Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
People will think you're lonely

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What is the perceived problem with dining alone?
Other diners will think you're lonely. Some people are self-conscious about that; some are okay with it.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
I can only speak for myself but I like dining alone. It helps me clear my head.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I always strike up a chat and learn something when dining alone!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
I can only speak for myself but I like dining alone. It helps me clear my head.
^ Some me time without others intruding.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PFKMan23
I can only speak for myself but I like dining alone.
Me as well, especially after a long day of enforced interaction. A whole day performing for clients can be like hosting a ten-hour television show. You don't want to see anyone afterwards, least of all your studio audience.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:21 am
Suspended

I've dined out alone, and I've ordered room service. It really depends on what the dining out choices are. If they're boring (or if it's late), I'll do the room service.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
When dining at top restaurants (Michelin-starred, and the ilk), I generally prefer to do it alone. Without another person at the table and conversation to distract me, I can focus better on the food and wine. My formation of taste memory is orders of magnitude stronger when dining alone.

I typically have the full tasting menu and enjoy discussing the wine pairings and such with the staff.
Once I had a very enthusiastic sommelier in Europe who was so shocked that I was an American (apparently I didn't fit his negative stereotype) that he gave me a custom wine tasting with each course. "Here," he would say, "is the wine paired on the menu with this dish. Here is the one I prefer. And here is the one the chef prefers." 3 glasses of wine per course, for 8 courses-- I was hammered! If I had had a dining companion, the sommelier would have almost certainly kept his distance and done the cool, Continental thing, as protocol prescribes. And I probably would have ended up paying for two dinners and still not have gotten laid.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Jazzop
A single diner is usually going to leave much sooner and require less attention than larger parties.
I dine alone much more often than not, and enjoy it. But when I go to a nice restaurant for a meal, I expect to be given some time to appreciate the experience. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Some restaurants seem to be under the impression that solo diners want to get in and out of the place as quickly as possible, picking up the empty app plate with one hand and depositing the mains with the other. On occasion, I've been force fed and handed the bill 40 minutes after arrival while I'm still drinking my aperitif, when diners who arrived at the same time as me are still waiting for their apps.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
You listen a lot more

When I have dined alone, I listen a lot more. You cannot help hearing the conversation at the table next to you. You've nothing to distract you. You hear the entire conversation, like it or not...
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
When I have dined alone, I listen a lot more. You cannot help hearing the conversation at the table next to you. You've nothing to distract you. You hear the entire conversation, like it or not...
+1

If you're in public, don't expect a conversation is private.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by antirealist
Some restaurants seem to be under the impression that solo diners want to get in and out of the place as quickly as possible, picking up the empty app plate with one hand and depositing the mains with the other. On occasion, I've been force fed and handed the bill 40 minutes after arrival while I'm still drinking my aperitif, when diners who arrived at the same time as me are still waiting for their apps.
I've had that happen to me. At a restaurant in SDF they brought my salad and entree at the same time. It was a popular chain and they had comment cards, so I mentioned it as a training issue. Got a nice email from the GM with some $$$ off tickets for use at their restaurants.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dd992emo
I've had that happen to me. At a restaurant in SDF they brought my salad and entree at the same time. It was a popular chain and they had comment cards, so I mentioned it as a training issue. Got a nice email from the GM with some $$$ off tickets for use at their restaurants.
I had the same thing happen in Seattle and, surprise! surprise! the ice cream dessert was delivered 5 min later. With that I requested to see the manager and within 5 min the waiter said no charge for the meal. Oh yes, I left no tip as I later exited.

MisterNice
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by donnde
On a couple of recent travels I have had wonderful meals sitting at the bar of nice restaurants. A few weeks ago I had a great meal at B&B at the Venetian in Las Vegas. Great bartenter who knew the menu well and matched me up with some very good wines. Last year did the same at BLT at the Ritz in San Juan. That night I ended up talking to a couple of other diners who were doing the same. I usually try to break away for a solo meal from my fellow travellers, especially with friends in Las Vegas. The thing I like about eating at the bar is that I have much better control over the pacing of the menu by ordering each course separately or letting the bartender know that I am not in a hurry and want time in between.
I wonder if tourist spots, especially Vegas, are more open to people dining alone compared to other spots?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold
I have eaten alone at restaurants many times. Usually this is while I'm travelling on business but I have also done so while on vacation. I enjoy it. I don't like getting room service, so either I go out or do takeout. I have no problem being alone. I enjoy the downtime.

When I would go to work in NJ I tended to go to Legal Sea Foods at Short Hills Mall for dinner at least once per trip. I'd sit at the bar with a magazine and enjoy a margarita and some lobster bisque. I often ended up chatting with the bartender or other solo diners nearby. Once or twice I sat at a table and I remember one time the server was a really nice guy who chatted with me every time he came by.

On a trip to Vegas last year Mr. Harlot had a dinner out with his hockey team one night that I did not care to attend. Instead I went to dinner at Noodles in Bellagio by myself. I didn't enjoy the food but that was because I ordered poorly, not because I was a solo diner.

I had two bad solo dining experiences. One was at a touristy shrimp restaurant in Savannah. They obviously wanted to get me out of there as fast as possible. Another was at a Red Lobster in Oxford, AL. They had no idea how to treat me. The server approached me with great nervousness every time. I was not offered dessert at either place. Seriously, a female dining alone, and you don't offer dessert?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:27 pm
Suspended

When traveling I often dine alone. I'm traveling alone. I don't limited to certain types of places. That said, I rarely find it worth sitting around, eating way too much at a restaurant. I'd rather do room service or just pick something up to bring to the hotel. The ambiance isn't really beneficial when its just you getting nourishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.