Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Last night - Moosehead
Lol simple but effective
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I bought a Sam Adams 24-pack at Costco for a part this weekend. Miracle of miracles: no IPAs!

* Sam '76
* Summer Ale
* Porch Rocker
* Boston Lager
Thanks. I need to look into that.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:14 pm

Oddball impulse purchase on my last cross-border beer run: Paulaner alcohol-free hefeweizen radler. Surprisingly good, refreshing, and the police don't care if I have a couple before or during a motorcycle ride.

On the alcohol-free beer front, I was expecting Bavaria's 0% IPA to be terrible. It'll never be a real IPA but it's a nice hoppy beverage and is now a mainstay in my fridge. Van de Streek in Utrecht makes an even better 0% IPA called Playground. On the flipside, alcohol-free Hoegaarden is completely undrinkable. Other alcohol-free Belgian beers are equally nasty--even when the regular beer isn't sweet, the 0% version is.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Saskatoon's Great Western Brewing Co.'s Brewhouse pilsner. 36 cans for $40 for a decent beer is a very good value.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Oddball impulse purchase on my last cross-border beer run: Paulaner alcohol-free hefeweizen radler. Surprisingly good, refreshing, and the police don't care if I have a couple before or during a motorcycle ride.

On the alcohol-free beer front, I was expecting Bavaria's 0% IPA to be terrible. It'll never be a real IPA but it's a nice hoppy beverage and is now a mainstay in my fridge. Van de Streek in Utrecht makes an even better 0% IPA called Playground. On the flipside, alcohol-free Hoegaarden is completely undrinkable. Other alcohol-free Belgian beers are equally nasty--even when the regular beer isn't sweet, the 0% version is.
I drank non-alcoholic beer for 16 years in the 80’s and 90’s when the selection was pretty limited. Sharps and ODouls were available in *some* bars. The only one I found that I could drink more than one was Carling but it was difficult to find, And only in select liquor stores in MA where I lived at the time. The only European brew I can recall was made by Becks and it was nothing I cared for. I would have killed for a non-alcoholic IPA.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An enjoyable night at The Craft Bar in Panama City Beach:

Goat Island (Culman, AL) Blood Orange Berliner-Weisse - tasted like an orange Nehi
Prairie Artisan Ales (Krebs, OK) Vape Tricks - aged over cherries, delicious
Upslope (Boulder, CO) Blackberry-Lemon Kettle Sour - Mrs BV's favorite of the night
Destin (Destin, FL) Blueberry Pomegranate Bee-liner Berliner-Weisse - on the weak side
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:37 pm

Forgive my ignorance but I’ve never had alcohol-free beer. Does it taste different? In what ways?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Forgive my ignorance but I’ve never had alcohol-free beer. Does it taste different? In what ways?
It generally tastes like something is missing.
pbiflyer and der_saeufer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol

It generally tastes like something is missing.
Interesting. I've heard it's popular for those looking to lose weight due to its reduced calories. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I've heard it's popular for those looking to lose weight due to its reduced calories. Thanks!
Some of the big brewers make and sell beers with as few as 55 calories per 12 ounce bottle. They also taste like there’s something missing. But if you can drink enough of them, the possibility of a mild buzz exists.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

But if you can drink enough of them
Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the attempted weight loss? ;-)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the attempted weight loss? ;-)
Drinking the same number of 55 calorie beers as 150 calorie beers would lead to fewer calories consumed overall. Maybe it’s okay for someone who only drinks occasionally. When I did weight watchers, I could drink a couple very low calorie beers once a week without going over my points. And I felt a little something.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:50 am

The variation in calorie levels is pretty large because of varying amounts of other ingredients like corn syrup or un-fermented malt; Bavaria's 0% IPA has ~60 calories per bottle but Jupiler or Carlsberg 0% has around 130 which isn't that much less than the real thing (and it tastes WAY worse).

I drink them because they taste better than water or Coke but don't make me sleepy or get me in trouble with the cops when I'm driving or motorcycling.

Some of the big brewers make and sell beers with as few as 55 calories per 12 ounce bottle. They also taste like there’s something missing. But if you can drink enough of them, the possibility of a mild buzz exists.
I don't quite get the point of the low-calorie beers. IMO they taste worse than the 0% beers, and if getting a buzz for minimal calories is the intent, liquor with sugar-free mixers is more efficient.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I don't quite get the point of the low-calorie beers. IMO they taste worse than the 0% beers, and if getting a buzz for minimal calories is the intent, liquor with sugar-free mixers is more efficient.
I find that low calorie beers, especially ultra low calorie beers just taste watery. I agree on alcohol free beers having truer beer flavor and being less watery tasting.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I find that low calorie beers, especially ultra low calorie beers just taste watery. I agree on alcohol free beers having truer beer flavor and being less watery tasting.
I totally agree that low-calorie beers are worthless IMO. However, I have been reading that some craft brewers are (apparently) starting to make them, as more people are concerned about weight/lifestyle choices.

Clearly not the case for the beers I prefer, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.