Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Jazzop
When dining at top restaurants (Michelin-starred, and the ilk), I generally prefer to do it alone. Without another person at the table and conversation to distract me, I can focus better on the food and wine. My formation of taste memory is orders of magnitude stronger when dining alone.

I typically have the full tasting menu and enjoy discussing the wine pairings and such with the staff.
Once I had a very enthusiastic sommelier in Europe who was so shocked that I was an American (apparently I didn't fit his negative stereotype) that he gave me a custom wine tasting with each course. "Here," he would say, "is the wine paired on the menu with this dish. Here is the one I prefer. And here is the one the chef prefers." 3 glasses of wine per course, for 8 courses-- I was hammered! If I had had a dining companion, the sommelier would have almost certainly kept his distance and done the cool, Continental thing, as protocol prescribes. And I probably would have ended up paying for two dinners and still not have gotten laid.
I find myself agreeing with the sentiments expressed here, though I seldom speak with staff. However, I have found continental Europeans far less taciturn when "outlanders" are encountered.

If I eat alone, I tend to prefer upscale, traditional pubs (hardwood and fireplaces) and a book. The thoughts conveyed by the book are more elucidating that the average dining companion's, and as Jazzop pointed out, there is no disappointment when retiring to a cold bed.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by acunningham
7. As soon as I finish the last dish, the bill arrives. If I still have the menu, I'll probably have totalled up the amount anyway, unless in the USA where I'm never quite sure how much the tax will be.
You do realize that your expectation is counter to traditional standards of good service? The waiter should never bring the bill unless specifically asked by the diner. This can lead to some funny stalemates in French restaurants.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:03 am

You do realize that your expectation is counter to traditional standards of good service? The waiter should never bring the bill unless specifically asked by the diner. This can lead to some funny stalemates in French restaurants.
Yes. This is more of a wish than an expectation.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Mainly in Europe

I found this the case in Europe mainly. In many American restaurants, the waitstaff will ask, "Is there anything else I can bring you?"

You reply, "No."

And they will take that to mean, "Check, please," and the check will show up.

However, in Europe, I would sit there for like 10-20 minutes waiting for the check to show up, and they never bring it. It was so painful. You gotta flag them down to bring that check over.

So I think this applies more to European restaurants than to American restaurants.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I will ask the front desk or Google for anyplace that serves meals family style, where everyone sits at large tables and shares the platters of food which are brought out from the kitchen. This presents a unique dining experience, not to mention the occasional friend or two one will make.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Interesting how different folks are. I'd rather get takeout at the 7-11 for dinner than be seated "family style" with a group of people I don't know. The prospect sounds like something I'd do only if I were being punished for something.

Give me a small out-of-the-way table and a book/iPhone.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:10 pm

Me too

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Interesting how different folks are. I'd rather get takeout at the 7-11 for dinner than be seated "family style" with a group of people I don't know. The prospect sounds like something I'd do only if I were being punished for something.

Give me a small out-of-the-way table and a book/iPhone.
+1. The family style thing is good if you like the peopole that you're with. If you're stuck with people who rub you the wrong way, it could be a painful experience. The worst is if you get seated with a table of 6 people, and 4 of the 6 know each other. Then, it's like you're at somebody's private dinner...uninvited...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA
When I'm travelling for work I prefer to have my evenings, including dinner, to myself. The situation I sometimes find myself in is spending a week in some location for work with a colleague (for example, if we are assigned to teach a training course together). After 10 hrs on your feet with this perfectly agreeable person, as soon as the class is over, he or she says, "when should we meet in the lobby for dinner? Half an hour?" So 4 or 5 nights in a row I have to have dinner with someone I don't know well and don't have much but work to talk about with, or I have to say I'm going to pass, and get that you-don't-want-to-have-dinner-with-me? look.

It's not them, it's me, I'm introverted, and at a certain point at the end of the day, if I can't be relaxing in my own home, I'd at least like to be relaxing by myself. Give me a magazine or a paper or a book and a seat at the bar and a game on TV and ... please just leave me alone for a while.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cubbie
After 10 hrs on your feet with this perfectly agreeable person, as soon as the class is over, he or she says, "when should we meet in the lobby for dinner? Half an hour?"
Yes. Agony. Doesn't matter if she's the most beautiful creature on earth or he's the funniest guy or the most read-in Red Sox fan... after a whole day with 'em, I want solitude.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
It's not them, it's me, I'm introverted, and at a certain point at the end of the day, if I can't be relaxing in my own home, I'd at least like to be relaxing by myself. Give me a magazine or a paper or a book and a seat at the bar and a game on TV and ... please just leave me alone for a while.
I actually get some subtle static from my boss on this. When I'm on travel I eat alone, either in a restaurant or my room. Whenever I get invited to go out with co-workers I just say "No thanks". My boss has dropped some subtle hints about hanging out with others to share information, learn more about the business, etc. I just nod and keep my mouth shut...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:18 pm

Is it being polite?

After 10 hrs on your feet with this perfectly agreeable person, as soon as the class is over, he or she says, "when should we meet in the lobby for dinner? Half an hour?" So 4 or 5 nights in a row I have to have dinner with someone I don't know well and don't have much but work to talk about with, or I have to say I'm going to pass, and get that you-don't-want-to-have-dinner-with-me? look.
The other thing to consider is if that person is just being polite. That is, they don't want to offend you by dissing you, so they ask you to meet for dinner. But in reality, they don't want to have dinner with you at all. That's something else to consider (not you , cubbie, per se, just any of these situations).
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
as soon as the class is over, he or she says, "when should we meet in the lobby for dinner? Half an hour?" So 4 or 5 nights in a row I have to have dinner with someone I don't know well and don't have much but work to talk about with, or I have to say I'm going to pass, and get that you-don't-want-to-have-dinner-with-me? look.

My.Worst.Nightmare. In the past I've gotten that 6 days a week for 4-5 weeks, and the worst part is them wanting to eat that soon after work. I don't care what time I finish work, I'm not wanting dinner for at least 2 hours after I start unwinding.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
After 10 hrs on your feet with this perfectly agreeable person, as soon as the class is over, he or she says, "when should we meet in the lobby for dinner? Half an hour?"
Originally Posted by braslvr
My.Worst.Nightmare. In the past I've gotten that 6 days a week for 4-5 weeks, and the worst part is them wanting to eat that soon after work. I don't care what time I finish work, I'm not wanting dinner for at least 2 hours after I start unwinding.
Since I don't eat until 8 or 9 in the evening, I don't think most people would be able to hold out that long if they wanted to eat with me.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by braslvr
I don't care what time I finish work, I'm not wanting dinner for at least 2 hours after I start unwinding.
This is one of the best phrases for declining an invitation to join someone for dinner -- "I'm not going to be ready for dinner for quite a while, so please go ahead without me."

(But if it's not true, then you have to find out where they're going so that you can go somewhere else.)
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by kochleffel
This is one of the best phrases for declining an invitation to join someone for dinner -- "I'm not going to be ready for dinner for quite a while, so please go ahead without me."
That does work great if there are more than 2 of you. I've worked with many people including an ex-boss over the years who were so "dining alone phobic" that they would go hungry/skip dinner before they would dine (anywhere) without me, and they did - many times. Unfortunately, for different reasons, I've had to do the "get off work at 5:30 - eat at 6-6:15" too many times to count. I normally won't eat more than an appetizer and a few beers at that hour, so yeah it's great fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.