Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Babaduck
Just throwing in my own few foolproof recipes

Firstly, if you're using canned/tinned tomatoes, try to get San Marzano as they genuinely are the best quality, but ALWAYS add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity...
My wife swears by San Marzano - but there are different ones: she likes D.O.P.Certified.
Old May 1, 2011, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your contributions......they are much appreciated.

I shall keep referring to this thread every time I make some pasta sauce.....no more boring sauce for me.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Originally Posted by u2fan
My wife swears by San Marzano - but there are different ones: she likes D.O.P.Certified.
They are the only ones I can find (lucky for me ^)
Old May 8, 2011, 2:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
A little late to this...but you can search on YouTube for Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation: Look for the episode called "Technique Specials". Chef Scott Conant of Scarpetta teaches you how to make a tomato-basil spaghetti. It's about 13 minute into the episode.
Old May 11, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Lots and lots of ingredients. Why not fewer and fewer?

1. 28oz can best quality plum tomatoes. 1 tsp kosher salt. 5 tbsp. (!) butter. One onion halved and peeled (not diced!). Put in pan and cook for a rather long time until, well, it's done. Cut up the tomatoes every once in a while. It will take quite a while. Serve with Parmigiano Reggiano on spaghetti or penne.

2. Two rashers bacon/pancetta per person, diced and one clove of garlic, smashed. Sautee them in olive oil for a while. At some point add one small chopped red chilli (the earlier you add it the hotter it will be). Serve with spaghettini or spaghetti. (I eat it with Parmigiano Reggiano which is not the orthodox way, I guess.)

3. "Some" sliced prosciutto or equivalent, diced. Brown lightly in butter. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream per serving, reduce. Stir in grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Serve with penne rigate.

The last two can be made in the time it takes the water to boil and the pasta to cook.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Babaduck
Just throwing in my own few foolproof recipes

Firstly, if you're using canned/tinned tomatoes, try to get San Marzano as they genuinely are the best quality, but ALWAYS add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity...

My basic Marinara sauce - great for pasta or as a pizza base

Here's a Vodka alla Penna recipe - takes 15 minutes to make from start to finish.

Chicken & Pea Risotto

And a new variation on Risotto using Bolognese - sounds weird but it is delicious

If you have any type of smoked/cured trout or salmon, this is great
I just want to complement you on how much I enjoy reading your site/blog. ^
Old May 11, 2011, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Daytona
A little late to this...but you can search on YouTube for Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation: Look for the episode called "Technique Specials". Chef Scott Conant of Scarpetta teaches you how to make a tomato-basil spaghetti. It's about 13 minute into the episode.
Scott Conant's Tomato Basil spaghetti is beyond delicious. I go to Scarpetta in Beverly Hills, just for that one dish. It is so worth it.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:55 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Scott Conant's Tomato Basil spaghetti is beyond delicious. I go to Scarpetta in Beverly Hills, just for that one dish. It is so worth it.
I just watched the video. It looks amazing, but holy crap that is some fattening pasta sauce.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I just watched the video. It looks amazing, but holy crap that is some fattening pasta sauce.
That struck me as well. Lots of olive oil in the sauce and then butter to finish. Not something I would do at home but as a special treat at Scarpetta I can see myself ordering it. The portion wasn't very large either.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:26 am

It is a bit rich but the portion is fairly small. It's not a heaping bowl of pasta. Sure is good.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorn
Lots and lots of ingredients. Why not fewer and fewer?
Indeed....my wife's favourite 'sauce' is just good quality Virgin olive oil with plenty of chopped garlic....heated up in a pan then poured over the pasta. Some good quality grated parmesan and that's it.

Very simple and quick but tasty.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:22 pm

FYI, there is a Scarpetta in Las Vegas. Next time you are there, give that one dish a try. It is really special.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
FYI, there is a Scarpetta in Las Vegas. Next time you are there, give that one dish a try. It is really special.
They also have one in Toronto and Miami (which I plan to visit at the end of this month ^)
Old May 17, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daytona
They also have one in Toronto and Miami (which I plan to visit at the end of this month ^)
Ohhh, I did not know that! I have added Scarpetta in Toronto to my list to try!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I just want to complement you on how much I enjoy reading your site/blog. ^
Rejuvenated - thank you so much! I'm heading to San Francisco, Las Vegas & New York in 7 weeks time & my list of places we want to eat at is increasing by the minute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.