Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Definitely just accept the seating that the host assigns - don’t feel obliged to rush yourself. Bon app!
jamesteroh and lamphs like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lamphs
I almost always solo dine for dinner when on work travel because I normally have project work to complete at the end of each day, whereas my team generally can relax at the end of the day. I will solo dine for leisure if there are not any friends, SO, family, etc. available because I won't give up a dining experience just because I am solo. Pre-COVID19, if the restaurant has a bar, I always take advantage of it because I have a routine. Order/finish a drink, and then order food as well as another drink. I rarely feel rushed at a bar, service is generally excellent; whereas I feel rushed at a table especially if the restaurant is busy (and I don't want to purposefully deny revenue by taking up one seat at a multi-seat table).

Times have changed. Restaurants are opening in the Washington, DC area. I want to eat out. I think the bar area will be difficult to utilize in the new social distancing environment. Am I being selfish by taking a table, being solo, and taking my time to drink/eat? Or should I just plan to rush so the next customer(s) can take the table (and enhance much needed revenue for the restaurant)? Curious as to other solo diner's thoughts.

(Of course there is the entirely different issue, from my local readings, that for the foreseeable future dinnerware will be of the disposable variety, and possibly only drinks that will be served must be in a sealed container, i.e. bottle or can. I'd probably skip that type of dining experience.)

Stay safe!
I have the same issue. Two weeks ago places were open for patio dining only with a lot of restrictions and I wasn't going to take a table then and I wasn't comfortable dining out yet then anyway. The following thursday dining inside was allowed but all kinds of restrictions like 50% capacity and when I've gotten take out I've noticed most places have removed their bar stools and don't want to take a table away from a server who could be getting tipped by four people. I did dine in for the first and only time since this pandemic started yesterday with some friends from Michigan who were dying to get out and they did use real tablewear but no menus you had to scan a code on your phone.

I want to dine in but only want to dine at at the bar (Mainly because I feel awkward sitting at a table solo). For now restaurants in ohio can give you two cocktails in to go cups with a food order, so I'm using that to my advantage. I refuse to drive after even one margaritta so I'm able to try a couple mexican places that aren't walking/biking distance to me and get a margarita to go or try cocktails from other places with my to go order and our condo has a nice deck so I've been enjoying a cocktail and food outside on my deck.
lamphs likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In South Florida, for now, the bars areas are closed in the restaurants that have them. So I would say "whatever" and take what they give me. There are many restaurants my wife and I go to and are seated at a 4 top. Unless there is a sign limiting time, I will leave when I am finished. Before the "shutdown" we would spend usually 90 minutes at most restaurants while the server would probably do 2 or more turns at their other tables. I am cognizant of this and usually "take care of" them as they aren't turning the table we are seated at as quickly.

I have been in restaurants for hours when I was younger (Late 80's to Early 90's), eating and drinking to my hearts content. There was one that was across the RR tracks alongside my apartment complex that I would go around 7 pm and close the place at 11 or 12 depending on the day of the week. Since they had TV's with Sports on, I would eat, drink, and watch Sports all night. They usually didn't bother me because the tab would usually be in the $60's and I was a good tipper as well.
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.