Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
from my eyes there's 2 things you can do to spice things up. 1) add pancetta or 2) add sausage (without casing like meatball. but bitesize). would made a difference as compared to a vegetarian meal
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
mushrooms...fresh, sliced and sauteeded in a little garlic and onion...along with either some sausage or pork...along with the rest of your ingredients. making it right now...can't wait
talking about which, i had the best experience with these guys(we were all students, but still) (without any meat, just mushrooms)

i dont bothering telling the portions cuz you seem to know what you're doing and i cook in units of food anyway (besides onion and pasta, which noone prefers so): you'd know why later
mixed shrooms (oyster, brown, white, shitake, anything), saute with some onion. start this before cooking the pasta

done with pasta, mix n toss them so the pasta gets coated well.

right, here comes the best bit.
6-7 of us, i was serving everyone. but the time i put down the pan 1 of the plate was empty. i had a second thinking if i've forgotten to serve him.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Originally Posted by nerd
And if you saute the anchovies with the onion/garlic/etc at the beginning, they will practically dissolve into the rest of the sauce.
This is also how I make my pasta sauce and no one knows there's anchovie fillets as they melt in the pan. You only need 2 or 3 to enhance the flavour. I like to roast my onions, garlic, red & yellow peppers and grape tomatoes (only added for 10 minutes at the end). I use jarred artichoke hearts, hot pepper flakes or hot pickled pepperes, sundried tomoatoes, red wine and feta or goat cheese added at the very end. Sometimes kalamata olives also.

YVR coach: Bosa Foods, off of Boundary and Graveley, make their own brand of pasta sauce and I sometimes use their Puttanesca Sauce as a base and then add more capers, Kalamata and everything else. Yum...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Saturday, fixing baked penne for a crowd, a dozen, I made up a substantial quantity of sauce....Garlic, onions, celery, red and green bell peppers sauteed in olive oil, fresh Italian sausage browned in skillet and sliced small before adding, pan deglazed with red wine, basis, thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, canned diced tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato paste, then simmered slowly for an hour or so, salt to taste, and a pound or so of sliced mushrooms previously sauteed with garlic in oil, and at the very last moment a couple of dozen cherub tomatoes halved (brightness and a distinctive 'fresh' tomato flavor).

Layered in a 6" deep casserole (wiped w/olive oil), cooked (al dente), drained penne, some shaved Pecorino and fresh grated Parm, sauce, penne again, Pec & Parm, sauce and some "young" Mozarella atop, then heated through and browned in the oven.

American tastes, palates and tradition seem almost fixated on Mozarella (usually the featureless "store-bought" sort, on the excuse that it melts and is unobtrusive). The same is true of Parmigiano Reggiano. Were I a missionary for Italian cheese, my sermons would advocate Pecorino, an under-appreciated cheese appealing when both young and old (and in between), and depending upon age and source capable of nuanced flavor.

To accompany the pasta, variety lettuces, a light vinaigrette, some warm baguettes, and a half dozen bottles of modest "Nero d'Avola" from Sicily. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing a sauce like that in Italy and I had no real or imagined Italian grandmothers, but it was successful, admired by all.

Personally, I'm most partial to a well composed "Putanesca" (preference for single "t", in deference to the traditional spelling for the occupational title), some of the "all Arabbiattas" (the pepper should enhance, not overpower), and a sort of specialty dish, pasta with olive oil, garlic "dry" pack chopped anchovies, black pepper, and loads of chopped fresh parsley added on mixing (no cheese!).
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
A couple of people have suggested similarly but the best thing you can to is try to get some fresh tomatoes in there. However, to get the best flavours from the tomato you must first cook them to concentrate the flavours. I suggest slow roasting the tomatoes first before pureeing and adding them to the sauce. Simply cut back the amount of canned tomato that you use based on the amount of roasted tomato.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
My wife's sauce is much improved - it is now very good. She attributes this to the quality of the ingredients she uses and says her biggest change is in the tomatoes. She read a recipe which recommended 'San Marzano -D.O.P. Certified ' tomatoes and she now uses this brand. Cans are not sold in your typical Jewel or Safeway, but if you find them, are well worth it.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
For what it's worth, the secret to a great sauce is the tomatoes. Look for a can that does NOT have citric acid in the ingredients. A can of california tomatoes with no citric acid will trump a can of San Marzanos with citric acid any day.

If that's not available, simple make sure you remove the seeds and slime from the middle of fresh Roma tomatoes before adding them to the sauce. I took cooking classes in Tuscany and Naples, and this was the secret to a great sauce. You will not need any carrot or sugar to balance the sauce when using fresh tomatoes (or any canned tomato with no citric acid).

Delicious basic tomato sauce (recipe from Napoli)
- Cook some diced onion in good olive oil
- Add 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Once onions are translucent, add in 4-5 quartered Roma tomatoes (slime and seeds removed)
- Cook over low until the tomatoes break down.
- Toss some pasta and fresh basil into the sauce and serve!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by pulseeric
For what it's worth, the secret to a great sauce is the tomatoes. Look for a can that does NOT have citric acid in the ingredients. A can of california tomatoes with no citric acid will trump a can of San Marzanos with citric acid any day.

If that's not available, simple make sure you remove the seeds and slime from the middle of fresh Roma tomatoes before adding them to the sauce. I took cooking classes in Tuscany and Naples, and this was the secret to a great sauce. You will not need any carrot or sugar to balance the sauce when using fresh tomatoes (or any canned tomato with no citric acid).

Delicious basic tomato sauce (recipe from Napoli)
- Cook some diced onion in good olive oil
- Add 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Once onions are translucent, add in 4-5 quartered Roma tomatoes (slime and seeds removed)
- Cook over low until the tomatoes break down.
- Toss some pasta and fresh basil into the sauce and serve
!
Sounds good! No salt & pepper?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:34 pm

oops! salt and pepper to taste, of course!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:45 pm

For you meat lovers:

Orecchietti with Bolognese

Cook 1/4 diced onion, 1/4 diced carrot, 1 rib of diced celery in olive oil until onions are translucent. Remove the contents of 2 italian sausages from their casings and add along with 2 chopped garlic cloves and a flick of red pepper flakes. Once meat is browned, add a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan, and a cup of chicken stock. Once boiling, add 3-4 roma tomatoes, quartered, seeds and slime removed. Simmer on low until the tomatoes break down and sauce reduces to a nice consistency.

Add fresh chopped oregano, basil, pasta (orrechietti or penne works great for this one) and toss with a splash of olive oil and fresh parmiggiano reggiano.

One of the most delicious pasta dishes ever (recipe from the province of Lucca).
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by pulseeric
I will try this - but I believe it is Michael Symon who recommends San Marzano D.O.P.Certified.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
mushrooms...fresh, sliced and sauteeded in a little garlic and onion...along with either some sausage or pork...along with the rest of your ingredients. making it right now...can't wait
And don't forget the red wine or port. Add to the meat and reduce then add your ingredients. The meat takes up the wine and really makes a huge difference.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, Marriott Gold
A little tomato paste -- it adds an extra element of strong tomato flavor. Add it after the onions/vegetables are cooked, for a minute or so before continuing on
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:11 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by u2fan
My wife's sauce is much improved - it is now very good. She attributes this to the quality of the ingredients she uses and says her biggest change is in the tomatoes. She read a recipe which recommended 'San Marzano -D.O.P. Certified ' tomatoes and she now uses this brand. Cans are not sold in your typical Jewel or Safeway, but if you find them, are well worth it.
I remove the tomatoes from the can and than hand-squish them into the pot. The hand-squished tomatoes add a really good texture.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:20 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Just throwing in my own few foolproof recipes

Firstly, if you're using canned/tinned tomatoes, try to get San Marzano as they genuinely are the best quality, but ALWAYS add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity...

My basic Marinara sauce - great for pasta or as a pizza base

Here's a Vodka alla Penna recipe - takes 15 minutes to make from start to finish.

Chicken & Pea Risotto

And a new variation on Risotto using Bolognese - sounds weird but it is delicious

If you have any type of smoked/cured trout or salmon, this is great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.