Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
From yesterday's SF Chronicle
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Cloudship
That's another reason I don't like eating at the bar. I think i feel more out of place sitting at a bar and drinking a soda than I do sitting alone in the dining room.
I'm not a fan of eating at the bar either. Not sure what it is, but much rather be at a table
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by theshaun
I'm not a fan of eating at the bar either. Not sure what it is, but much rather be at a table
I'd rather eat at a table than the bar when I'm with someone else (but I have to say usually the service is better a lot of times at the bar than a table) but when dining alone I feel out of place being at a table.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I always sit at the bar if I’m dining solo. #1 , it feels weird to me to sit at a table by myself, #2 , I’d rather not take up that much space when it could be used for two or four people (allowing much more income for the server), and #3 , I usually end up having a good conversation with someone when I’m sitting at the bar.
pudgym29 and jamesteroh like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:56 pm

single diner doesn't get the good seat

I've noticed this here in Montreal. The restaurant isn't full, and I wanted to sit by the window (nice weather nowadays, and they open the windows) but I wasn't allowed to. It was for "6 people". Though there was a couple sitting in one set of the 6 seats, and later they seated another couple in the other set.
I also had the same experience.

I actually don't know what it is like in Europe, as I have forgotten and when I was there I was usually dining with someone else.

I don't think in the US they reserve better seats for more, it is basically first come first serve.

Is this a European thing, or Canadian?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's not a regional thing, it's a restaurant thing. Busier restaurants will typically do this, especially on nights when they expect to be packed full. You can assume they're not going to give away 6-seaters easily if they have other options available, or possibly have a larger group with a reservation expected soon (which explains why they did it even though the restaurant wasn't full when you arrived). Perhaps at the time the couples you observed arrived, there weren't any better options for them, or they were early enough that they'd be cleared out before a reservation arrived.

I recall eating dinner in Montreal on a Saturday night in August at a small restaurant in a busy area. I asked if I could sit outside and was given a very nice seat at a 2-person table with a view of all the activity going on.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Definitely a restaurant thing. I've learned which restaurants treat solo diners like red headed stepchildren and I don't return.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might have better luck with advanced reservations specifying the type of table you want. Depending on the restaurant, this can be more effective if you're a regular or if it's booked through a top hotel or the AmEx fine dining program. Dress well and be polite.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
McDonald's caters to the solo diner. Heck, they've even introduced a service where you can eat IN your CAR!!
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might have better luck with advanced reservations specifying the type of table you want. Depending on the restaurant, this can be more effective if you're a regular or if it's booked through a top hotel or the AmEx fine dining program. Dress well and be polite.
I recently made a last minute reservation through Open Table but couldn't decide between dates. Thursday night had options for a table or bar seating but Friday night only had bar seating (and fewer booking times at this point). No status options to try booking a Friday night table.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by noodlenoggin
McDonald's caters to the solo diner. Heck, they've even introduced a service where you can eat IN your CAR!!
And in selected locations, you even have sea view seating!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by onobond
And in selected locations, you even have sea view seating!
In BRW, this only works for Subway. There is no McDonald's...
Old May 29, 2020, 10:05 am

How will you solo dine as restaurants reopen?

I almost always solo dine for dinner when on work travel because I normally have project work to complete at the end of each day, whereas my team generally can relax at the end of the day. I will solo dine for leisure if there are not any friends, SO, family, etc. available because I won't give up a dining experience just because I am solo. Pre-COVID19, if the restaurant has a bar, I always take advantage of it because I have a routine. Order/finish a drink, and then order food as well as another drink. I rarely feel rushed at a bar, service is generally excellent; whereas I feel rushed at a table especially if the restaurant is busy (and I don't want to purposefully deny revenue by taking up one seat at a multi-seat table).

Times have changed. Restaurants are opening in the Washington, DC area. I want to eat out. I think the bar area will be difficult to utilize in the new social distancing environment. Am I being selfish by taking a table, being solo, and taking my time to drink/eat? Or should I just plan to rush so the next customer(s) can take the table (and enhance much needed revenue for the restaurant)? Curious as to other solo diner's thoughts.

(Of course there is the entirely different issue, from my local readings, that for the foreseeable future dinnerware will be of the disposable variety, and possibly only drinks that will be served must be in a sealed container, i.e. bottle or can. I'd probably skip that type of dining experience.)

Stay safe!
Old May 29, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
I almost always solo dine for dinner when on work travel because I normally have project work to complete at the end of each day, whereas my team generally can relax at the end of the day. I will solo dine for leisure if there are not any friends, SO, family, etc. available because I won't give up a dining experience just because I am solo. Pre-COVID19, if the restaurant has a bar, I always take advantage of it because I have a routine. Order/finish a drink, and then order food as well as another drink. I rarely feel rushed at a bar, service is generally excellent; whereas I feel rushed at a table especially if the restaurant is busy (and I don't want to purposefully deny revenue by taking up one seat at a multi-seat table).

Times have changed. Restaurants are opening in the Washington, DC area. I want to eat out. I think the bar area will be difficult to utilize in the new social distancing environment. Am I being selfish by taking a table, being solo, and taking my time to drink/eat? Or should I just plan to rush so the next customer(s) can take the table (and enhance much needed revenue for the restaurant)? Curious as to other solo diner's thoughts.

(Of course there is the entirely different issue, from my local readings, that for the foreseeable future dinnerware will be of the disposable variety, and possibly only drinks that will be served must be in a sealed container, i.e. bottle or can. I'd probably skip that type of dining experience.)

Stay safe!
I have dined, solo, multiple times in the past 3 weeks since dine-in services were restored in my area. Some servers wearing masks, some just the food runners. No disposable dinnerware in sight anywhere & regular cups/glasses/etc for beverages. I have never been offered a bar seat, even in restaurants where they were open; seated at 4-toppers each time. I am making it a point to stick w/local, non-national chain, restaurants in order to ensure the financial support I am providing is staying as local as possible (yes, I know the national chains employ locals but after the Ruth's Chris PPP debacle...). I have taken what I consider to be my normal time at the table.

Hope this helps & happy dining :-)
Old May 29, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by txrus
I am making it a point to stick w/local, non-national chain, restaurants in order to ensure the financial support I am providing is staying as local as possible (yes, I know the national chains employ locals but after the Ruth's Chris PPP debacle...). I have taken what I consider to be my normal time at the table.

Hope this helps & happy dining :-)
I agree 100% re: local restaurants for both business travel and leisure. It is always interesting trying the local cuisine. Glad to read that your area is opening!
txrus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.