Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Hi, new member here. So are there any web site out there that lists places that cater to people who dine alone?

Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FT, bryan1966
I am unaware of any sites which specifically are geared to the solo diner, but www.zagat.com could be a resource. Also, I would suggest looking at the Flyertalk Travel sections and look for specific cities in which you might be traveling. You could then post a question re: restaurants in that particular city which are solo-dining-friendly.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA
I dine quite often alone, specially when I am on the road. I just pick a place which looks interesting, and see how the waiter is when he first approaches me. Most of the time it was a rather pleasent experience. I bring quite often a small book or so thought unless there is a big window to look out.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I try and find great resturants that let you eat off of the regular menu at the bar. Ie the 5 seat bar at Chinois in Santa Monica. Most really good resturants have a bar that you can order at. I just explain that I don't want to sit at a table alone and I often bring a book or magazine with me.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You might also get a couple more ideas from this thread, bryan1966.

I enjoy eating alone in private (as in a hotel room), but I eschew eating alone in public.

The only time I will eat alone in public is if I am really interested in trying out a particular restaurant.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, bryan1966 — and sorry about the eschew play on words there...

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 10-25-2003).]
Old Oct 26, 2003, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is an interesting question. When I was younger, I had no problem eating alone at restaurants. As I've gotten less young, I feel odd doing so. I was even told point blank at one place that if you are alone, we can't seat you.

Therefore, if I must eat alone, I try going at slightly off-hours, like lunch at 12:00 or maybe 2:30, dinner at either 6:30 or 10:00. That said, I will also look for restaurants with bars, because they typically will let you eat at the bar.

I guess ultimately, most restaurants will not be enthusiastic about serving a single diner, for a number of reasons, so I guess my advice would be to post a question here in FT Dining when you plan to go anywhere new, and see what people have to say.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have found that as I have gotten older I am much more comfortable dining alone. When I was younger, I did not have the confidence nor the attitude I have now. More often than not, I am given a fine table and am treated with respect. Actually, I rather enjoy dining alone and observing others. In Los Angeles, where I live, I often have lunch alone after going to the gym. Generally, it will be at a busy restaurant with a counter as I enjoy watching what is coming out of the kitchen. The Apple Pan is particular favorite. Of course, sushi bars are great places to dine alone.

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 10-26-2003).]
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:26 pm

Dining alone... pet peeve

So here I am, on a day trip by myself through Coastal California. I stop to eat at a nice restaurant. At 1 pm it's a bit empty.

I tell the hostess I'd like a table for one. And where in this empty restaurant does she seat me? Right next to a talkative couple, so close that I barely need to extend my arm to grab something from the man's plate!

This has happened to me several times before. As much as I try not to listen, the restaurant is so quiet and their voices so loud that I can't ignore it.

So I find the hostess and ask her to re-seat me, leting her know that I'd like to give the couple some privacy.

Wish they would have done this in the first place! It's a major pet peeve of mine...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
That borders on insulting. I hope her tip reflected that.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I am with the OP on this one...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Did you have the same wait staff as the couple? I can picture the hostess putting you together as it is slow and there is only one wait staff available and you were placed in the station they are covering. But yes, I agree, you have to wonder what goes through one's mind when they seat you so close to others when the whole place is empty.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why did you not ask for a private place in the first place. since i hate people, i always ask to be placed as far away from the babbling fools as possible.

you can ask as to where to be seated.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott
Originally Posted by Flo's Restaurant
That borders on insulting. I hope her tip reflected that.
How much do you normally tip a hostess?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Originally Posted by kingalien
Did you have the same wait staff as the couple? I can picture the hostess putting you together as it is slow and there is only one wait staff available and you were placed in the station they are covering. But yes, I agree, you have to wonder what goes through one's mind when they seat you so close to others when the whole place is empty.
Similar thing happened to me at a hotel restaurant, when it opened at 6:30 am for breakfast. Hostess brought me to a table a few inches away from another diner...the only other patron in the restaurant. I kindly asked to sit only a table or two away, within the server's station, and was refused! She was serious, and said I had to sit there.

I was so flabbergasted that I simply turned around, left the restaurant, and went to the Starbucks kiosque in the hotel. Ordered coffee and some food and found a nice small table and chair and enjoyed my breakfast.

This was the first and only time my request for a little breathing room in a nearly empty restaurant was ever refused.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
Similar thing happened to me at a hotel restaurant, when it opened at 6:30 am for breakfast. Hostess brought me to a table a few inches away from another diner...the only other patron in the restaurant. I kindly asked to sit only a table or two away, within the server's station, and was refused! She was serious, and said I had to sit there.

I was so flabbergasted that I simply turned around, left the restaurant, and went to the Starbucks kiosque in the hotel. Ordered coffee and some food and found a nice small table and chair and enjoyed my breakfast.

This was the first and only time my request for a little breathing room in a nearly empty restaurant was ever refused.
Yikes! I'll often ask to move before they seat me, or even if it's a few people in the group. It may be that we're too close to other patrons, or that one group is being very loud, or just that I'd prefer a table in a different area. I don't think I've ever been given quite the resounding no you were in that situation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.