Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding mayo overseas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Avoiding mayo overseas

Fellow mayo haters, other than the obvious (e.g. "hold the mayo on my sandwich"), what are some of the dishes you avoid? I am US based so I know the drill here...no cole slaw, no potato/egg/chicken salad, etc. However, I'm curious if there are any other global dishes to be on the lookout to specifically avoid. Example: street corn in Mexico; some vendors use crema but many use mayo.

All due respect is given to those of you who love mayo but I'm just not one of them.
estnet and thelark like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Fellow mayo haters, other than the obvious (e.g. "hold the mayo on my sandwich"), what are some of the dishes you avoid? I am US based so I know the drill here...no cole slaw, no potato/egg/chicken salad, etc. However, I'm curious if there are any other global dishes to be on the lookout to specifically avoid. Example: street corn in Mexico; some vendors use crema but many use mayo.

All due respect is given to those of you who love mayo but I'm just not one of them.
Whats your beef with mayo? I don’t use it as a condiment but no mayo would mean no tuna salad, no deviled eggs. I do think it’s used too liberally, especially in the south. A little goes a long way. BTW, I make my own at home: egg, olive oil, salt, dry mustard and lemon juice. The flavor differs from what you buy in a jar. If your issue is texture, I can’t help you.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I know some U.S. people who hate the stuff for whatever reason..Making my own (albeit aioli). What surprises me is the huge following it has in latin America. Was in a Paraguayan supermarket in the '90s and was astounded by the variety and sizes of mayo available: Hellman's in institutional size. Would take me a couple of decades to finish the jars they had in stock.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I know some U.S. people who hate the stuff for whatever reason..Making my own (albeit aioli). What surprises me is the huge following it has in latin America. Was in a Paraguayan supermarket in the '90s and was astounded by the variety and sizes of mayo available: Hellman's in institutional size. Would take me a couple of decades to finish the jars they had in stock.
I use it when I grill fish. It holds in the juices and gives the dill something to adhere to. It disappears in the cooking process.
obscure2k and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I suggest you never visit Chile.

Typical hot dog
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Not just overseas, but in the U.S. too.

Despise it. Hate it.

Sometimes I will say (despite the dietary implausibility) that I am allergic.

At new hamburger places I always have to interrogate the counter people to find out if they put any mayo-based stuff on routinely.

And one of the trends I hate, when I'm lucky enough to be in First Class, is the trend for sandwiches to come pre-glopped with mayo-based ickiness.
estnet, thelark, Worcester and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's automatic (part of the culture) on French fries in Belgium.

In the USA, mayo can be mixed with mashed/ground/whipped avocado to make a spread for sandwiches, so any sandwich that is described as having avocado should be avoided unless one can cross examine the server to make sure that there will be *slices* of avocado.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I suggest you never visit Chile.

Typical hot dog
That’s frightening.
TGarza likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Just about every sandwich, burger or salad I encountered in Argentina included mayonnaise. I had no problem with it but one of my traveling companions learned how to say "Sin mayonesa" with every food order. Watch the packets labelled salsa golf. They contain ketchup and mayo pre-mixed together.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Whats your beef with mayo? I don’t use it as a condiment but no mayo would mean no tuna salad, no deviled eggs. I do think it’s used too liberally, especially in the south. A little goes a long way. BTW, I make my own at home: egg, olive oil, salt, dry mustard and lemon juice. The flavor differs from what you buy in a jar. If your issue is texture, I can’t help you.

I avoid most mayo since it has no real taste and is globbed on sandwiches with some bites being almost all bread and mayo. Your recipe sounds better than most jars in the grocery store/food service.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by TGarza
I avoid most mayo since it has no real taste and is globbed on sandwiches with some bites being almost all bread and mayo. Your recipe sounds better than most jars in the grocery store/food service.
same. A whole bunch of extra calories for no real gain. Maybe if I was bulking I’d go for it?
lhrsfo, TGarza and Beltway2A like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGarza

What my recipe is missing is the loads of sugar and chemicals found in jars. I think the mustard and lemon give it a different flavor as well.

Mayonnaise is routinely overused in sub shops. I feel like a 6” Subway sandwich has about 1/4 cup of the stuff. And why would anyone add it to a tuna salad or chicken salad sandwich that already has enough in the mix?

I think I object more to mayo abuse and overuse than anything. That and cheese. Does there have to be cheese on or in everything?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
What my recipe is missing is the loads of sugar and chemicals found in jars. I think the mustard and lemon give it a different flavor as well.

Mayonnaise is routinely overused in sub shops. I feel like a 6” Subway sandwich has about 1/4 cup of the stuff. And why would anyone add it to a tuna salad or chicken salad sandwich that already has enough in the mix?

I think I object more to mayo abuse and overuse than anything. That and cheese. Does there have to be cheese on or in everything?
You are absolutely right. It's the insane desire for more sugar, more chemicals and more carbs with every dish, and the equally powerful desire the flavor of the primary ingredients (often because they are of low quality).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Pizza in Eastern Europe. When working in Sofia or Belgrade I'd sometimes pick up a carry-out slice on the way back to my hotel and found mayonnaise was often one of the toppings.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:10 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Russians just love tons of mayo on many of their salads. I find it absolutely disgusting. I lived in Russia for 3 years and ate very few Russian salads. They do make some very nice mushroom soup, though (no mayo).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.