Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I prefer to dine with someone. I havent gone to a top restaurant by myself.
Old May 17, 2009, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I suppose there's no social networking site for people working out of town (and I'm not sure who would turn up). Any thoughts about how someone busy not looking for romantic relationships would connect with other similar-minded people?
Well, there are FTers in every corner of the globe, so a post in CommunityBuzz! might find you some dining companions!

Also, couchsurfing.org lets registrants select an option that they're just interested in hosting people for dinner/drinks. I haven't gotten much into couchsurfing.org myself yet, but you might try checking there for people who are up for meeting over dinner.
Old May 17, 2009, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, there are FTers in every corner of the globe, so a post in CommunityBuzz! might find you some dining companions!
craigslist also offers companionship in most cities.
Old May 17, 2009, 7:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
just what I was thinking for those that would like to dine with someone, simply take a look at or post to the Community Buzz Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

I've had some very fun meals with other Flyertalkers while on business trips, sometimes no one shows, sometimes many.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: *G
depends what city im in, work circumstances, etc

sometimes during a hectic work schedule i prefer to eat alone -- at the restaurant or take-out -- and not be BOTHERED

on more relaxing, longer trips, i can enjoy being by myself. i fit in the couchsurfing demographics (ie 20-30) so i sometimes use that to meet someone for a drink or a meal. usually has been a good experience
Old May 18, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Wink

Originally Posted by SFO777
craigslist also offers companionship in most cities.
I don't think my wife would be too enthusiastic about the companionship offered in craigslist though I am sure it could help relieve stress, but that's not what I'm seeking here.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
jackal and Sweet Willie, interesting idea. I will try it sometime.

deliah and jackal, I didn't see how to signal that I just wanted to have dinner and not sleep on a couch with couchsurfing. Is it obvious how to do that once you register? I'm in my 50's. Will that be a poor pond to fish in?

It occurs to me that I could set up stuff at local business schools as I am reasonably well-known to some in that world, but then I would have to be on my best behavior (e.g., I'd probably be less relaxed).
Old May 18, 2009, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
It depends on what kind of day I've had and if I have had time to exercise. If it was a busy day I'll grab something (usually not room service) take-out from a local restaurant and eat it in the room.

Otherwise I'll eat at the bar of a local restaurant. They usually have sports on. The only thing I dislike are chatty bartenders. I don't like having the same "what are you doing in X city" 100 times a week.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: *G
jackal and Sweet Willie, interesting idea. I will try it sometime.

deliah and jackal, I didn't see how to signal that I just wanted to have dinner and not sleep on a couch with couchsurfing. Is it obvious how to do that once you register? I'm in my 50's. Will that be a poor pond to fish in?

It occurs to me that I could set up stuff at local business schools as I am reasonably well-known to some in that world, but then I would have to be on my best behavior (e.g., I'd probably be less relaxed).
when you create a profile, you update your status whether you are busy (do not bother), welcome a meet (ie coffee, show around the city), or welcome a guest (to crash)

so you can search for profiles with a particular status, then send them a quick little message. so anyone who doesnt have a busy status would be open to meet and greet.

the site is centered around backpacking and thus the younger demographics but there are people there of all ages and backgrounds (artists, lawyers, engineers, etc)
Old May 19, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
I don't mind eating alone in a restaurant. Usually enjoy the decompression from the busy day.
I do go to the bar at some restaurants if they serve food there. No need to worry about having a alcoholic drink at the bar since you're eating as well.
Usually bring something to read.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like dining solo. A good book, a decent meal, a glass of wine helps me relax and unwind on a business trip. Spending all day with people makes me keen to get away for at least a few hours. Only child syndrome.
Old May 20, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
At home, I like company at the dinner table whether eating in or out. Given a choice, I'd prefer to dine alone when on the road. There are exceptions - people I enjoy dining with in certain places. But if alone, I like to do it a certain way.

1. At the bar. Generally at dinnertime, the others at the bar are alone too so I don't feel like I'm the only one who's by himself.

2. Reading material. One of the reasons I prefer the bar is I don't feel subconscious with a book, magazine or newspaper.

3. No surrounding crowd. No loud TV. No birthday or going away parties. I prefer a quiet atmosphere.

4. No rush. Another reason I prefer the bar. No bartender's ever rushed me to clear a seat for the next patron. In return, I keep ordering drinks and tip well.

5. Decent light. I can't read in the dark.

In the absence of those conditions, I will order takeaway or get a salad at a grocery store and eat in my hotel room.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:05 pm

I like to sit at a table and surf FT on my phone. I usually eat dinner early so I'm not stealing a table from a higher total group.

I also like Delivery.com because I can search delivery menus if I just want to stay in. For some reason I'm 1/5 for Roseville, CA restaurants on delivery.com, but I've had no issues anywhere else. I try not to do this too much b/c often there is a minimum delivery total and I don't always need that much food.
Old May 20, 2009, 7:28 pm

So, what if anything do you do if you a) don't feel like eating alone; and b) haven't or can't arrange to have someone to eat with?
That's why God invented takeout and delivery. Takeout in bed with a nice movie on my laptop sounds great. Especially when I'm really not in the mood to go out.
Old May 22, 2009, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I like dining solo. A good book, a decent meal, a glass of wine helps me relax and unwind on a business trip. Spending all day with people makes me keen to get away for at least a few hours. Only child syndrome.
Sage wisdom from across the Pond!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.