Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta's $98 response: detained by the DHS/FBI on a DL MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold

I posted about 3 months back about being detained in MCO while on a mileage run. The original thread is here.

I recently finally received a written response from Delta. Their response was to offer me a refund on the $98 MCO-BOS ticket I bought after they refused to reaccomodate me on the MCO-JFK-FRA-JFK-BWI-BOS segments (without a $2500 change fee.) This was as a "goodwill gesture."

Note that government agents AND the DL GA handling the flight had confirmed that I would be reaccomodated. I would have asked to delay the questioning until I could at least attempt to contact higher-ups at DL on the phone if I did not think I was going to be reaccomodated.

I think Delta did not consider my paper correspondence, as one reply I received said that they had not received either copy at all. I think I need to resend my paper complaint, but I don't know where to since it seems they don't read paper mail. Does anyone have contact information for anyone higher in DL that I might be able to escalate this through? E.g., higher than the Customer Care Manager who seemed to be the one handling my case.

I feel like I'm due at least my $550 ticket back or original routing credit, and more for the situation in general in the form of miles or additional ticket refunds as an apology. I'm also considering taking this to small claims court for damages if DL does nothing more about the matter.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
You have a PM
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
I also sent you a PM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the update, karthik.

That was a pathetic response on Delta's part, but they're paying for it. So far my wife and I have cancelled/booked away $3K in tickets and and cut Delta's income stream by another $1k by booking dirt cheap alternatives that I probably wouldn't have looked at otherwise.

The airline that leaves FlyerTalkers stranded doesn't deserve business.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:26 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update, it is appreciated, but I'd also just like to point out that you really should have added it to the end of your previous thread instead of starting a new one, especially for the sake of those who may be subscribed to your previous thread and may miss this new thread for whatever reason.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
Thanks for the update, it is appreciated, but I'd also just like to point out that you really should have added it to the end of your previous thread instead of starting a new one, especially for the sake of those who may be subscribed to your previous thread and may miss this new thread for whatever reason.
The previous thread was closed after it started getting off-topic, so I posted a new one.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: NWA - Plat...Hilton - Diamond
Any update to this story? I just read your original thread and was dismayed at the inevitable trainwreck that cause the thread to be locked.

have they responded to your paper letter yet?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Best of luck sir. Just remember what Pres. Regan tought us. "Just say no."
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by karthik
The previous thread was closed after it started getting off-topic, so I posted a new one.
Doh
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm still unclear as to why you are trying to hold Delta accountable for actions of the US Government?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by karthik
Note that government agents AND the DL GA handling the flight had confirmed that I would be reaccomodated. I would have asked to delay the questioning until I could at least attempt to contact higher-ups at DL on the phone if I did not think I was going to be reaccomodated.
The statement "Note that ... the DL GA handling the flight had confirmed that I would be reaccomodated." is not consistent with your original post.

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that consistency is one of the things judges look for in cases that they try. Good luck with your court case.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I'm still unclear as to why you are trying to hold Delta accountable for actions of the US Government?
Delta called the feds on him. They should not only refund his ticket completely, but also compensate him for the unnecessary and disgusting harassment that he received.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Delta called the feds on him. They should not only refund his ticket completely, but also compensate him for the unnecessary and disgusting harassment that he received.
Um, any proof of that assertion? Also, aren't there circumstances where Delta is required, by law, to notify federal authorities? If Delta did "call the feds", and they did so because they were obligated to by law, my question stands.

For example, Delta is required, by law, to collect taxes on airline ticket sales. I vehemently object to paying those taxes. Should I demand that Delta refund those taxes simply because I find them "disgusting"?

Trying to hold Delta accountable for the actions of the US Government just seems silly to me. I'd rather see the US Government held accountable for the actions of the US Government.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Um, any proof of that assertion? Also, aren't there circumstances where Delta is required, by law, to notify federal authorities? If Delta did "call the feds", and they did so because they were obligated to by law, my question stands.

For example, Delta is required, by law, to collect taxes on airline ticket sales. I vehemently object to paying those taxes. Should I demand that Delta refund those taxes simply because I find them "disgusting"?

Trying to hold Delta accountable for the actions of the US Government just seems silly to me. I'd rather see the US Government held accountable for the actions of the US Government.
The OP stated in his original thread that the Delta agent thought his itineraries were 'suspicious' and sicced the feds on him. This was not a legal requirement, Delta did it out of spite and should make reparations for their agent's reprehensible behavior.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
The OP stated in his original thread that the Delta agent thought his itineraries were 'suspicious' and sicced the feds on him. This was not a legal requirement, Delta did it out of spite and should make reparations for their agent's reprehensible behavior.
Kudos to the DL agent then for having the cojones to report something suspicious. You weren't there (God help the agent).

What the feds did to the OP is out of DL's control. It's them you should be angry at, not DL.

Last edited by crimguy1976; Aug 16, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.