Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:35 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by indianwells
Agreed uk1, heavy tomato based sauces overpower the pasta sometimes. Myself I like nothing more than good olive oil, black pepper, finely chopped chilli, parsley, garlic and parmesan warmed and then tossed with some dried linguine (cooked). Nothing more is needed except perhaps a large glass of chilled Chablis!
Assolutamente!

It can be difficult enough if it's intensely flavoured but then it's often the quantity of the sauce. In it's simplest terms purely to illustrate the point .... if you had a bowl of pasta and added a spoon of Heinz tomato sauce ... it might be acceptable but a whole cup of it .......

Less and lighter is more.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by indianwells
Agreed uk1, heavy tomato based sauces overpower the pasta sometimes. Myself I like nothing more than good olive oil, black pepper, finely chopped chilli, parsley, garlic and parmesan warmed and then tossed with some dried linguine (cooked). Nothing more is needed except perhaps a large glass of chilled Chablis!
Yup. Sometimes I add a few capers and/or fresh anchovies and leave out the parmesan.

I see the need for a tomato sauce when you're making a ragu but plain tomato is dull and heavy.

If it must have tomatoes then I like to blanch fresh ones to remove their skins and then finely dice them before adding to the chilli, parsley and garlic above. Let the pasta warm the ingredients.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is quality of the ingredients. Do the tomatoes have a decent taste when eaten fresh? How about the canned variety (sauce or whole)? If that is lacking to begin with, trying to jazz it up with other stuff isn't going to help a whole deal.

I'm not sure what growing conditions are out like in the Pampas but you might try growing your own tomatoes. They are a lot tastier than the store-bought stuff especially since you can pick them when they're ripe (unlike stuff that is picked green for transport and allowed to change colour (or sometimes forced to by gas) - these never develop a good flavour.)

As for pizza sauce, that is generally a plain tomato sauce (with herbs such as oregano/marjoram, maybe basil and thyme) reduced until it is thick.

If you're looking for variety, I can tell you a whole bunch of ways to make pasta more exciting but I think one of them has been ruled out (only four ingredients: spaghetti, olive oil, black pepper and anchovies).
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'm not sure what growing conditions are out like in the Pampas but you might try growing your own tomatoes. They are a lot tastier than the store-bought stuff especially since you can pick them when they're ripe
I had a bumper crop of tomatoes this summer....still picking the last ones in fact. Last year I used my own to make the sauce. To be honest so good is the quality of the tomatoes you can buy in a jar (without additives) there really is no need to faff about skinning your own.

uk1.....a sauce without garlic just isn't going to happen mate. Sometimes we just have plain pasta with a dressing of hot garlic and olive oil. Very easy and very tasty.
By the way.....the quality of the pasta here is excellent. We either buy it freshly made or my wife makes her own. ^
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Romano Peppers and fresh Chilli
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:30 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
uk1.....a sauce without garlic just isn't going to happen mate. Sometimes we just have plain pasta with a dressing of hot garlic and olive oil. Very easy and very tasty.
By the way.....the quality of the pasta here is excellent. We either buy it freshly made or my wife makes her own. ^
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind or floating or sinking in the bowl.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I always grill some hot italian sausages and toss them in the sauce and let it simmer for a few hours.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:10 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by ninerfan
I always grill some hot italian sausages and toss them in the sauce and let it simmer for a few hours.
Why?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind or floating or sinking in the bowl.
I'm laughing but
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Originally Posted by ninerfan
Why?
What do you mean, "Why"?

It's a universal rule that everything's better with bacon, or sausage.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

OP, have you tried making risotto? It's a great alternative to pasta and so easy.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
OP, have you tried making risotto? It's a great alternative to pasta and so easy.
I have made it.....once, many years ago. It was horrible so I never made it again.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:36 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nerd
What do you mean, "Why"?

It's a universal rule that everything's better with bacon, or sausage.
This is true, unless you're a vegetarian. But, yes, I agree. As I've suggested before, add some meat to the sauce.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:59 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm laughing but

You girls are all the same. Pretending you don't understand my pithy jokes or my inuendos.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by uk1
You girls are all the same. Pretending you don't understand my pithy jokes or my inuendos.
Yeth, they are pithy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.