Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by the_nomad
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with airplane food?.... when food is actually served, that is.
Nope, I love airline food too. I really do
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:52 am

Best Airport Food?

Hi guys,
I'm a travel writer doing research for a story on the "Best US airport Food." I haven't been travelling much recently, so I'm looking for ideas and recommendations, for:
*Gourmet sit-down places (like Gallagher's Steak House in the Newark Airport—I live in NY and I always go there if I have enough time before departure)
*Local restaurants with airport outposts (like Yankee Pier out in SF—has anyone had their lobster roll? is it any good?)
*Best authentic fast food (like an airport BBQ joint in a southern restaurant, hot dogs in Detroit, Clam Chowder in New England, Pizza/Bagels in New York, Mexican food near the border, etc.)
*Best Airport Bars (for the best booze, socializing, and view)

Also looking for Airport Hotel Restaurant recommendations (if they're in the terminal). I heard that Mister G's at the Dallas/Fort Worth Hyatt has really good food, and personal flat screen TVs--has anyone been?

Please include the details: what you ate, how pricey, and how good it was

And I'm looking to interview veteran business travelers with recommendations or airport food rituals.

Thanks for reading the long thread, looking forward to hearing from everyone!
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:44 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I didn't know it was possible to be a stay-at-home couch potato and travel writer simultaneously.

I can't think of very many airport eateries I would voluntarily eat at if it weren't for the distance, cab fare, security, and time hit I would take by leaving the airport. In fact, I can't think of any at all, anywhere, and I do travel. The most common "food ritual," as you call it, is hunting, during the 15 minutes I have to change planes, for a to-go meal to eat aboard the next plane (Hint: Airlines no longer serve food). Usually the best that can be done is an $8 turkey roll sandwich, romaine lettuce salad, or a bag of beef jerky (inexplicably and sadly unavailable at many airports). Even chain eateries I would otherwise eat at, e.g. T.G.I Fridays or Chili's, tend to suck when ensconsed at airports.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
Overall I find airport food to be terrible and try to bring my own food as much as possible. I am also a vegetarian, so I probably have a lot more dietary restrictions than the average traveler.

PDX has a really nice restaurant (don't know the name), but it is outside security. The wine list is fabulous, the food is gourmet, and the bar scene was decent the evening I was there. I don't usually pay attention to cost since I travel for work, but I think this restaurant is on the pricey side.

I fly AA through ORD often and if I have a long lay over, I usually enjoy a nice salad at the Wolfang Pucks restaurant. I, however, find the food options in AA terminals to be very poor. It seems like other airlines, such as Delta, offer better options in its terminals.

Boston's Delta Terminal has a Jasper White's Summer Shack (local Boston and Cambridge restaurant). I personally do not eat seafood, so I cannot comment on the food. But the vibe is definitely one I like and it's a good place to drink a beer while waiting for a flight.

I know you are asking about Airport restaurants, but I feel like I should mention that Song has excellent food and drinks - far better than anything I have had in an airport (except the PDX airport). The martinis are absolutely fabulous. I am sad that Song is folding because I feel like I just discovered them. I hope Delta truly incorporates Song into its mainline fleet (although I have a feeling this isn't going to happen).
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:01 pm

MEM and DFW for BBQ. HKG for the noodels.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Portland & Miami

There's a multitap beer bar outside security at PDX which has decent food and an excellent selection of the local craft beers -- which is a feature very much in keeping with a town nicknamed "Munich on the Willamette" and "Beervana".

The La Carretta at MIA is also a good restaurant; it's cafeteria-style, unlike the branches elsewhere around the Miami area. I also believe it's open 24 hours, another nice feature.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:51 am

I like National Coney Island at DTW and Legal Seafoods at BOS. Good local food at reasonable prices in both cases.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I think Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) has very nice selection of national/local eateries, combined with a nice seating area and more.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
I've had good BBQ in Austin (Salt Lick) and Charlotte (I forget name)

Legal Seafood in BOS

Paschal's Southern delights at ATL

Cafe cubano at Versailles in MIA

But man, can we PLEASE get the silverware back into the airports?!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Just had the best burger I have ever had in an airport IN BOS at the Legals in the new Delta Terminal. Have been in their restruanuts outside of the airport, small but good menu in the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Very, very good (and inexpensive) seafood chowder at the little eatery near the United gates in EUG

Golden Rule Barbecue at BHM
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
On my travels to Santa Barbara, I used to connect through LAX. I always looked forward to the Tuna Salad Sandwiches from the cooler in the United Xpress annex gates (E gates?). From some reason, the wheat bread was always fresh and the Tuna was good. Exciting, huh.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Good places to have a layover meal:

SFO International Terminal

DFW Terminal D

LHR- Caviar House

SIN
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by bruingirl
PDX has a really nice restaurant (don't know the name), but it is outside security. The wine list is fabulous, the food is gourmet, and the bar scene was decent the evening I was there. I don't usually pay attention to cost since I travel for work, but I think this restaurant is on the pricey side.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Rose City Cafe. It's a bit on the pricey side, but the fresh sushi for sit-down or made-to-go is really a very excellent option that I haven't seen in any other U.S. airport. Plus, it (the sushi bar) opens at 7 a.m. fercryingoutloud. The main dining area opens at 5 a.m. It's not on the menu, but ask for a smoked salmon scrabble or omelet .... mmm.

Also at PDX: Portland Brewing Co. Pizza Pub is good and inexpensive. IIRC, there are over a dozen taps, including some guest brews.

MUC is one of my fave places to dine because there are so many options, my faves being Café Treffpunkt for a spot of weisswurst and Nordsee for anything seafood. But half the time I'll opt for the Edeka hypermarkt and grab some fresh fruit and deli meat. All three are on the shopping level (öffentlicher Bereich).

At SFO I'm usually connecting via Terminal 3, so if time allows I'll hit up Sankaku for a huge slurping bowl of udon on the premises and maybe a California roll to go. Noah's Bagels right next door is about the only bagel (available at an airport) outside of NYC worth eating.

I'll second the suggestions of SIN (for whatever) and Legal Seafoods in BOS.

Now, if you want to do a thread exclusively on coffee, PM me. ^

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 18, 2005 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
I love both Anthony's and Ivar's at SEA. Both seafood restaurants but Ivar's is takeout while Anthony's also offers sitdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.