Reload this Page >

Lasagne - Order of Layers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lasagne - Order of Layers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The mornay sauce is a good point rather than a strict béchamel. I use a strong cheddar over here, not authentic but I like the flavour. Then a generous grating of Parmesan over the final mornay layer. As per the previous poster, I don't make lasagne often, but when I do I like to make it with a sauce and bolognaise from scratch.

What are people's thoughts on nutmeg? I add a generous amount to the mornay sauce and over the top of the finished dish before it goes in the oven. I like the background fragrance it gives.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 15, 2017 at 5:04 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yes on the nutmeg- preferably freshly grated. And a good really aged English Cheddar (such as a bandaged Neal"s Yard Cheddar-which I love) would be an okay substitution. This is totally different than most cheddar Americans buy.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Yes on the nutmeg- preferably freshly grated. And a good really aged English Cheddar (such as a bandaged Neal"s Yard Cheddar-which I love) would be an okay substitution. This is totally different than most cheddar Americans buy.
It's a lovely cheese, but why waste it in a lasagne?

I prefer it at room temperature with a glass of something nice and a tart apple.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:20 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Nutmeg is essential when making a spinach lasagna. @:-)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Nutmeg is essential when making a spinach lasagna. @:-)
I HATE nutmeg, so no, I don't want it. Then again I hate spinach too so probably wouldn't make a spinach lasagne to begin with.

Good lasagne needs to be cooked, cooled and sit for a day, and then reheated.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Agree about cooling and reheating (slowly). Everything sets nicely and less likely to fall apart.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:41 pm

I really only like it when it is fresh out of the oven (after resting a bit to settle) but being as there are usually left overs I will eat it again.
Being single I do not cook like this very often and this is a dish I only make for people I like/love. Folks make a big deal out of a standing rip roast or a whole roast turkey- those are easy! A dish like this takes time and care and you have to know what you are doing if you are going to make it right.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
I really only like it when it is fresh out of the oven (after resting a bit to settle) but being as there are usually left overs I will eat it again.
Being single I do not cook like this very often and this is a dish I only make for people I like/love. Folks make a big deal out of a standing rip roast or a whole roast turkey- those are easy! A dish like this takes time and care and you have to know what you are doing if you are going to make it right.
Unfortunately I have discovered that lasagne freezes awfully well, meaning I can make a pan of it and have 8 lunches for the next few weeks. My waistline has been paying the price.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA
Made lasagna today. Glad to see people think it's better upon reheating, because it took so long to make that I had to eat lunch in the middle of the process, and now I'm not hungry at all. I look forward to having lasagna for dinner and freezing the rest in portions for future meals.

I doctored up a large jar of Victoria tomato sauce (too acidic for my taste on its own; added a dash of baking soda, salt, pepper, sugar, Italian seasoning, parsley, a spoonful of concentrated beef broth base, white wine, and a slug of half & half)...

and I doctored up a tub of ricotta cheese (two beaten eggs, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, a slug of half & half) ...

and, persuaded by previous posts, I gave up my idea of tomato sauce only/ricotta sauce only layers, and went with a sequence of tomato sauce/pasta/ricotta, tomato sauce/pasta/ricotta, etc. Topped it with tomato sauce and generous sprinkling of a grated Italian cheese mix and a last dash of Italian seasoning.

Covered with foil, 35 minutes in the oven at 375 deg F, removed foil, turned oven up to 450 deg F, 10 more minutes.

Oh, forgot to mention I used Barilla no-boil noodles, five layers, I think.

It looks fantastic. I'll find out at dinner if it tastes fantastic; I'm optimistic.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Another factor - having seen a telly programme last night that was trying out using kelp in place of pasta for lasagne sheets (verdict: tasty but chewy) - what are people's preferences on the sauce thickness.

The lasagne presented was sloppy - a fairly liquid bechamel and fairly liquid ragu combining as a leaky pink mess. IMO, it should be able to stand on its "own two feet" as it were. What say the jury?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by stut
Another factor - having seen a telly programme last night that was trying out using kelp in place of pasta for lasagne sheets (verdict: tasty but chewy) - what are people's preferences on the sauce thickness.

The lasagne presented was sloppy - a fairly liquid bechamel and fairly liquid ragu combining as a leaky pink mess. IMO, it should be able to stand on its "own two feet" as it were. What say the jury?
Thick sauce. Not too thick so as to be a paste, but thick enough that it doesn't run out of the lasagna.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:12 am

Since the pasta absorbs much of the liquid using kelp would require adjusting the sturdiness of the filling. Also since the actual name "Lasagna" refers to a pasta product it should be called Kelp Casserole or Kelp Strata
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:42 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Since the pasta absorbs much of the liquid using kelp would require adjusting the sturdiness of the filling. Also since the actual name "Lasagna" refers to a pasta product it should be called Kelp Casserole or Kelp Strata
Yeah, I file it up there with cauliflower couscous or courgette spaghetti (aka courgetti).

I have, however, seen plenty sloppy lasagne in my time, with kelp nowhere near them.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Yes, a certain solidity is expected of the dish.

Originally Posted by kipper
Thick sauce. Not too thick so as to be a paste, but thick enough that it doesn't run out of the lasagna.
Exactamente. And let the whole casserole (not just the thing
with a square or two taken out of it) set for several hours
before cutting into it.

It shouldn't happen in the first place, but if it must, changing the
consistency of the sauce and the filling would be mandatory. And
it should in fact be called "coastal-style lasagne-type abomination"
or something like that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Yes I agree on the 'solidity' of the lasgane. You should be able to eat it from a plate rather than needing a bowl. I find this requires it being left to rest for a couple of hours (at least) once it's been cooked, then reheated if needed. If I don't let it rest and try and take a portion too soon the lasagne and the portion collapse, v unsatisfactory!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.