Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Diamond still best in class??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by avidflyer
The folks flying 120-200k are absolutely buying J (or discounted J) and full Y.
Not me! I typically buy K for domestic or sLUT for TATL.

BTW, in 2006-2007 I used to buy M once in while for TATL. But today the ratio of M-fare to sLUT is so high that I cannot justify it. Today I feel that K is closer to where the old M was.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If DL SkyMiles management were to have the courage to admit the failing of its ways in recent times, it would be quite easy to make adjustments such that DL Diamond would be worth enough to entice more people to go for DL Diamond with their MQM activity this year rather than having Platinums consider stopping short of 125k.

It may even be sufficient if DL were to just adopt the NW Elite ExtraPerks program from years past.
^^ Jeff is so close, yet so far, to having DM be "Best in Class"
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:29 pm

The only thing that I am trying to point out is that DL is VERY close to a REALLY great program. The Faux Pas was not giving people a compelling reason to keep going beyond DM. That stalls everything right back to Silver and causes people to make decisions that actually move money away from DL.
I actually agree with you on the first part... they are very close to having a great program but disagree with the second point.

There is incentive to get to plat... but NOT ENOUGH incentive to get to DM. Once you've hit DM, there's little to no incentive to stop flying DL with the rollover miles.

If I was sitting at 120K, I would take the rollover miles and not worry about reqaulifying for PM the next year. However, the benefit of DM isn't great enough.

Though I like the $300 savings of getting free CRC and the ability to pick my reward(s) I don't think that I will be paying for M+ fares for vacation. I'll just go ahead and burn miles and will do that because I don't have to worry about requalifying because of rollover miles. I, however, don't see myself moving to another airline because of the BIS Y miles required to hit EXP with AA (they won't match).
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DP-340
Not me! I typically buy K for domestic or sLUT for TATL.

BTW, in 2006-2007 I used to buy M once in while for TATL. But today the ratio of M-fare to sLUT is so high that I cannot justify it. Today I feel that K is closer to where the old M was.
I agree and we are in the same boat. My point was that even for the "cheap flyer" the FF program and ability to upgrade with miles/PMU's actually does draw a little more cash out of the victim. FF programs do work and the point the poster was making was that they are losers for the Airlines. I would argue that DL could add NW style SWU's at 125/160/200K and pull back, just slightly, availability in the same seats they would offer for full award tickets or UG's to J and take a very small $$ hit for a strategy that would keep DL flyers on DL the entire year. I don't buy the the idea that they can not do it without losing their shirts...I think they miscalculated the approach.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by DP-340
That would make me happy!
Me too, and I've never been elite on NW. However, I don't think it is going to happen with this group. First, no one likes to admit that they are wrong. Second, the economic downturn provides a great deal of cover to the loyalty program's missteps in regards to the roll out of the DM program. Just look around the other forums and see the number of PMs inquiring about status matches. The harm done won't show for several months as some of these pax will continue to fly what has been booked on DL. Also, DL has no way of knowing how may of its elites are status matching to OALs v. the known number of OALs elites status matching into Skymiles.

I think a great deal of my disappointment is that when I knew DM was coming, I was hoping for something truely first class. After conversations in person with the leaders who shaped the program, I had even expected DM to be a great program. No doubt, there is some good in the DM program, however, it clearly is far from being the best higest tier program.

DL had the chance to lead like Jeff Robertson said they would. Instead, they issued a program that they had to know was lacking. As an admitted DL fan, DL deserved better and its FFers deserved better.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I actually agree with you on the first part... they are very close to having a great program but disagree with the second point.

There is incentive to get to plat... but NOT ENOUGH incentive to get to DM. Once you've hit DM, there's little to no incentive to stop flying DL with the rollover miles.

If I was sitting at 120K, I would take the rollover miles and not worry about reqaulifying for PM the next year. However, the benefit of DM isn't great enough.

Though I like the $300 savings of getting free CRC and the ability to pick my reward(s) I don't think that I will be paying for M+ fares for vacation. I'll just go ahead and burn miles and will do that because I don't have to worry about requalifying because of rollover miles. I, however, don't see myself moving to another airline because of the BIS Y miles required to hit EXP with AA (they won't match).
That is actually a great point and one I missed because I am interjecting my personal situation which is different than most. You are spot on for the vast majority of flyers. The issue is between Plat and DM for the most part. There is another angle around locking in for 2 years at a level you are comfortable with post DM and then trying out another AL to see if you like it. The reality is you could match or challenge anyway but I just see this as an opening for the competition for the uber flyers that are 200K+ looking strictly from a marketing standpoint.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
IThere is incentive to get to plat... but NOT ENOUGH incentive to get to DM.
Agreed if you have mainline service. What's the incentive if someone sees a lot of RJ's in her/her future? With 100% bonuses for both Gold & Plat, what's the overriding advantage of Plat other than PMU's that 80% don't use?

Granted that DL largely just matched the competition in this aspect, but this is also an area that could use some thought.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Agreed if you have mainline service. What's the incentive if someone sees a lot of RJ's in her/her future? With 100% bonuses for both Gold & Plat, what's the overriding advantage of Plat other than PMU's that 80% don't use?
I would agree with you. At a place like OKC (all RJ) where it's RJ everywhere, the difference upgrade wise from GM to PM doesn't matter. At that point, I would be finding the CHEAPEST and most CONVENIENT.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:29 pm

That is actually a great point and one I missed because I am interjecting my personal situation which is different than most. You are spot on for the vast majority of flyers. The issue is between Plat and DM for the most part. There is another angle around locking in for 2 years at a level you are comfortable with post DM and then trying out another AL to see if you like it. The reality is you could match or challenge anyway but I just see this as an opening for the competition for the uber flyers that are 200K+ looking strictly from a marketing standpoint.
My biggest issue is that the only airline I would consider would be AA. I will not fly UA, period. US hahahah. CO has similar issues and PM upgrades on a 16 seat cabin transcon are VERY hard to come away with.

AA doesn't allow any challenges or matches to EXP... (or if they do, please let me know).
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
^^ Jeff is so close, yet so far, to having DM be "Best in Class"
And unfortunately, that is so, so true.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:41 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Took em long enuff... CO has been doing this for what over 4 years now... they get it! Just ask Mersk862...

Though you may not have been there, the DL DO in ATL included a night of meeting & greeting and bouncing ideas off of many of us either in the large group session, or in individual conversations.
Actually... this idea (rollover) came from one of the marketing folks at NW... they just didn't implement it last year...

I would have to say that the rollover MQM's is not only extremely creative but outside the box as well. It's NOT something that NW had, was it? Are there any competitors offering it either?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2009, DL Diamond 2010, Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold 2010
50% mileage bonus on Y/B/M makes Delta #1

Seriously - for those frequent business travelers buying y/b/m tickets - this is a no brainer. DL's program gives you 50% more actual miles than UA/AA. This is a huge benefit and equates to an enormous amount of miles for those of us at Diamond level.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:41 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
Seriously - for those frequent business travelers buying y/b/m tickets - this is a no brainer. DL's program gives you 50% more actual miles than UA/AA. This is a huge benefit and equates to an enormous amount of miles for those of us at Diamond level.
Most people would rather save the couple thousand $$ to buy K fares and put the difference in the bank - the cash would be worth WAY more than the 50% mileage bonus.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by fti
Most people would rather save the couple thousand $$ to buy K fares and put the difference in the bank - the cash would be worth WAY more than the 50% mileage bonus.
Most leisure travelers. But if your company absolutely didn't care whether it was a YBM or K..which would you pick?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Most leisure travelers. But if your company absolutely didn't care whether it was a YBM or K..which would you pick?
Those companies are become few and far between. Most are going to lowest fare +/- 10% for domestic. That said, many companies compromise on M/B fares if they are for INT flights and upgradable...that is actually a positive thing as the employees can go Biz but the company can eliminate full paid biz. I know I worked for a company that started to pay attention to booking class (I was the one who pushed it) and saved several million dollars of pure bottom line. The companies who don't care are still out there but not nearly what it once was. There are few things that are as purely wasteful to a balance sheet as premium travel. It has very little ROI, it is a point in time purchase with no residual value, and it adds up really quick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.