Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding mayo overseas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TGarza
I avoid most mayo since it has no real taste and is globbed on sandwiches with some bites being almost all bread and mayo. Your recipe sounds better than most jars in the grocery store/food service.
Because you are only eating commercial mayo. The "recipe" is pretty much a traditional mayo recipe.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
That and cheese. Does there have to be cheese on or in everything?
Yes. So the cheese doesn't stand alone. If "American Cheese" is the only option, I hold the cheese, in which case, it will stand alone.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 13, 2020 at 10:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Fellow mayo haters, other than the obvious (e.g. "hold the mayo on my sandwich"), what are some of the dishes you avoid? I am US based so I know the drill here...no cole slaw, no potato/egg/chicken salad, etc. However, I'm curious if there are any other global dishes to be on the lookout to specifically avoid. Example: street corn in Mexico; some vendors use crema but many use mayo.

All due respect is given to those of you who love mayo but I'm just not one of them.
Great thread - let's all work together to save ourselves from this vile condiment.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You are absolutely right. It's the insane desire for more sugar, more chemicals and more carbs with every dish, and the equally powerful desire the flavor of the primary ingredients (often because they are of low quality).
Real mayo doesn't have sugar. Just looked at a jar of Hellman's and while sugar is an ingredient it's way down on the ingredient list and rounded down to 0g per Tbsp (15 ml). What does have sugar are viler-than-commercial-mayo imitations such as Kraft Miracle Whip (apparently was first offered as a cheap, Depression-era substitute) and it's probably not even sugar but more HFCS at that). 1g per same TBSP/15ml measure. Less oil too.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to try Japanese Kewpie Mayo. The dash of MSG makes all the difference!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
You need to try Japanese Kewpie Mayo. The dash of MSG makes all the difference!
That is probably the one mayo that I really dislike. It's sickly heavy. Fine on a California roll, but I wouldn't to use it on sandwiches.

When I moved to the UK I was shocked that so many pizza places would put a tub of mayo in the pizza box for you to slather on your pizza or dip into it. Yuck.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does there have to be cheese on or in everything?
Yes, yes there does. Cheese is heaven...I have never met a cheese that I didn't like although I am sure there are some out there.
Mayo is heaven too.
You people don't know how to eat.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by corky
Yes, yes there does. Cheese is heaven...I have never met a cheese that I didn't like although I am sure there are some out there.
Mayo is heaven too.
You people don't know how to eat.
Try living with lactose intolerance. I have lactase pills that work *some* of the time. That’s fine if I’m at home and I want to have a slice of pizza. Eating pizza out is like playing Russian roulette. BTW, I don’t have a problem with aged cheese. The lactose turns into something else after 6 to 9 months. And most pizza cheese doesn’t give me a problem. And not because it’s aged. I think it’s because it’s not all really dairy cheese.

Originally Posted by bensyd

When I moved to the UK I was shocked that so many pizza places would put a tub of mayo in the pizza box for you to slather on your pizza or dip into it. Yuck.
I’s the same way in Tennessee but with ranch dressing instead.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 13, 2020 at 10:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Hate mayo -- definitely a challenge to avoid in Europe. Especially on pre-packaged sandwiches. Whenever I'm at a train station or airport, I'm always looking for a nice basic chicken sandwich and then look at the options closely and there is a pound of mayo on the sandwiches.

Pret in particular is bad about this, the bread and sandwich always looks delicious but they just can't help themselves with mayo on everything.
_kurt likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try living with lactose intolerance. I have lactase pills that work *some* of the time. That’s fine if I’m at home and I want to have a slice of pizza. Eating pizza out is like playing Russian roulette. BTW, I don’t have a problem with aged cheese. The lactose turns into something else after 6 to 9 months. And most pizza cheese doesn’t give me a problem. And not because it’s aged. I think it’s because it’s not all really dairy cheese.
Mayo does not have dairy.
Yes, aged cheese...the longer, the better----most parmesans or aged cheddar.. But also most lactose intolerant people can have goat cheese or sheep's milk cheese. Goat cheese is really good on pizza.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fragola
Just about every sandwich, burger or salad I encountered in Argentina included mayonnaise. I had no problem with it but one of my traveling companions learned how to say "Sin mayonesa" with every food order. Watch the packets labelled salsa golf. They contain ketchup and mayo pre-mixed together.
My stomach is churning even as I type this, but I have encountered "salsa golf" also called "salsa rosa" and "salsa rosada." All appear to be the same vile concoction.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Pret in particular is bad about this, the bread and sandwich always looks delicious but they just can't help themselves with mayo on everything.
I'll never forget the girl at the LHR T5 Pret looking at me like I had two heads because I asked if there were any sandwiches without mayo. After mentally processing what must have been a baffling request to her, she found me one with yogurt.

That Chilean hot dog - is that a standard preparation or would it be ordered/requested the way?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 13, 2020 at 10:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:46 pm

What my recipe is missing is the loads of sugar and chemicals found in jars. I think the mustard and lemon give it a different flavor as well.

Mayonnaise is routinely overused in sub shops. I feel like a 6” Subway sandwich has about 1/4 cup of the stuff. And why would anyone add it to a tuna salad or chicken salad sandwich that already has enough in the mix?

I think I object more to mayo abuse and overuse than anything. That and cheese. Does there have to be cheese on or in everything?
Firehouse Subs is probably worse than Subway with adding mayonnaise to a sandwich. I prefer mustard on a sandwich. Maybe that's why I don't like the sugar in mayo.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Firehouse Subs is probably worse than Subway with adding mayonnaise to a sandwich. I prefer mustard on a sandwich. Maybe that's why I don't like the sugar in mayo.
OK, so it isn't just me. Recently had my first Firehouse sub and after my first bite, was on the verge of throwing up. It was like "do you want a sub with your mayo?" Except for tuna, egg or pasta salad, I don't put on mayo and even then, very sparingly. I never put mayo on anything else. Firehouse gave me what I normally consume in three/four years all in one shot.
TGarza likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That Chilean hot dog - is that a standard preparation or would it be ordered/requested the way?
Deports Authority - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Video Clip) | Comedy Central

This is an old Daily Show clip. About 4 minutes in (brought up twice).

You can get the hot dog w/o the mayo. But this is a typical prep - "italiano" (the 3 colors of the Italian flag).
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm not anti-mayo but I don't want it on everything. My brother however can't stand the taste or texture of mayo (or anything like it) so I try and pay attention so I can warn him what to avoid. One thing we've noticed is that the Japanese places around here LOVE to use mayo in everything - on sushi, in hibachi, as a salad dressing, etc. I haven't encountered this much mayo use in Japanese places elsewhere even in the US, so I'm assuming this is a southern thing. Am I right?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Fellow mayo haters, other than the obvious (e.g. "hold the mayo on my sandwich"), what are some of the dishes you avoid? I am US based so I know the drill here...no cole slaw, no potato/egg/chicken salad, etc. However, I'm curious if there are any other global dishes to be on the lookout to specifically avoid. Example: street corn in Mexico; some vendors use crema but many use mayo.

All due respect is given to those of you who love mayo but I'm just not one of them.

I would suggest you use "no mayo" instead of "hold the mayo, please" - because "hold the mayo" may not be obvious to a non-native English speaker. I know what it means, but it makes literally no sense, unless you know the phrase already.

- DanishFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.