Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I bought a Sam Adams 24-pack at Costco for a part this weekend. Miracle of miracles: no IPAs!

* Sam '76
* Summer Ale
* Porch Rocker
* Boston Lager
I had one '76 and don't think I finished it. Summer ale is fine and now that I've looked it up, I'm looking forward to trying a Porch Rocker.

I had a draft Boston Lager yesterday at Outback with lunch. The beer was fine. The food was okay. But the place was overwhelmed (it looked like several servers may have called out) and lunch took almost 2 hours. On most days that would be alright, but we were halfway home and still had 2 more hours to drive.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I had one '76 and don't think I finished it. Summer ale is fine and now that I've looked it up, I'm looking forward to trying a Porch Rocker.

I had a draft Boston Lager yesterday at Outback with lunch. The beer was fine. The food was okay. But the place was overwhelmed (it looked like several servers may have called out) and lunch took almost 2 hours. On most days that would be alright, but we were halfway home and still had 2 more hours to drive.
I think I'm happy I avoided the '76 at dinner on Friday then.

I had Radeberger Pilsner last night.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

Originally Posted by kipper
I think I'm happy I avoided the '76 at dinner on Friday then.

I had Radeberger Pilsner last night.
My father, who will drink about anything, turned down the '76 we had in the fridge. (No idea where we got it).
Wonder if it will ruin the brats if I use it to boil them in.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:33 pm

Currently having a Pseudo Sue by Toppling Goliath at Field Museum. Just love that I can have craft beer at a museum - placates the geek in me.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
My father, who will drink about anything, turned down the '76 we had in the fridge. (No idea where we got it).
Wonder if it will ruin the brats if I use it to boil them in.
LOL, probably not.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Summer Ale was good. The Porch Rocker was ... different. I was expecting something along the lines of a Summer Shandy, but Porch Rocker definitely didn't feel as light and refreshing--it wasn't bad, just different.

My buddy had a '76 and said it was okay. I'm sure it'll do just fine on a hot day after I mow the lawn.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Ranier
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business dinner last night at a "fish camp" in JAX. I ordered a sangria, because I'd never had one. My gawd, was it sweet! Yech. Should have had a beer. I'm on my own tonight and will have a couple beers somewhere to make up for my mistake.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Business dinner last night at a "fish camp" in JAX. I ordered a sangria, because I'd never had one. My gawd, was it sweet! Yech. Should have had a beer. I'm on my own tonight and will have a couple beers somewhere to make up for my mistake.
I've never seen the attraction of sangria.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:30 pm

Brewhouse
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My local craft brew bar always reserves one tap for a classic yardbeer.

So last night, I had a Hamm's. From the land of sky blue waters....
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
I've never seen the attraction of sangria.
I can explain.

Somebody invites you out for a day of Missouri wine tasting. You visit these little country wineries with sweet people telling stories about their wines, sharing free tastings of all vidal, norton, elderberry wine, jalapeno(!) wine, chardonel, and other things you've probably never heard of. They're explaining how to pair the wine with gourmet cuisine and the only thing you can think of is "there's no way I'd ruin a great steak with this stuff."

However, the tasting rooms are friendly, the wine is like ten bucks a bottle, and you feel like a heel drinking for a half-hour and not buying anything. So basically you're figuring out which one would make a tolerable sangria at your next cinco de mayo party.

That's how you end up with a case of wine fit for sangria. Or you could skip the whole Missouri roadtrip and just buy whatever's $4.99/bottle at your local liquor store.

With all due respect to anyone who thinks they make *great* sangria, I can't tell the difference between good wine and bad wine once it's in sangria. I'm usually chasing it with spicy nachos or fajitas so it's not like it matters a whole lot!
BamaVol likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I can explain.

Somebody invites you out for a day of Missouri wine tasting. You visit these little country wineries with sweet people telling stories about their wines, sharing free tastings of all vidal, norton, elderberry wine, jalapeno(!) wine, chardonel, and other things you've probably never heard of. They're explaining how to pair the wine with gourmet cuisine and the only thing you can think of is "there's no way I'd ruin a great steak with this stuff."

However, the tasting rooms are friendly, the wine is like ten bucks a bottle, and you feel like a heel drinking for a half-hour and not buying anything. So basically you're figuring out which one would make a tolerable sangria at your next cinco de mayo party.

That's how you end up with a case of wine fit for sangria. Or you could skip the whole Missouri roadtrip and just buy whatever's $4.99/bottle at your local liquor store.

With all due respect to anyone who thinks they make *great* sangria, I can't tell the difference between good wine and bad wine once it's in sangria. I'm usually chasing it with spicy nachos or fajitas so it's not like it matters a whole lot!
Did you leave that bottle of Missouri wine in my wine rack? I've never been able to figure out where it came from but I re-gifted it last year rather than make sangria. Which, after having tried it once, I'm not likely to do.

I had dinner last night at what must have once been a Gordon Biersch location, because that was the name of the guest wi-fi. It has been renamed Seven Bridges Brewpub. They made a passable IPA and I drank 2 with my mango-habanero chicken. I thought it was odd that they only had 5 house-made beers on tap and a 5 beer guest tap list which included Bud, Bud Light & Miller Lite and a much longer list of wines and specialty cocktails.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I can explain.

LOL, I think that makes a lot of sense! I definitely wouldn't give a $10 bottle of Missouri wine to anyone I wanted to impress.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:58 pm

Bent Stick Brewing Wizard Device Amber Ale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.