Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 4:02 pm

I gotta say - my favorite is Legal Sea Foods at the Reagan National Airport in Washington - divine!
Old May 13, 2005, 8:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Did you see my OP? CDG has the best inside-airport restaurant in the world.
Sorry. I was referring to the airside.
Old May 14, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Thumbs up Daily Grill at LAX

The DAILY GRILL Restaurant on the mezzanine at Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal at LAX is the largest full-service airport restaurant in the United States, and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their food is fabulous, especially the meat loaf. Airplane food being what it is, whenever we travel from LAX on an International flight departing the Bradley Terminal, we usually eat at the DAILY GRILL before the flight, or order up a sandwich to take on the flight, forsaking what's served onboard. FYI, the The restaurant is before Security, so it's easy to access.

http://www.dailygrill.com/ ^
Old May 21, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
The Top Air restaurant at Stuttgart Airport is one of two airport restaurants in Europe to have a Michelin star. It is one of the best restaurants in Stuttgart. Here is their URL:

http://www.woellhaf-airport.de/de/in...opair&ha=oben2
Old May 21, 2005, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by prspad
The DAILY GRILL Restaurant on the mezzanine at Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal at LAX is the largest full-service airport restaurant in the United States, and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their food is fabulous, especially the meat loaf. Airplane food being what it is, whenever we travel from LAX on an International flight departing the Bradley Terminal, we usually eat at the DAILY GRILL before the flight, or order up a sandwich to take on the flight, forsaking what's served onboard. FYI, the The restaurant is before Security, so it's easy to access.

http://www.dailygrill.com/ ^
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with airplane food?.... when food is actually served, that is.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by david7031
The Top Air restaurant at Stuttgart Airport is one of two airport restaurants in Europe to have a Michelin star.
Wow! That is quite an accomplishment. Now if it makes 2-stars then it is supposed to merit a special trip ... lots of MRs via Stuttgart (have to admit that I don't know the airport code for it, would never consider flying there vs. taking the train from FRA -- but with a restaurant like that ...). Wonder if they cater those special Daimler flights from Stuttgart to Detroit?
Old May 23, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Sorry, but I don't care for the Daily Grill at LAX-Bradley International Terminal. My husband always insists on stopping there before our flight to LHR. I think that it's overpriced with not much healthy food choice. I usually like quesidillas sp? but I don't like theirs. And what can you do to a quesidilla, it's very simple to make. The trouble is, the Daily Grill is the only "nice" restaurant in the Bradley, all the rest is fast food. I never thought that I'd miss that old cafeteria but they had a fair choice and at least they had fresh fruit. Although we usually get to the airport early we don't feel we can make it to another terminal for a meal, especially with today's security stops.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:24 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by daph
Sorry, but I don't care for the Daily Grill at LAX-Bradley International Terminal. .... The trouble is, the Daily Grill is the only "nice" restaurant in the Bradley, all the rest is fast food.
Try the restaurant in the spider (the former control tower building at the center of LAX). It is called "The Encounter" and probably is the best food at LAX (or the nearby hotels for that matter). See http://www.encounterrestaurant.com/
p.s. The encounter appears to be the Jetsons meeting the 21st century, perhaps an inevitable theme given the iconic building.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Another vote for The Wing in Hong Kong. For dinner there is always a choice of several hot main courses (including a carvery), a range of desserts, five or six good quality cheeses, champagne (Billecart Salmon), three premium red wines (an Australian, a bordeaux and a burgundy), three premium whites - hell they even have a sauterne! All served by a bevy of waiters on high quality tableware with good, starched linen. Best of all, absolutely free. Breakfast is equally impressive.

I usually try to get to the airport very, very early...
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gylee
Another vote for The Wing in Hong Kong.
The food is identical at the Pier (both are CX F lounges at HKG airport, free if you are flying in F on CX or otherwise have F lounge access). Catered by the Peninsula, hence the high quality of the buffet (and it is a buffet, despite plentiful waiters). The wines are mediocre to moderate, as is the champagne -- the food is better than the wine. Deserts are a strong point, often some very good pastry. Steamed fish is another strong point when available (really remarkable, and consistently good). But it isn't a publicly accessible restaurant so it really doesn't count for this thread (btw, even better food is available in DXB in the private F lounge for EK ... roughly equivalent in the public F lounge; LH also has better food in their new F terminal at FRA, so the Wing has tough competition now).
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:10 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
A few more places apart from the still very nice LHR/LGW Caviar House branches:

The "8" at the ICN Hyatt Regency Incheon - Good lunch buffet with a mixture of Korean and International dishes

The "Bubbles" Seafood & Wine Bar at AMS - Not quite the level of Caviar House but still very good fish & seafood and nice selection of Wines

The "Teppan Grill Icho" in the Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport at KIX - (Expensive) Surf'n'turf type dishes ( yes, Kobe/Matsutaka beef ) along with great views over the sinking artificial Island

Still the worst Airport food if no lounge access: Doha, Qatar. Horrible fast food joints with no signs of local cuisine or even an Arabian mocca. The food in the lounges is very nice, why do the public restaurants have to be so poor?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
While it can't compare to the Wing, I'm in the Singapore Silver Kris First Class lounge now and the lunch-time self-serve food is pretty darn good. Good free WiFi too. ^
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:37 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Ikarus at Hangar-7
Salzburg Airport W. A. Mozart
Wilhelm-Spazier-Straße 7A
5020 Salzburg
Österreich
Tel.: 0043-(0)-662-21 97

On the grounds of Salzburg Airport, in the kitchens of the restaurant "Ikarus" at Hangar-7, guiding light Eckart Witzigmann has been cooking up a storm since the hangar's grand opening in August 2003.
A top-flight restaurant in a futuristically styled aircraft hangar presided over by "cook of the century" Eckart Witzigmann - such ingredients would provide more than sufficient punch for any normal culinary hotspot. But at "Ikarus," it's all different than anywhere else - and nothing's normal.

From the beginning, Hangar-7 is playing host to a restaurant concept unique the world over: each month, an internationally acclaimed guest-chef will man the kitchen at Hangar-7... to be followed by a new guest star the month thereafter.

http://engl.salzburg-airport.com/essen_1348.html
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:52 pm

Is Ebisu on the SFO International terminal any good?
I've always been a fan of the SF location but I haven't had a chance to try to the airport one yet.
-g
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gunn
Is Ebisu on the SFO International terminal any good?
I've always been a fan of the SF location but I haven't had a chance to try to the airport one yet.
-g
Pretty good. In fact it should have been mentioned on this thread, but obviously it isn't as good as the real Ebisu. I usually take some pastry from AA Bakery to SFO and eat that, but I happen to think AA is one of the best bakeries in the US (and such a hole in the wall it is, too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.