LAX T-7.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:05 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Can't beleive no one has mentioned the Encounter Restaurant at LAX, you know, the nifty "futuristic" 1960's design building in the middle of loop. While it's rather pricey, the food is actually fairly good...and the bar is like something out of Austin Powers meets the Jetsons.
http://www.encounterrestaurant.com/
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by mlshanks
Can't beleive no one has mentioned the Encounter Restaurant at LAX
Well, it's kinda downhill from where it used
to be (culinarily that is, not because of tectonic issues).
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bruingirl
Overall I find airport food to be terrible
.....and also overpriced. $10.00 for an 8 piece California Roll Sushi at the TBIT, what a ripoff.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Big Changes in Airport Eats

I've been flying regularly for 20 plus years and airport food has always been marginal. I can still remeber the first time I smelled McDonald's fries at MSP, and it was very appetizing. Up until then it was very expensive sandwiches or marginal sit down food almost everywhere.

Now, some excellent restaurants are leasing airport space. Since many airlines are not serving food, I suppose the revenue is going up for the airline locations.

SFO does have some great restaurants, Perry's Yankee Pier and others mentioned above.

I also saw a Stage Deli is being built at MSP. Hope it's as good as the original.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:50 pm

Didn't see AUS airport's Salt Lick restaurant listed. It's good stuff. The restaurant is located in Wimberly, TX, so the airport location is an outpost. I hear they truck the meat in from Wimberly every day.

The brisket sandwich melts in your mouth. Unfortunately, it's a tad bit messy to eat on the plane, but well worth it. What I would give for some good brisket right now....
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:59 pm

Actually, all of the restaurants in AUS are local businesses (although Shlotzky's is a chain, it is in fact based here) - part of the "Keep Austin Weird" mentality, offering some good options if you are flying through at lunchtime or breakfast.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Any suggestions for a decent philly cheese steak place airside? (PHL is generally not a terminating point for me.)
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's been a long time, but I'm remembering pies in a SE Alaskan airport. Maybe Sitka?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:02 am

Programs: Various
Good Choices:

BOS- Legal (not LEGAL'S) is a great option at BOS. It's a bit pricey, but it would be pricey if you went to a regular location outside of the airport. Crab anything is good at Legal.

AUS- Good Choice of independent restaurants (Salt Lick etc) also found it interesting to have live music and local art.

ORD- Wolfgang Puck has decent fresh food that is priced higher than the high prices already set at their cafes in Los Angeles. Food has good flavor and it is fresh.

LAX-it's a shame when some decent establishments allow contract companies like HOST services to operate a location and do a dis-service by serving substandard product. There are too many to mention at SFO that fall into this category. Sad to say my home airport is weak in all areas and terminals, I can only say that Wolfgang Puck has something satisfactory, but they're only in T2 & T7.

SEA- I'm a fan of D'Lish, Ivar's, and some of the other local places representing at the airport. D'Lish takes the cake with huge panini sandwiches, baked goods (look out for the Macroon Brownie Cake-Brownie with a macroon baked into the center) Fresh salads, soups etc.

SFO - The Food Court in International Terminal has a few good selections except some of the Asian places ($8 for a 1-item bowl of Chinese food no thanks) Burger Joint has probably the best in-airport burger I've found so far...dare I say better than In N Out because they char grill the burgers and use Niman Ranch beef, fresh cut fries, and Double Rainbow Ice Cream for their shakes. On another high note, there are several locations of Peet's Coffee, which is a superior product to Starbuck's and that whole corporate coffee house thing.

MIA - La Carretta or Whatever the names are of the Cuban snack places are great for a hot pressed sandwich, empanadas, croquettas, and the cheese and guava pastry. These are located pre-security, deep into the D Terminal, and the E Admiral's club even has some of their goodies.

BNA - I can only mention the Famous Famiglia Pizza place for a decent pizza slice.

YVR - There are a few "okay" places, nothing special. There is an Orange Julius which is always a great thirst quencher.

FRA/ZRH/BRU etc. They all have basement grocery stores. Nice to be able to grab some cheese, crusty bread, a pastry, chocolate, or REAL milk and make your own snack.

Don't Bother:

ONT- Fast food only

SNA - Another airport with sad food selections. Only fast food and some independent croissant place last time I was there. I did see Wolfgang Puck grab n go there which helps.

STL - Poor service and poor selection of food choices, at least in the B Concourse. The terminal smells of grease from Burger King.

NRT- I didn't really spend much time to find anything, but ended up at a "Big Boy" which looks like the US Bob's Big Boy, but completely different menu.

When In Doubt:

Stop at a Local Trader Joe's the night before and make your own snack of mixed nuts, a grab-n-go sandwich or salad, and a smoothie or other treat for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Robt760; Sep 21, 2009 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Robt760

Don't Bother:

SFO - it's a shame when some decent establishments allow contract companies like HOST services to operate a location and do a dis-service by serving substandard product. There are too many to mention at SFO that fall into this category. I have found that over-priced and sub-standard food are the norm at SFO, including the Food Court in International Term ($8 for a 1-item bowl of Chinese no thanks)
I did like Burger Joint in the intl terminal. (Plus they were iDine ^ )

I love Lefty's Mile High Grill in DEN Concourse B. Good chili and hot wings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.