Wiki Posts
Search

DL Diamond still best in class??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
DL Diamond still best in class??

This may seem strange coming from me, but with AA's new EXP bonuses for hitting 125k EQM (Gifting Gold Status, Lounge Access, Miles, etc), DL's program really is being challenged here.

For those of you that know the AA program in an out, can you outline the pros of AA (SWU, etc). Then, for those that know the DL fairly well, outline the pros so we can have a single forum for comparison.

When DL rolled out the proposed Diamond Tier, I thought it was overall a great program a bit above the competition. Now with AA offering the pretty much the same program at the same millage requirement, I am starting to question DM.

Lets not fight folks, just discuss facts.

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:37 pm

Good luck on the lack of a catfight....

However, I would tend to agree that the benefits of EXP at 125K are now as good as, if not better, than DL...

However, unless you already have EXP on AA, getting Diamond on DL is a less arduous task (often). Since DL offers unlimited complimentary upgrades to ALL elites (versus EXP only on AA), much more likely to spend your time in F versus Y.

slightly off topic
However, from a southern flyers perspective, DL > AA for one main reason... convenience. Please show me a southern airport with more convenient access to an AA hub than to a DL hub.

I personally prefer the hour hop to ATL and then the 3+ hour flight there versus what would be a 2 hour hop to DFW and then a 1-2 hour hop somewhere else.

Last edited by WBurcham; Sep 2, 2009 at 12:44 pm Reason: typo.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
The Requested Comparison VERY, VERY LONG

Greetings Folks:

Late last year, I did a post comparing AA EXP to NW PE as constituted at that time. Well in response to this thread, I thought that I would take up the challenge and do an AA EXP post to DL Diamond to show differences and to compare strengths and weaknesses. I am an AA EXP and have already qualified for 2010 as well. I am multi-year NW PE, but I may or may not qualify for Diamond on DL. I will do my best to keep subjectivity or bias out of this, but as always, YMMV.

In addition, I am not going to get into the hard product, soft product, lack of international FC class, hubs, culture etc of the two airlines, and merely look at AAdvantage v. SM from the perspective of the two highest tiers. As such, I won't discuss the two loyalty programs from any other point of view than from the two highest tiers.

Accordingly, here is my humble attempt, and as always just in case you missed it, so I can avoid the flame suit (LOL), YMMV:

1. Qualification for Top Tier Status. AA permits qualification via "elite qualifiying points, (EQPs)" "elite qualifying miles (EQMs)" and "elite qualifying segments (EQS)". EQPs range anywhere from 1.5 to 0 points depending upon the fare type (higher fares give more points) and are multiplied by actual miles flown (subject to an applicable minimum). Generally speaking, folks buying the higher priced fares will find this useful. The targets for EXP are one or more of 100 EQS, 100,000 EQPs and/or 100,000 EQMs. DL is miles and/or segments. 140 segments or 125,000 MQMs qualify for Diamond. Both programs allow (generally speaking) for all non-opaque fares to accrue EQMs/MQMs. NW-DL has the 500 mile EQM minimum for everyone. AA has the minimum for elites only. Also note, EQMs on One World Alliance members may be next to nothing or nothing depending upon fare class and carrier route (i.e. BA for TATL with origin/destination domestic US as of today). Sky Team may be restricted as well in certain instances. Note, the DM tier will not come on line until sometime in the Spring of 2010.

2. SWUs. AA gives out 8 SWUs at 100K, and you need to find upgrade space, but with planning that is not too hard. As today (9-2-09) AA has come out with a promo where if one exceeds 125,000 EQMs or EQPs, one could choose 4 extra SWUs. Note this is being run in connection with a second DEQM promo by AA as well. [10-13-09 edit] All published paid fares may be upgraded domestically and internationally. DL will award SWUs to Diamonds up to 10 of them by choosing the "gift" at the PM/PE level (4) and again at the DM level (6). SWUs are useable on Y/B/M fares only internationally which are close to full fare. DL's SWUs may be used on all domestic fares but not on the lowest three (DL's LUT/NW's TKL). Consensus on FT seems to be that upgrade buckets on DL have been better this year than other years. AA keeps an electronic bank of these for you. DL's are rumored to be paper next year.

3. Elite Line. The EXP line is one of the top in the business. The new line for Diamonds has been published like it will be outstanding too.

4. International Lounge Access Based on Status. One World Emeralds (the equivalent to Sky Team Elite Plus (which an EXP qualifies as)), traveling on an international itinerary in coach on a One World airline, have access to the "F Class Lounges" of any One World airline (for the most part). Accordingly, if you fly AA to LHR, you can use Cathay Pacific's F Class Lounge. The Skyclubs are probably a spot nicer than the AA ACs, but IHMO, the international lounge access goes hands down to AA on this point. Note, this is just "Elite Plus" in ST speak benefits. ST plus get access to some nice partner lounges with KE, AF and the new lounge at LHR, but they're probably not in line with OW. Will deal with the domestic club situation in a moment.

5. Domestic Elite Upgrades. AA EXPs and DL DMs are both complimentary (i.e. no "stickers", E500s etc.) AA is 100 hours out. DL will be 5 days out. Both come at the top of the elite program (i.e. this does not factor in "Y-UP" fares). "Domestic elite upgrades" are available on all non-opaque mileage earning fares on both airlines. This includes AA's "O" and DL's "T". It should be noted that elite upgrades apply to Hawaii for AA but do not on NW-DL.

6. Award Availability at the Highest Tier. AA has extra availability for EXPs on its own metal. DM has stated there will be extra availability on its metal for "US domestic" travel.

7. Freedom From Fees. DMs will not have ticketing, waiver and/or redeposit fess. AA EXPs are charged a $150 redeposit fee, but there is no charge for changing of dates and times.

8. Domestic Non-Elite Companion Upgrades Based on Status. AA EXPs can have one companion upgraded with them at their 100 hour window (space available). However, the companions need "stickers" which are good for a 500 miles a piece purchasable at $30 per sticker. DMs will have companions upgrade with them if the companion flies on a "K" or above fare but not at the DM window.

9. Elite Bonuses. AA EXPs on AA metal or on AA Coded flights are entitled to a 100% RDM bonus, and it varies depending upon partner and class of fare if non-AA coded non-AA metal. DMs will get 125% on DL metal. We will need to see what happens for non-DL metal.

10. Domestic Club Membership. DMs get free membership which is a nice benefit. EXPs get reduced membership fee for program year 2009, if an EXP exceeds 125,000 EQMs or 125,000 EQPs this year, that EXP may choose a free AC membership.

11. Gifting Status: A DM may gift Gold Status and potentially Silver Status (depending on how one reads the rules) to other flyers. For program year 2009, an EXP with 125,000 EQMs or 125,000 EQPs may gift AA Gold status (equivalent of DL silver).

12. Bonus RDMs. For program year 2009, an EXP with 125,000 EQMs or 125,000 EQPS may choose 25,000 RDMs as a perk. A DM may also choose 25,000 RDMs

13. Roll-Over Status Miles. SM will feature ability for rollover of status miles in between tiers and after DM tier. AA does not feature.

14. Alliance Highest Tier: AA EXPs are One World Emerald. Emerald is the highest tier on One World. This entitles folks to check in at First Class lines, extra baggage (subject to restriction) and the like. DMs will be Sky Team Elite Plus (Sky Team's highest tier) with business class check in rights, priority to seats and the like.

If potential DMs, EXPs (or anyone else for that matter (smile)) believe I am factually inaccurate or have omitted something, please let me know, and I'll update the post. Hope others find this useful.

Safe Travels!

Last edited by GTITAN; Oct 13, 2009 at 4:43 pm Reason: 10-13-09 to reflect AA SWUs are now useable on all mileage earning non-opaque fares
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Greetings Folks:

Late last year, I did a post comparing AA EXP to NW PE as constituted at that time. Well in response to this thread, I thought that I would take up the challenge and do an AA EXP post to DL Diamond to show differences and to compare strengths and weaknesses. I am an AA EXP and have already qualified for 2010 as well. I am multi-year NW PE, but I may or may not qualify for Diamond on DL. I will do my best to keep subjectivity or bias out of this, but as always, YMMV.

In addition, I am not going to get into the hard product, soft product, lack of international FC class, hubs, culture etc of the two airlines, and merely look at AAdvantage v. SM from the perspective of the two highest tiers. As such, I won't discuss the two loyalty programs from any other point of view than from the two highest tiers.

Accordingly, here is my humble attempt, and as always just in case you missed it, so I can avoid the flame suit (LOL), YMMV:

1. Qualification for Top Tier Status. AA permits qualification via "elite qualifiying points, (EQPs)" "elite qualifying miles (EQMs)" and "elite qualifying segments (EQS)". EQPs range anywhere from 1.5 to 0 points depending upon the fare type (higher fares give more points) and are multiplied by actual miles flown (subject to an applicable minimum). Generally speaking, folks buying the higher priced fares will find this useful. The targets for EXP are one or more of 100 EQS, 100,000 EQPs and/or 100,000 EQMs. DL is miles and/or segments. 140 segments or 125,000 EQMs qualify for Diamond. Both programs allow (generally speaking) for all non-opaque fares to accrue EQMs/MQMs. NW-DL has the 500 mile EQM minimum for everyone. AA has the minimum for elites only. Also note, EQMs on One World Alliance members may be next to nothing or nothing depending upon fare class and carrier route (i.e. BA for TATL with origin/destination domestic US as of today). Sky Team may be restricted as well in certain instances. Note, the DM tier will not come on line until sometime in the Spring of 2010.

2. SWUs. AA gives out 8 SWUs at 100K, and you need to find upgrade space, but with planning that is not too hard. As today (9-2-09) AA has come out with a promo where if one exceeds 125,000 EQMs, one could choose 2 extra SWUs. Note this is being run in connection with a second DEQM promo by AA as well. All published paid fares, except the bottom two coach fares, and the deeply discounted business fare may be upgraded internationally. All but the bottom coach fare and discount business fares may be upgraded domestically (AA has 3 class domestic and internationally configured planes and fares depending on the route). DL will award SWUs to Diamonds up to 10 of them by choosing the "gift" at the PM/PE level (4) and again at the DM level (6). SWUs are useable on Y/B/M fares only internationally which are close to full fare. DL's SWUs may be used on all domestic fares but not on the lowest three (DL's LUT/NW's TKL). Consensus on FT seems to be that upgrade buckets on DL have been better this year than other years. AA keeps an electronic bank of these for you. DL's are rumored to be paper next year.

3. Elite Line. The EXP line is one of the top in the business. The new line for Diamonds has been published like it will be outstanding too.

4. International Lounge Access Based on Status. One World Emeralds (the equivalent to Sky Team Elite Plus (which an EXP qualifies as)), traveling on an international itinerary in coach on a One World airline, have access to the "F Class Lounges" of any One World airline (for the most part). Accordingly, if you fly AA to LHR, you can use Cathay Pacific's F Class Lounge. The Skyclubs are probably a spot nicer than the AA ACs, but IHMO, the international lounge access goes hands down to AA on this point. Note, this is just "Elite Plus" in ST speak benefits. ST plus get access to some nice partner lounges with KE, AF and the new lounge at LHR, but they're probably not in line with OW. Will deal with the domestic club situation in a moment.

5. Domestic Elite Upgrades. AA EXPs and DL DMs are both complimentary (i.e. no "stickers", E500s etc.) AA is 100 hours out. DL will be 5 days out. Both come at the top of the elite program (i.e. this does not factor in "Y-UP" fares). "Domestic elite upgrades" are available on all non-opaque mileage earning fares on both airlines. This includes AA's "O" and DL's "T". It should be noted that elite upgrades apply to Hawaii for AA but do not on NW-DL.

6. Award Availability at the Highest Tier. AA has extra availability for EXPs on its own metal. DM has not published such a benefit.

7. Freedom From Fees. DMs will not have ticketing, waiver and/or redeposit fess. AA EXPs are charged a $150 redeposit fee, but there is no charge for changing of dates and times.

8. Domestic Non-Elite Companion Upgrades Based on Status. AA EXPs can have one companion upgraded with them at their 100 hour window (space available). However, the companions need "stickers" which are good for a 500 miles a piece purchasable at $30 per sticker. DMs will have companions upgrade with them if the companion flies on a "K" or above fare but not at the DM window.

9. Elite Bonuses. AA EXPs on AA metal or on AA Coded flights are entitled to a 100% RDM bonus, and it varies depending upon partner and class of fare if non-AA coded non-AA metal. DMs will get 125% on DL metal. We will need to see what happens for non-DL metal.

10. Domestic Club Membership. DMs get free membership which is a nice benefit. EXPs get reduced membership fee for program year 2009, if an EXP exceeds 125,000 EQMs this year, that EXP may choose a free AC membership.

11. Gifting Status: A DM may gift Gold Status and potentially Silver Status (depending on how one reads the rules) to other flyers. For program year 2009, an EXP with 125,000 EQMs may gift AA Gold status (equivalent of DL silver).

12. Bonus RDMs. For program year 2009, an EXP with 125,000 EQMs may choose 25,000 RDMs as a perk. A DM may also choose 25,000 RDMs

13. Roll-Over Status Miles. SM will feature ability for rollover of status miles in between tiers and after DM tier. AA does not feature.

14. Alliance Highest Tier: AA EXPs are One World Emerald. Emerald is the highest tier on One World. This entitles folks to check in at First Class lines, extra baggage and the like. DMs will be Sky Team Elite Plus (Sky Team's highest tier) with business class check in rights, priority to seats, extra baggage and the like.

If potential DMs, EXPs (or anyone else for that matter (smile)) believe I am factually inaccurate or have omitted something, please let me know, and I'll update the post. Hope others find this useful.

Safe Travels!
Thanks for your in-depth analysis of the two programs^ I'm still reading
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Great comparison!

However, you forgot one key important factor: Allliance.

Let's face it, Skyteam sucks. You can't redeem for first class and, the alliance members are generally subpar compared with OneWorld and Star.

I mean, both *A and 1W have industry leading airlines like Singapore, ANA, Cathay Pacific, Swiss, British, etc...Skyteam? Air France?

As much as I like Delta, the alliance factor alone makes me go back to UA and considering AA. The 125% won't make a difference when the alliance members themselves are not attractive.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
GTITAN is the man!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
GTITAN is the man!
Agreed!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:17 pm

After reading it the striking differences are:

1) eVIP's > PMU's
2) Delta waives ASC's, AA doesn't
3) Upgrading companions on AA > DL

---
4) RDM is 125% bonus > 100%
5) Upgrades to Hawaii... free on AA > K+ on DL
6) Earning DL miles is easier than AA

Last edited by WBurcham; Sep 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm Reason: opinions of those below
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBurcham

1) eVIP's > PMU's
The 25% additional bonus miles on DL is a big plus in my opinion also.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
However, from a southern flyers perspective, DL > AA for one main reason... convenience. Please show me a southern airport with more convenient access to an AA hub than to a DL hub.
Actually, this is still Delta's biggest asset. Their superior domestic network. It is, there is no other way to slice it. If you are not at one of the OAL hubs, it's hard to beat Delta with MSP, DTW, SLC, MEM, ATL, and CVG all in the interior parts of the country. Of course, there are certain places where OAL can provide and equal or better routings but not too many.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
The 25% additional bonus miles on DL is a big plus in my opinion also.
Absolutely.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL Diamond never has been and still is not best in class for customers.

DL Diamond doesn't look to be best in class for customers even in the second quarter of next year unless DL does something else substantially different.

125% mileage earning for DL Diamonds flights is a joke given how and how much worse value there is on the redemption side of DL than is the case with the likes of AA.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite

1) eVIP's > PMU's
Don't forget that upgrades to Hawaii are complimentary on AA for EXP members, but not on Delta at any level. If you travel to Hawaii with any degree of regularity, that is another "striking difference."
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GTITAN

2. SWUs. AA gives out 8 SWUs at 100K, and you need to find upgrade space, but with planning that is not too hard. As today (9-2-09) AA has come out with a promo where if one exceeds 125,000 EQMs, one could choose 2 extra SWUs.
Actually as of today AA has come out with a promo where if one exceeds 125,000 EQMs, one could choose 4 extra SWUs.

I am already well over 125,000 AA EQMs and AA will be giving me 10 SWUs in 2010 (or maybe even 14 SWUs if I hit another Million Miles threshold again in 2010) -- and AA's SWUs are much more flexible and useful than DL's Pretty Much Useless SWUs. [I doubt that 80+% of AA's SWUs went unused while I have little doubt that the majority of DL's systemwide upgrades went unused because of DL's customer-unfriendly ways.]
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Just when, exactly, was DM ever best in class?

Wait, I get it, they mean: "best in class"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.