Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I can't imagine not bringing a book, or at least something to read on my tablet (or phone, though I prefer not to). I'm fine with sitting at the bar, either someone interesting will be there to chat with, or I can read. I find sharing travel stories works well as a great way to break the ice with strangers in those circumstances. Not as much fun, if there are parties on either side of you who know each other, so you're just the odd person out.

I'm not fond of sitting alone at a table, feeling a bit more conspicuous as well as self-conscious of taking up space. If a place is particularly empty, then that's not so bad.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I actually hate the research. I wish there were an easier way to personalize. Like to filter based on the reviewer. Like I'll look to see where the reviewer is from, and if from "Middle of Nowhere, WV" ignore their review. Or it also depends on the ethnicity, depending on what food it is (like a white person's opinion of Chinese I don't really care about).
I also would like to know whether a place is an experience, as in the food is different and gives you "perspective" vs it is just good to eat (like a Soul Food place where everything is served in styrofoam containers even if you are eating in, and delicious to the tongue but not to the eyes).
What you want sounds exactly like research to me. It's just the way you want to do it is much more subjective, less fact-based. Especially with some of your beliefs...such as someone from WV wouldn't be able to discern a good meal while, perhaps, someone from NYC would? Or that in today's huge world, someone's ethnicity has anything to do with their taste? That white person may have lived in Hong Kong for 10 years while the Asian person has never West Virginia .
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The time I feel out of place dining alone is when the place is packed and there is a wait for a table and no room at the bar. I always feel strange being put on a list for a table for one and will usually just hang out for a couple minutes and if no onee leaves the bar go elsewhere to eat.

I like sitting at the bar if I'm alone but sometimes feel out of place asking for a diet coke to drink. Most times I prefer to just have a diet coke or water over a cocktail with dinner
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I like sitting at the bar if I'm alone but sometimes feel out of place asking for a diet coke to drink. Most times I prefer to just have a diet coke or water over a cocktail with dinner
That's another reason I don't like eating at the bar. I think i feel more out of place sitting at a bar and drinking a soda than I do sitting alone in the dining room.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I dine alone frequently at Michelin-started or other eateries. I've never felt any qualms sitting at a table by myself. I usually order nice wine so their profit margin for my table is probably higher than most 2-tops!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A little OT but do others feel out of place going to a concert/theater alone when travelling? After all these years I still feel a little out of place sitting by myself at a concert or Broadway show. One advantage has been that I have been able to find some great single seats
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
What you want sounds exactly like research to me. It's just the way you want to do it is much more subjective, less fact-based. Especially with some of your beliefs...such as someone from WV wouldn't be able to discern a good meal while, perhaps, someone from NYC would? Or that in today's huge world, someone's ethnicity has anything to do with their taste? That white person may have lived in Hong Kong for 10 years while the Asian person has never West Virginia .
It is all based on probability. The white person from WV has a much smaller chance of living in Hong Kong than a New Yorker.
All taste is subjective. But when I travel in more rural areas I see people raving about food (eg Mexican food) that wouldnt get another glance in California.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A little OT but do others feel out of place going to a concert/theater alone when travelling? After all these years I still feel a little out of place sitting by myself at a concert or Broadway show. One advantage has been that I have been able to find some great single seats
I do it at home, mainly because most of my friends in the town I live in have no interest in the music/movies I want to see. Single seats are a great thing, especially if you’re going to a very popular show. Last year I happened to have an afternoon free up on a NY trip, and ended up with the very last open seat to an excellent Broadway matinee...in the front row!
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Southwest, US Airways, Hilton Marriott
13 Coins SeaTac

365 days a year 24 hours a day right outside the SeaTac airport in a bank building. Sit at the counter and watch the show. Bacon and eggs or a filet or scallops...great place!
theshaun likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've always been fine with eating alone at fast food or fast casual restaurants. Full table service restaurants are a different story. I prefer eating with others at those, but if I have to eat alone, I'm more comfortable eating at the bar than at a table by myself. I'll also avoid places if there's a wait.

Haven't tried going to the movies or shows by myself yet though.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It's so funny to me to see how many of you guys feel so out of place eating and doing activities alone.

I probably do most of these activities alone the vast majority of the time. 90% of my dining out is probably alone, and when traveling (or even home) I simply look for the best food on Yelp or Chowhound and then go in and eat it without any thought to whether I'm alone or not. If the food is good, I want to enjoy it. Simple as that.

I have probably seen a dozen movies alone in the last couple of months. I just went and saw one last night. I have a MoviePass; why waste the opportunity to use it and wait for others to be available to join me? I can bump over to Alamo Drafthouse and enjoy a nice flick for free while eating good food and enjoying something good off of their draft list. Makes for good, cheap, and productive entertainment.

Sure, if others are available and want to meet up, that's fun, and I enjoy it. And all else being equal, doing something with another person is preferable to doing it alone. But if the decision is between doing it alone and not doing it at all, it's a no-brainer to me.

As far as I can tell, I've never been given a single glance for being alone in any of these places. Those that feel self-conscious doing so are projecting things on themselves, IMO. Let loose and enjoy!
braslvr, travelmad478 and BamaVol like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Independent
I wonder if location has a lot to do with this? Is it easier/more comfortable dining and doing stuff alone in a big city versus some small town? Is it the other way around?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I think it just has to do with the person. I live in a pretty small place and it doesn’t bother me to do things solo. The fact that it is a small place means that there is a smaller pool of like-minded people who enjoy independent movies and interesting food. So if I want that, I’m usually on my own.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I wonder if location has a lot to do with this? Is it easier/more comfortable dining and doing stuff alone in a big city versus some small town? Is it the other way around?
Not for me. Makes no difference at all, and I enjoy both. I think many who don't like to do these things alone are missing the main benefits.- Being able to do exactly what you want, when you want, etc. No compromises. Have 1 or 3 drinks before you order dinner. Choose where you want to sit. Stay as late as you want, or leave early. Being able to people watch without seeming aloof to someone talking to you. Always more personalized service. I could go on and on.....
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
In the last few months I've dined alone everywhere from ORD to PIT to SGF to BKG (a place small enough you'll probably have to look that airport code up). I regularly dine alone in NYC and in my old hometown in rural California with a population of 3,000. Makes zero difference to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.