Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Airport Restaurants / Meals / Food" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:09 pm

Suggestions for SEA?

Anyone have any good food suggestions for a couple of long layovers (w/o lounge access) in SEA?
Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Yvr

By far the best restaurant at an airport is "Globe @ YVR" in Vancouver. Sometimes I go there to eat without flying anywhere.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Best airport restaurants in the world

[Purposely not mentioning all the chain restaurants at US airports as we already have a Chain thread]

I've eaten at a whole lot of them in every continent. Here are a few...

The best overall for gourmet quality is Les Etioles in the Sheraton CDG which is inside the airport. Almost Michellin worthy. The businessmans special is €57 each, plus drinks.

The private restaurant in the Wing at HKG is pretty darn good.

The Swiss Chalet on the upper level at ZRH.

I ate at a good restuarant at FCO once. It was upstairs and kind of hidden. I don't recall if it had a name or not.

I'm transiting NRT on UA soon. Is there any good restaurant in that part of the airport? Or should I just eat the junk they serve in the RCC?
Old May 12, 2005, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
A few years ago, I had an incredible chilled seafood platter smorgasbord in CPH. Can't remember the restaurant though and as a whole, decor-wise and all, it was nothing to write home about. But great fresh simple seafood.
Old May 12, 2005, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Figs at LGA is very good (and moderately priced, to boot)....
Old May 12, 2005, 9:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I've never eaten here, but every time I've walked by Caviar House at LHR/LGW, I've been tempted to stop there for a nice platter of smoked salmon.

I've always wanted to try Balik salmon. I just love the salmon at Petrossian.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Balik salmon by Caviar House is incredibly good. You won't believe how good until you try it. Best I can tell it is identical at all of their locations (so it is quite easy to get, and the price is reasonable given the quality).

No good food of any kind at NRT. The best strategy is to go into Narita City which has some excellent sushi takeout counters near the railway station. But it takes 30 minutes each way to get there, so it is about a 2 hour outing.

Agree about the Wing F dining room -- it is catered by the Peninsula, and really is better than most restaurants in the world. Remarkable for an airport lounge. If they know you, the chef will make almost anything for you by special request (but this is very much an unofficial service).

Maybe the best airport restaurant in now at LAX, in the spider (former control tower). See http://www.encounterrestaurant.com/
Old May 13, 2005, 12:51 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
Agree about the Wing F dining room -- it is catered by the Peninsula, and really is better than most restaurants in the world. Remarkable for an airport lounge. If they know you, the chef will make almost anything for you by special request (but this is very much an unofficial service).
Is this for F pax only or is it a publicly accessible restaurant?
Old May 13, 2005, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Wing in HKG is for F only or OneWorld Emerald members. I got in with my BA Gold card even though flying economy on CX.
Old May 13, 2005, 2:55 am

Programs: LH Sen; US Silver; AA Silver; Hilton Gold
Caviar House LHR

[QUOTE=francophile]I've never eaten here, but every time I've walked by Caviar House at LHR/LGW, I've been tempted to stop there for a nice platter of smoked salmon.

You should let your temptations win! I eat there frequently, and never have the same thing, other than a nice couple of chilled vodkas. It's always been extremely fresh, tasty and satisfying.
Old May 13, 2005, 3:08 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
A vote for Caviar House LGW from this corner. ^ Apart from the fish & seafood they have great chutneys and other British staples on sale.
Old May 13, 2005, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GfL
Maxim's Restaurant, Hong Kong.
Old May 13, 2005, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Sounds like next time I'm at LHR/LGW, I will have to indulge in some Balik salmon.

off topic: I'm surprised that since Paris prides itself as a culinary capital, the restaurant offerings at CDG are so meagre.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
off topic: I'm surprised that since Paris prides itself as a culinary capital, the restaurant offerings at CDG are so meagre.
Did you see my OP? CDG has the best inside-airport restaurant in the world.
Old May 13, 2005, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I think we went through this once before, but if you include non-commercial airports, Typhoon/The Hump, along with DC3, at the Santa Monica, California airport.

For truly unique, try the buffalo burger at the Catalina Island airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.