Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I travel frequently on my own and haven't had many issues. Gary Danko stands out as a fantastic experience for me as a single female diner, the attention I got there was fantastic.

I'm not at all uncomfortable eating alone, never have been. I love having just me, a good book, and some peace and quiet to enjoy a good meal. And I've eaten at everything from top end Michelin starred places to hole in the wall dives.

I think a lot of it comes from being self-conscious - are other people going to stare and wonder? No, they won't. People really aren't as interested in you as you think they are

And when you travel solo, what's the alternative? Exiled to the hotel's room service every night? No thank you!

Even when travelling with colleagues, I often want time to myself in the evening. I've made it quite clear that it has nothing to do with my coworkers or my lack of being social, just that I need some alone time. I haven't run across too many issues yet. Generally I'll do dinner out with everyone at least once a week, sometimes twice depending on my mindset at the time, but the rest of the week I make it clear that I need to recharge my batteries.

Originally Posted by braslvr
I've worked with many people including an ex-boss over the years who were so "dining alone phobic" that they would go hungry/skip dinner before they would dine (anywhere) without m
I don't get it. What's so terrible about eating alone?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by phedre
I travel frequently on my own and haven't had many issues. Gary Danko stands out as a fantastic experience for me as a single female diner, the attention I got there was fantastic.

I'm not at all uncomfortable eating alone, never have been. I love having just me, a good book, and some peace and quiet to enjoy a good meal. And I've eaten at everything from top end Michelin starred places to hole in the wall dives.

I think a lot of it comes from being self-conscious - are other people going to stare and wonder? No, they won't. People really aren't as interested in you as you think they are

And when you travel solo, what's the alternative? Exiled to the hotel's room service every night? No thank you!

Even when travelling with colleagues, I often want time to myself in the evening. I've made it quite clear that it has nothing to do with my coworkers or my lack of being social, just that I need some alone time. I haven't run across too many issues yet. Generally I'll do dinner out with everyone at least once a week, sometimes twice depending on my mindset at the time, but the rest of the week I make it clear that I need to recharge my batteries.

I don't get it. What's so terrible about eating alone?
^ Well said. Also, now that I always have my Kindle tucked into my purse, I never lack for a good book.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Italy98
I will ask the front desk or Google for anyplace that serves meals family style, where everyone sits at large tables and shares the platters of food which are brought out from the kitchen. This presents a unique dining experience, not to mention the occasional friend or two one will make.
Personally I avoid places such as this.

MisterNice
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
^ Well said. Also, now that I always have my Kindle tucked into my purse, I never lack for a good book.
I've been resisting the Kindle. I still love my paperbacks! Though I am considering an iPad.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'm usually happy to dine alone somewhere, but I'll take a seat at the bar or in the lounge if possible, rather than in the main dining room. Otherwise, I figure that's why they invented room service.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I'm usually happy to dine alone somewhere, but I'll take a seat at the bar or in the lounge if possible, rather than in the main dining room. Otherwise, I figure that's why they invented room service.
Why not use the main dining room? I find sitting at the bar uncomfortable in most locations - those high chairs just aren't made for shorties like me.

In a lot of hotels, the room service menu isn't the same as what you'd get in the actual restaurant - my current location for example has a TON of options that just aren't available on the room service menu, including many tasty appetizers. Not to mention that the quality can vary widely, probably because it's so much more hassle to return an item via room service and wait for a replacement.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by cubbie
It's not them, it's me, I'm introverted, and at a certain point at the end of the day, if I can't be relaxing in my own home, I'd at least like to be relaxing by myself. Give me a magazine or a paper or a book and a seat at the bar and a game on TV and ... please just leave me alone for a while.
While introversion may be a contributing factor, I wouldn’t necessarily pin it all on that. I’m quite extroverted but yet, I prefer to dine alone. Now, what I don’t mind doing is heading to a bar/pub alone and sitting at the bar and hopefully get into good conversation with the bartender or person seated next to me. That, I do enjoy.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I frequently travel along, so I frequently dine alone.

I will usually research iDine restaurants in the city I'll be visiting, read reviews so figure out which ones will be solo-friendly, and try those. Or I will get take-out and bring back to room. Or I will dine at hotel restaurants as other have mentioned.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I sometimes find when reading a book in an expensive restaurant I get wierd looks!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by GodAtum
I sometimes find when reading a book in an expensive restaurant I get wierd looks!
Really? From other patrons or staff? Just ignore them. I don't really pay much attention to other diners myself, and the staff ought to be used to solo diners - good restaurants often offer reading material.

I find the idea that there's something odd about reading and dining alone quite strange. It's a pretty common phenomenon in Paris, for example. Why would anyone be offended by it?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
I find the idea that there's something odd about reading and dining alone quite strange. It's a pretty common phenomenon in Paris, for example. Why would anyone be offended by it?
I don't know about offended, but I do know people who think it's strange that I read all the time, and some people who simply CAN'T be alone, they just feed off the social interaction and need someone else around for reasons I can't fathom.

Personally, I think THEY'RE the weirdos.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Most expensive restaurants I go to have few, if any people reading books but usually they have an extensive 2 ft x 3 ft menu. Why not read it before, during, and after the meal and dont forget to post your findings.

MisterNice
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by antirealist
Really? From other patrons or staff? Just ignore them. I don't really pay much attention to other diners myself, and the staff ought to be used to solo diners - good restaurants often offer reading material.

I agree whole heartedly based on half a century of (a) substantial business travel alone, and (b) having acquired a bride 46 years ago who believes that breakfast only attracts the Devil's spawn, and that hidden beneath the covers is the way to spend part/all/most of the day before Noon.

Breakfast alone is for newspapers (and breakfast alone is one of life's great mercies). Lunch alone is for travel guides, maps, etc.. Dinner alone in a US city, especially after a day of travel or intense interaction with fellow workers/clients/customers/etc., is surely a moment for a good book. There are a few, old friends, occasional new acquaintances, a client twisting my arm or his/hers being twisted, with whom I really enjoy protracted dinners. I do enjoy dinner on the road with my wife, since we share all courses, doubling the experience and pleasure in really good restyaurants, but who wants to share plates with a stranger (or even a friend)?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:15 am

I enjoy dining alone. If I dine with someone else you can pretty much guarantee I will pick the wrong thing and spend the next half hour wanting what my companion chose.

If alone I tend to eat at the bar if I want company, and a table if I don't. I have never felt self conscious either. Restaurants sell food, I buy it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I do enjoy dinner on the road with my wife, since we share all courses, doubling the experience and pleasure in really good restyaurants, but who wants to share plates with a stranger (or even a friend)?
In Asia, that is the basic requirement for human interaction.

That said, I have my solitary restaurants where it's nice to escape from the World and set schedules. There is one that does an excellent pasta with mussels and a cheese plate afterwards, another with an outstanding cheeseburger and fries, a conveyor belt sushi place and last but not least, a haven for Korean grilled pork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.