Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Diamond still best in class??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by OxyChaz
A big problem here is that DL leaves out California for the most part. You've got to have a real hub in CA...either LA or SF...AA & UA do. There is just so much traffic in and around this state. On DL, I'd have to connect through SLC to get from LAX-Sacramento...or anywhere else in the west for the most part. Once DL dropped its contract with ExpressJet, it lost ANY credibility it had for frequent travelers who need to move around within this state or the region.

Until DL is serious about developing a real California operation, many of us will be forced to stick with UA and AA for our short AND long haul flying.

-OxyChaz
Have to agree with you on this one. I fly out of LAX and need to go to the Bay area about 4 times a year. I will not fly through SLC to get there. At a minimum, DL should at least have a contract with another regional carrier to get us from city-to-city within CA. I don't care if it is a RJ that we fly on, because we are on the plane for not much more than an hour, if that. As it is, and since I have some flexibility, I just drive instead of doing the UA/AA thing and then renting a car.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Please let me know that a DL mile is infinitely worse off than an AA or UA one... And as for CO, what do you mean 150K for 1-way J?!

Not sure what happened with your search but I found availability for BOTH Y & J.

Y = 75,000 Miles required+ $ 389.57 Taxes/Fees
J = 200,000 Miles required+ $ 307.19 Taxes/Fees

You DL folks don't know how bad you have it.

I just returned from a J class trip LAX-PDX(AS)-AMS(DL)-BCN(KL)-CDG-LAX(AF), using my WorldPerks miles (oh, and booked 3 weeks before the trip):

100,000 miles
$113 in taxes
$0 "close in" or partner fees

Your above example reinforces my fear of being merged into SkyMiles.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Have to agree with you on this one. I fly out of LAX and need to go to the Bay area about 4 times a year. I will not fly through SLC to get there. At a minimum, DL should at least have a contract with another regional carrier to get us from city-to-city within CA. I don't care if it is a RJ that we fly on, because we are on the plane for not much more than an hour, if that. As it is, and since I have some flexibility, I just drive instead of doing the UA/AA thing and then renting a car.
They do (sort of) in Alaska. I have been using Alaska to go back and forth crediting my NW account. You can do the same.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by DP-340
The main difference is the AMEX card. On AA you do not get EQM with their credit card, whereas I know a small business owner who gets 50k MQM per year (20k on his personal DL-AMEX-Plat and 30k on his Business AMEX-Reserve).

That is an absolutely huge difference that many seem to miss. Getting 125K (or more) MQMs on DL is more similar to getting 75K to 100K EQMs or EQPs on AA.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
You DL folks don't know how bad you have it.

I just returned from a J class trip LAX-PDX(AS)-AMS(DL)-BCN(KL)-CDG-LAX(AF), using my WorldPerks miles (oh, and booked 3 weeks before the trip):

100,000 miles
$113 in taxes
$0 "close in" or partner fees

Your above example reinforces my fear of being merged into SkyMiles.
Wow. You really don't get it do you? I wouldn't pay 200K miles BUT if you look at the purpose of that post, rather than blithely continuing to spread your anti-DL rants, you will notice that it was in line with what OTHER AIRLINES WERE OFFERING.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Wow. You really don't get it do you? I wouldn't pay 200K miles BUT if you look at the purpose of that post, rather than blithely continuing to spread your anti-DL rants, you will notice that it was in line with what OTHER AIRLINES WERE OFFERING.
Ouch! Sorry my datapoint didn't please you. I'll try harder next time.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:40 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
What's happening here?

Not sure what happened with your search but I found availability for BOTH Y & J.
Hmmm...were you logged in as PM? I have no status, yet, on DL although my reservations show as "PM" when I inspect them.

Anyway, I originally searched about three hours ago, and it quoted 90k for DL only on May 10th, with no AF availability. For the return, it presented a completely blank screen - no itins available at all.

But now, I just repeated the same search on DL.COM and I do find actual availability, same flights as you provided, although the taxes and fees I see don't correspond with those shown in your screenshot. Here is a cut n' paste of what I see now:

--------------------
75,000 Miles required
Taxes/Fees
+ $ 389.57 Taxes/Fees
Partner Airline Handling Charge
+ $ 25.00 Partner Airline Handling Charge
Redemption Fee
Price per passenger
= $ 414.57 *
---------------------

So, 150k + $829.04 is the revised DL comparator for the two pax.

Availability can change all the time, agreed. But even if we use the figures I just obtained, DL are at best, second worst in class after US.

And those revised figures don't exactly compare well to the CO OP booking.... 50% more mileage required.... and over 650% more taxes/fees!!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Ouch! Sorry my datapoint didn't please you. I'll try harder next time.
Well I've booked similar (if not better trips) in J.

Try MCO-CVG-LHR-ATL-MCO for 75,000 miles 2 weeks before booking. Taxes and "fees" were $174.19. No close in fee.

Could you do that with Northwest?

Last edited by WBurcham; Sep 3, 2009 at 12:09 pm Reason: Added the Class of service
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Hmmm...were you logged in as PM?
Yes, I was. So it looks like PM is of some benefit...

Originally Posted by redtailshark
But now, I just repeated the same search on DL.COM and I do find actual availability, same flights as you provided, although the taxes and fees I see don't correspond with those shown in your screenshot. Here is a cut n' paste of what I see now:

--------------------
75,000 Miles required
Taxes/Fees
+ $ 389.57 Taxes/Fees
Partner Airline Handling Charge
+ $ 25.00 Partner Airline Handling Charge
Redemption Fee
Price per passenger
= $ 414.57 *
---------------------

So, 150k + $829.04 is the revised DL comparator for the two pax.

Availability can change all the time, agreed. But even if we use the figures I just obtained, DL are at best, second worst in class after US.
Love to know how 150K + $829 is < 180K or 220K. I would fathom that a portion of the $389.57 is some sort of CDG eco tax.

I was able to get two one-stop (avoid CDG) itineraries and got the following when not logged in as a PM:
90,000 Miles required
Taxes/Fees
+ $ 307.19 Taxes/Fees
Redemption Fee
Price per passenger
= $ 307.19 Total

The thing that you fail to mention completely is that the VAST majority of the flights at the 50K saver level on CO are on DL/NW/AF metal which will no longer be available after they leave for star.

yes, we realize there is a disconnect on the award calendar and a Europe originating fee. Hate the Europe originating fee. It makes DL < US/UA/AA for ex-Europe bookings.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Well I've booked similar (if not better trips).

Try MCO-CVG-LHR-ATL-MCO for 75,000 miles 2 weeks before booking. Taxes and "fees" were $174.19. No close in fee.

I never paid more than 50K for US-Europe coach or 100K for WBC.

And in a couple days I'm leaving for Geneva for 44K ... on UA.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Yes, I was. So it looks like PM is of some benefit...
I was able to pull up the same Y itins just now as a DL base member -- my NW status won't roll over for another month or two.

It appears to be an issue of changing availability over time, not access to inventory by status.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Man this board is unbelievable. This was a great thread to look at the differences between the AA program now that they have made some changes and are running a DEQM promo and the new DL program. I feel responsible because I shot my Friend GTITAN a note knowing that he is an AA expert (NW refugee) and always does an amazing job with comparative analysis. Seems like the whole spirit of the original thread and the analysis has once again been tossed out the window for plain old bickering.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING AWARE OF THE OTHER PROGRAM NUANCES.

It does not have to be about which AL is better overall (if there is one) but rather about who is better for you individually. That, by definition, should never regress to back and forth fighting.

Just as an example: GTITAN has been over at AA for a while now and still regularly posts to the NW board. You do not see these bash-fests erupting over there with him...what is it about DL that makes some of you so protective?? It is really a bit strange..It is an AIRLINE. Do you people fight about Von's vs. Albertsons or Shaw's Vs Stop and Shop (you can tell I live on both coasts)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thing that you fail to mention completely is that the VAST majority of the flights at the 50K saver level on CO are on DL/NW/AF metal which will no longer be available after they leave for star.
But then we'll have access to UA & LH & many other *A partners -- a superior alliance w/ more options than Skyteam. This upcoming change has been one of CO's strong points.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well I've booked similar (if not better trips).

Yes, for 50k NW in economy or 75k NW for a mix of economy and business.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
GTITAN did a much better job explaining it than I - 1 further annoying AA thing is that you only get 1.25 pts for Business (which is all my company will pay for)
No, all Biz class fares get 1.5 EQPs on AA, as do all First class fares and full fare coach (Y and B). That changed several years ago. Today, 66,667 flown miles of Y or B or higher in a calendar year will earn AA EXP. This year, of course, as little as 50k miles in any fare class earns EXP (due to double eqm promos).

Biz class on AA earns a smaller redeemable mile bonus (25% for biz v. 50% on First class) - perhaps that's what you were remembering?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.