Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
(1) Fall River Brewing Hexagenia IPA. First alcohol in 7.5 months. Heaven.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Business dinner last night at a "fish camp" in JAX. I ordered a sangria, because I'd never had one. My gawd, was it sweet! Yech.
Maybe they added a lot of sugar or simple syrup. The sangria we make at home (and the ones I had in Barcelona) is certainly not what I would call sweet.

You want yech? You should try alcohol-free wine. It's basically a really half-donkey'd effort of making grape juice.

In Sweden, the BAC limit is 0.02 and the first offense is a massive fine and one-year suspension of your driver's license. Since I was driving, I had to stick with alcohol-free beers. This one from Brooklyn Brewery was actually nice.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe they added a lot of sugar or simple syrup. The sangria we make at home (and the ones I had in Barcelona) is certainly not what I would call sweet.

You want yech? You should try alcohol-free wine. It's basically a really half-donkey'd effort of making grape juice.

In Sweden, the BAC limit is 0.02 and the first offense is a massive fine and one-year suspension of your driver's license. Since I was driving, I had to stick with alcohol-free beers. This one from Brooklyn Brewery was actually nice.
Most sangria recipes I've seen call for at least some sugar...along with the fruit it's easy to make it too sweet.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:04 am

I'd rather drink 1/2 pint of a good beer than a full pint of some lite, low-calorie, low-alcohol beer - about the same calories but a lot more taste.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:08 am

Good Sangria is wonderful. The stuff bought at the store and/or served at many places is simply a alcoholic version of fruit punch.

Like making good bread, it's easy to make a good Sangria and control the sweetness of it yourself. Some descent wine (red or white), some brandy and a sweet liquor, some juicy fruit and maybe be some added sugar to taste. Let it age a few days, and you are ready. There are a zillion recipes on the Internet.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Along with a multitude of beers I did enjoy yesterday, I had one of the most putrid brews I've ever encountered. The Drongo Half Sour from Clown Shoes - a sour IPA. It just has wrong written all over it.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Personally, I am about done with IPA's. They are becoming like Merlot was in the 90's and early 2000's - to many brands of to low quality. I have been trying to find the Sam Adams summer collection with no IPA's but so far no luck. Instead I am buying beer by the six pack at Trader Joes where the prices are still reasonable for a good mass produced bottled beer. and I can skip the IPA's. Or I hit my local craft brewers. I wish more of them sold in 12 oz bottles.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Personally, I am about done with IPA's. They are becoming like Merlot was in the 90's and early 2000's - to many brands of to low quality. I have been trying to find the Sam Adams summer collection with no IPA's but so far no luck. Instead I am buying beer by the six pack at Trader Joes where the prices are still reasonable for a good mass produced bottled beer. and I can skip the IPA's. Or I hit my local craft brewers. I wish more of them sold in 12 oz bottles.
That's a good reminder that I need to dust off my growlers and hit the taps this week.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I love IPAs. I try out new ones when I can. But I agree, most being produced, even new ones from breweries that previously released solid ones, are mediocre at best. Some are downright horrible.
Find myself sticking to a few favorites.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

I could not agree more. Every mixer pack is watered down with forgettable IPAs. I have found myself drinking stouts almost exclusively lately because I find there's less chance of a bad apple (might just be my area, however).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I could not agree more. Every mixer pack is watered down with forgettable IPAs. I have found myself drinking stouts almost exclusively lately because I find there's less chance of a bad apple (might just be my area, however).
I think you're exactly right. The darker beers aren't as disappointing, but it takes a twist to make them different; toasted coconut, coffee, chocolate, licorice, bourbon barrel aging, etc. Otherwise, you find yourself drinking the same thing from a different bottle.

pbiflyer, there are a few breweries out that that do make a variety of IPAs and they're all a little different and still all good. Ninkasi, out in Eugene was one. I feel like when we visited the brewery taproom, something like 7 out of 10 taps were an IPA and there were noticeable taste differences. But even with the different hops out there, most breweries probably shouldn't attempt more than 2 or 3.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
On my recent vacation, I sampled a lot of pilsners and only one or two IPAs, simply because I questioned if the IPAs would be good.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
On my recent vacation, I sampled a lot of pilsners and only one or two IPAs, simply because I questioned if the IPAs would be good.
Why can't I remember to ask for a *taste* of something before buying the whole pint?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Why can't I remember to ask for a *taste* of something before buying the whole pint?
Because you are old?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Since I've had difficulties finding it at home, I've been enjoying a decent amount of Innis & Gunn Bourbon Barrel and Rum Barrel beers. They also have a very clever non-alcoholic pale ale called Innis & None.

I've also been sampling a plethora of Czech beers not named Pilsner Urquell or Staropramen.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jul 10, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.