Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Leftover pork loin, diced potatoes and onions become hash for lunch.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I don't think garlic will ever dissolve, but it will soften to a paste and some of the garlicky flavor will probably dissolve. I wonder if garlic flavor compounds are more fat- or water-soluble.
good question --I don't know what happens to the garlic during sous vide. When I have done a rib roast in the oven or on the grill, the garlic flavor is there and the garlic softens but only a little --not to spreading consistency and it really is too raw to eat.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
good question --I don't know what happens to the garlic during sous vide. When I have done a rib roast in the oven or on the grill, the garlic flavor is there and the garlic softens but only a little --not to spreading consistency and it really is too raw to eat.
Well, I'll probably give it a try, and report on what a sous vide does to it. But it may be a week or so before I get to it.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:30 pm

Tonight appears to be a dilapidated and bast...ized version of pad thai or something similar. My wife wants to use spaghetti squash as the noodle. And she wants to cook the chicken in the carbon steel wok I've owned for over a year and finally got around to seasoning today. We, of course, have no idea how it will perform.

I'm skeptical of the whole operation. But fortunately I eat just about anything and better to test it all out on just us I suppose.

Tomorrow it's just me and the dog for dinner. We usually make something we love but my wife doesn't. I haven't discussed menu ideas with the dog yet, but he's usually fine with meat and/or cheese. Hmmmm.
corky, BamaVol and Finkface like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turkey lettuce wraps
BamaVol and Finkface like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by corky
Turkey lettuce wraps
Yum!!
corky likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Incidentally, speaking of African food check out the Netflix documentary High on the Hog, about the African roots of US soul food.
Thanks. Might look into it. Marcus Samuelsson's latest cookbook does a fair job of tracing roots, too, and has some gems.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Spaghetti with Rao’s marinara and beef meatballs

fusilli with pecorino cheese & olive oil
beef meatballs

raw organic vegetable platter (Persian cuke, celery, carrots, baby sweet peppers)

fruit and Girl Scout cookies

Originally Posted by JBord
Tonight appears to be a dilapidated and bast...ized version of pad thai or something similar. My wife wants to use spaghetti squash as the noodle. And she wants to cook the chicken in the carbon steel wok I've owned for over a year and finally got around to seasoning today...
How’d it come out?
did you ever go to Mizrahi’s Israeli - I love that place. I’m looking forward to a meal there in July.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:19 am

Tonight appears to be a dilapidated and bast...ized version of pad thai or something similar.
Originally Posted by gaobest
How’d it come out?
did you ever go to Mizrahi’s Israeli - I love that place. I’m looking forward to a meal there in July.
It was flavorful but the consistency was mushy. The spaghetti squash had no integrity at all. If people have seen my other posts, we've been experimenting with spaghetti squash noodles. Some things have worked well. This one failed, but at least it was delicious mush.

Haven't been to Mizrahi's yet. We plan to spend a good amount of July and August at my in-laws lake house, so it's likely I won't get there until this fall. Since we're still fairly new to the suburbs, we have a good list of places to try. The hard part is getting to them all. And we'll of course go into Chicago for some meals this summer as well.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was flavorful but the consistency was mushy. The spaghetti squash had no integrity at all. If people have seen my other posts, we've been experimenting with spaghetti squash noodles. Some things have worked well. This one failed, but at least it was delicious mush.

Haven't been to Mizrahi's yet. We plan to spend a good amount of July and August at my in-laws lake house, so it's likely I won't get there until this fall. Since we're still fairly new to the suburbs, we have a good list of places to try. The hard part is getting to them all. And we'll of course go into Chicago for some meals this summer as well.
Im guessing you’ve spiralized vegetables. I dont know of one with a similar flavor to spaghetti squash but zucchini works very well. I have the same result with spaghetti squash as you - it ain’t pasta.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Im guessing you’ve spiralized vegetables. I dont know of one with a similar flavor to spaghetti squash but zucchini works very well. I have the same result with spaghetti squash as you - it ain’t pasta.
I have not. My problem is I don't like most squashes (or any type of gourd for that matter). Spaghetti squash is the exception. But next time we'll just go with rice noodles. We had a squash to use and my wife got creative, so kudos to her. We experiment and learn I suppose.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not. My problem is I don't like most squashes (or any type of gourd for that matter). Spaghetti squash is the exception. But next time we'll just go with rice noodles. We had a squash to use and my wife got creative, so kudos to her. We experiment and learn I suppose.
Sweet potato works well also. I was given a spiralizer as a gift a few years back. I’m surprised at how often it’s used. We eat pasta maybe twice a year. But I love sauce and meatballs and Italian sausage. This makes it healthier. I probably use it once or twice a month.
JBord likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Sweet potato works well also. I was given a spiralizer as a gift a few years back. I’m surprised at how often it’s used. We eat pasta maybe twice a year. But I love sauce and meatballs and Italian sausage. This makes it healthier. I probably use it once or twice a month.
Do u boil or fry the spiralized sweet potato (or cook it in the sauce)?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
MS graduation supper celebration at Trattoria da Victoria, SF

Stuffed / fried zucchini squash flowers
deconstructed artichoke heart / arugula / pecorino salad

eggplant parmigiana
calzone

Froyo dessert at Easy Breezy:
peach pie (medium fat)
strawberry jelly (medium fat coconut milk)

csufabel likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Do u boil or fry the spiralized sweet potato (or cook it in the sauce)?
I steam it for a couple minutes. We also eat the zucchini and summer squash without cooking, just cover with heated sauce.

There are also commercial,products available. I’m sure I’ve seen beets and butternut squash. But it saves 75% to do your own spiralizing. You can buy a device for about $10-25 on Amazon I think. Mine has the crank handle, but there are other styles.
estnet and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.