Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If you have your parrilla fired up, you could BBQ whole tomatoes so the skin is a bit charred. Remove the charred skin and use the tomatoes in your sauce. The smoked flavour will be just strong enough. Peppers/capsicums would be nice too.

Could also roast the other veg you put in such as onions, garlic, carrots first (if you don't saute them which is what I usually do).
Sounds great! I just want to add, if you can not find fresh mushrooms, please don't use tinned ones. IMHO, it is better to find some dried mushrooms, which you can reconstitute with water.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have your parrilla fired up, you could BBQ whole tomatoes so the skin is a bit charred. Remove the charred skin and use the tomatoes in your sauce. The smoked flavour will be just strong enough. Peppers/capsicums would be nice too.
Actual BBQ flavors (brown sugar/ketchup/vinegar/mustard/worcestershire sauce)? Does that go with Italian food? It seems like an odd mix.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Actual BBQ flavors (brown sugar/ketchup/vinegar/mustard/worcestershire sauce)? Does that go with Italian food? It seems like an odd mix.
None of that. The carbonization of the tomato skin and (very partial) caramelisation of the tomato's sugars give a wonderful flavour.

Similarly, if you make baba ghanouj (eggplant/aubergine dip), always char the skin of the aubergine first and then use the flesh. You get a wonderful smoked flavour.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:46 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
i dont think anyone is suggesting adding bbq flavors to the sauce.

Just fire-roasting (grilling) some tomatos and peppers to give it a little smoky touch.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
We could make suggestions till the next Moon flight, but who really knows your taste - we're all different. I personally like a chunky tomato base with plenty of onion and garlic + beef or Italian sausage. I prefer to take a piece of beef (rather than ground) and cut it into small dice and brown it well before adding to the sauce (I do this first and use the same pan to retain flavors). If you're out of wine, balsamic vinegar is basically the same thing and works beautifully too.

I also make a chicken spaghetti dish by browning a few pieces of bacon and removing the bacon from the pan, browning the chicken pieces in the bacon fat, draining off most of the fat, adding a can of whole tomatoes and seasoning, and braising the chicken in the tomatoes with the crumbled bacon added. Just break up the tomatoes as it cooks. This is very easy and very good.

Here's a simple idea that I've been wanting to try:

Roasted Tomato Pasta

2 lb plum tomatoes
1/2 C olive oil
2 cl garlic minced
1 T Italian seasoning
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1/2 t sea salt
1/4 t coarse black pepper
8 oz pasta

cut tomatoes lengthwise, and place in foil-lined oblong metal pan

mix 1/4 C oil, garlic and spices, and spoon over the tomatoes
drizzle w/2 T more oil

roast at 400F for 45 min., or until browned

cook pasta and drain

coarsely mash 1/2 of the tomatoes w/ remaining 2 T oil

add pasta and remaining tomatoes, and toss well

serve
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None of that. The carbonization of the tomato skin and (very partial) caramelisation of the tomato's sugars give a wonderful flavour.

Similarly, if you make baba ghanouj (eggplant/aubergine dip), always char the skin of the aubergine first and then use the flesh. You get a wonderful smoked flavour.
Grilling, now that makes sense.

But, you did say BBQ. Causing the confusion.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Grilling, now that makes sense.

But, you did say BBQ. Causing the confusion.
Some of us use the terms interchangeably.

Some pancetta and/or proscuitto is nice. With the former, you can slowly and gently fry the pancetta until it is crispy. Take it pancetta out and leave the oil to fry/saute the veg and add back the pancetta just before you serve. Proscuitto is the same but needs some oil to get going as it is dry.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
chorizo

Given your location, can't believe that no-one has suggested chorizo yet. It's a trusty standby for our pasta sauce (which is pretty similar to yours).
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
Does it have to be tomato sauce? If not, both pesto and carbonara are very easy to make.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Meaning... not very bad, right?
Meaning that if they don't notice, not very bad, and you and whoever knows about it can laugh about it for years to come. If they notice, then, well, expect war. But, then again, this is all just a guess. I'd never do anything like that to anyone...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:13 am
uk1
Suspended

I'm hurt you didn't ask me ....

But you didn't say what type of pasta?!

How on earth can anyone suggest a sauce unless they know what type of pasta or what the dish is suppose to be?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braslvr
Yes, it is amazing how hard/impossible it is to find fresh mushrooms in Brazil as well, even in large modern supermarkets such as Carrefour.
I wonder if it's to do with the climate? When they are in the shops they're not very good either.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
IMHO, it is better to find some dried mushrooms, which you can reconstitute with water.
Good idea. ^

Sounds good....plenty of aubergines available.

Originally Posted by MariaSF
Does it have to be tomato sauce? If not, both pesto and carbonara are very easy to make.
Any sauce will do me.

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Given your location, can't believe that no-one has suggested chorizo yet. It's a trusty standby for our pasta sauce (which is pretty similar to yours).
Good idea....I hadn't thought of using chorizo.

Originally Posted by Daawgon

Here's a simple idea that I've been wanting to try:
Thanks Daawgon....I shall keep that recipe and give it a try.

Originally Posted by uk1
How on earth can anyone suggest a sauce unless they know what type of pasta or what the dish is suppose to be?
There's always one smart alec.

We use the same sauce for all pasta and even pizza. Last night we had it with Ravioli and the rest was put in the freezer to be used later with spaghetti or gnocchi. Does it really matter what type of pasta it is?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:50 am
uk1
Suspended

For every smart alec there's also a dumb one!?

You use the same sauce for every pasta and pizza. I bet you add a touch of chilli to the pasta sauce when it's on a pizza ... huh?! My son ..... grasshopper .... this is all an error. Different sauces for different courses.

OK .....

Is it too thick and intense with too much flavour - and cloggy after such extended and intensifying cooking? It feels too dry intense and cloggy from what you've said. Perhaps adding some milk or water? You might think of frying some panceta or streaky bacon off before adding onion and meat? And please leave the garlic out ..... not every italian meal has to have garlic in it .....

Do you have any basil on your window sill? If not .... any ouzo, Anise de Montserat ... or even sambucca? Something with anise in it. A little of this will "lift" the sauce.

Also the reason why the pasta makes a lot of difference is because different pasta types have different "purposes" and functions - and some are the star of the dish and some are simply an embellishment to the sauce. Fettucine for example is often nice with something really light like a carbonara - or simple creamy mushroom sauce.

The biggest mistake - imho - that people make is cheap pasta and too much thick claggy overly-meaty sauce that sits like a useless lump on top of the pasta. In genuine Italian cooking the pasta is the star of the dish not the sauce .... but many people think it's the other way round and this is often the cause of their problems.

Last edited by uk1; Mar 28, 2011 at 8:06 am Reason: garlic
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:04 am

Agreed uk1, heavy tomato based sauces overpower the pasta sometimes. Myself I like nothing more than good olive oil, black pepper, finely chopped chilli, parsley, garlic and parmesan warmed and then tossed with some dried linguine (cooked). Nothing more is needed except perhaps a large glass of chilled Chablis!

Last edited by indianwells; Mar 28, 2011 at 9:09 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I simply dice up fresh tomatoes (de-skinned first) and cook them, then adding a few spices for flavour. Nothing beats fresh sauce like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.