Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I can understand if you can't leave wherever you are to go get food. I could see using it to order food if I'm incredibly sick with bronchitis or some such and Mr. Kipper is out of town. I would consider using it for lunches at work, except that with our building security, I need to go to the lobby to meet anyone. If I'm doing that, I can just run out to the food truck outside, or call in an order to any of the restaurants within a 2-3 minute walk of the building. But, if they could just deliver it to the reception desk and I could dash there, I would.
Agreed. I see the attractiveness of the service for those who don't have as many nearby options. I'm usually no more than 5-7 minutes away from 10+ food options. And thankfully no one really cares if you take a long lunch where I work.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
These services really are best when one is buying for more than 1 person. I feel bad for the delivery person who is waiting at a place to fetch a single item because they’re not going to get much of a tip. Like a person at a restaurant that is sitting at a table for 2 people...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Agreed. I see the attractiveness of the service for those who don't have as many nearby options. I'm usually no more than 5-7 minutes away from 10+ food options. And thankfully no one really cares if you take a long lunch where I work.
Why would you need these services once you're living in a CFA?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
No one cares if I take a long lunch where I am, but sometimes, projects don't allow me to get away for more than a few minutes.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gaobest
These services really are best when one is buying for more than 1 person. I feel bad for the delivery person who is waiting at a place to fetch a single item because they’re not going to get much of a tip. Like a person at a restaurant that is sitting at a table for 2 people...
I actually see it more for a solo biz traveler who just wants to stay in at the hotel and finish up homework and such. I did my first overnight biz trip sans rental car last month (Uber + food delivery) and I see the appeal.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I actually see it more for a solo biz traveler who just wants to stay in at the hotel and finish up homework and such. I did my first overnight biz trip sans rental car last month (Uber + food delivery) and I see the appeal.
It’s great for a work trip like you said but would you be willing to pay the fees with your own money with no tax benefit? I assume that a working dinner gets expensed including fees. But yes, your example is genius. Bet it was way better than room service :-)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For my local delivery service, I tip the driver, but I don't have to pay any extra fees if the restaurant is within a certain radius.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gaobest

It’s great for a work trip like you said but would you be willing to pay the fees with your own money with no tax benefit? I assume that a working dinner gets expensed including fees. But yes, your example is genius. Bet it was way better than room service :-)
Given it was a Hampton Inn, room service was basically limited list of food delivery. To your first question no way would I spend my own money on tips and fees. I carry out 90% of the time we have outside food.

But that model works only if driving distance and time and parking are easy, as it is for me. In Sunnyvale, Orange County etc I might be tempted to let the driver deal with the hassle.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

but that model works only if driving distance and time and parking are easy, as it is for me. In Sunnyvale, Orange County etc I might be tempted to let the driver deal with the hassle.
doesn't that end up getting baked into the fees the same way Uber's rates get jacked up in the middle of a snowstorm here?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Why would you need these services once you're living in a CFA?
Someone is living in a... Chick-fil-A?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:02 pm

Does anyone know if UberEats can utilize the monthly Uber credit from AmEx? I rarely use Uber, so have only used 2 months of my last 12 months credit. If I could apply it to UberEats, I'd give it a try.

Haven't tried any of these services yet, but sounds like something to look into for evenings when the fridge is empty and we never got to the grocery store but don't feel like going out.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does anyone know if UberEats can utilize the monthly Uber credit from AmEx? I rarely use Uber, so have only used 2 months of my last 12 months credit. If I could apply it to UberEats, I'd give it a try.

Haven't tried any of these services yet, but sounds like something to look into for evenings when the fridge is empty and we never got to the grocery store but don't feel like going out.
Apparently, yes according to The Points Guy.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/ame...dits-ubereats/

I too only use my Uber credits about twice a year.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Thanks! I didn't realize I also needed to download a different app. Although, I took a look at the UberEats website yesterday, and the options in our area are not stellar. I can see using it while traveling, however, as an alternative to pizza delivery.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:16 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tmorse6570

I too only use my Uber credits about twice a year.
Thanks. This is good to know as I accumulate Uber credits and I too only use them about twice/year.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I've never used any 3rd party delivery service and never will due to my paranoia of my food being tampered with. Reading the Uber eats reddit did nothing to put my mind at ease with all the drivers complaining about nobody tipping and one admitting to bringing his own straw and skimming food and drink from people's orders from resaurants that didnt seal up the bag. We all hear stories from time to time of delivery drivers tampering with food, and thats just the ones that get caught. Call me paranoid but I'm too weary of letting a stranger be alone with my food in their car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.