Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta's $98 response: detained by the DHS/FBI on a DL MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's $98 response: detained by the DHS/FBI on a DL MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am completely ignorant of NSLs, warrantless activities and public-private partnerships in this arena.
I would never claim any direct, personal knowledge of any of those topics either, beyond that which I read in the press. However, I think it's probably a safe assumption that our government is engaged in a variety of activites that don't make the front page of the New York Times, let alone the Daily Show with Jon Stewart (my two main sources of news )
The OP of this thread flew thereafter and has since without requiring DL and all other US airline customer service reps to contact federal law enforcement prior to issuing a boarding pass, including boarding passes without haraSSSSment selection. Ask the OP.
Senator Ted Kennedy was on a "no-fly" list of some form a while back. I suspect that today, the Senator flies without a problem. Perhaps the OP was cleared off the list? I really don't know. All I know is that the OP got shafted by the government and is now trying to blame a third party for abuse and losses caused by government actions.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Gotta love the apologists (for the airline as well as for the government).

IMO the OP is owed something quite substantial. Shame on DL!
Why "Shame on DL!"? If a hurricane hits my house in Florida, should I expect DL to give me SkyMiles and a refund simply because I fly to and from Florida on DL? Delta probably has more control over the weather than they do over the actions of the government!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: NWA - Plat...Hilton - Diamond
the op was on a legitimate flight that he paid for. either through the actions of DL or not, he was pulled off a flight and missed his connecting flight.

offered no assistance to get him back home. they told him to eff off when he was only trying to get what he had already paid for. regardless of whether or not it's all DL's fault, would you want to patronize a company that wouldn't take care of an obviously good customer?

no thank you!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Why "Shame on DL!"? If a hurricane hits my house in Florida, should I expect DL to give me SkyMiles and a refund simply because I fly to and from Florida on DL? Delta probably has more control over the weather than they do over the actions of the government!
If the hurricane caused you to miss a DL flight, I might expect DL to reaccommodate you as a measure of goodwill to a valuable customer.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisny2
If the hurricane caused you to miss a DL flight, I might expect DL to reaccommodate you as a measure of goodwill to a valuable customer.
His house doesn't have a round trip ticket for transportation on DL.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 4:52 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
His house doesn't have a round trip ticket for transportation on DL.
Is it entirely feasible that maybe he was rude to the agent? They don't have to give you a freebie except if you miss a connection or have a flat tire. You guys weren't there it's hard to say the cause of his issues and you are only hearing HIS side of the story. Until then you can't really say DL left him stranded.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

Last edited by chrisny2; Aug 17, 2007 at 11:10 pm Reason: never mind...this is getting kind of o/t anyway
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by cheapie
the op was on a legitimate flight that he paid for. either through the actions of DL or not, he was pulled off a flight and missed his connecting flight.

offered no assistance to get him back home. they told him to eff off when he was only trying to get what he had already paid for. regardless of whether or not it's all DL's fault, would you want to patronize a company that wouldn't take care of an obviously good customer?

no thank you!
Actually, if you read the original post, Delta did get him back home, and at a reasonable fare for a last-minute purchase. The guy didn't board his flight, through no fault of Delta's, yet you expect Delta to come up with restitution?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Even if the flight I was booked on was operating normally? What a strange attitude.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Is it entirely feasible that maybe he was rude to the agent? They don't have to give you a freebie except if you miss a connection or have a flat tire. You guys weren't there it's hard to say the cause of his issues and you are only hearing HIS side of the story. Until then you can't really say DL left him stranded.
Any evidence? Lacking any, the innuendo is a bit out of line.

I do know his full name & googled it when all this started. Attacking his character seems rather pointless to me. Delta owes him a trip to FRA or a refund.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
That's quite a chilling effect, Delta.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:46 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
1. Federal law enforcement officials find out about the actual DL itineraries because of what DL gives to law enforcement or that LEOs and intelligence services get from DL. Otherwise they have to somehow get it from the person travelling, who purchased the ticket or who has access to those persons and their belongings (or trash or handmedowns). [DHS CBP/ICE involvement, flight specific or not, can come into play but that wasn't the instigating factor here.]

2. The name was not on the list of names that requires contacting federal law enforcement prior to clearing for travel.
This was an international ticket. It is my understanding that the names and other information (which might include your entire itinerary, not just the international segment) is turned over to US authorities before the flight. This is required for every flight coming to/from the US on any carrier (I recall that the US and EU had extensive negotiations over this in the recent past due to EU privacy laws). So yes, Delta probably did give them the information, as they do for every single passenger they carry internationally to/from the USA.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Delta owes him a trip to FRA or a refund.

Not to try and get this thread back on topic but...I think I must have missed reading one post.

What is happening now in regards to this case. Is the OP pursuing it in court, or has he just given up?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beckles
This was an international ticket. It is my understanding that the names and other information (which might include your entire itinerary, not just the international segment) is turned over to US authorities before the flight. This is required for every flight coming to/from the US on any carrier (I recall that the US and EU had extensive negotiations over this in the recent past due to EU privacy laws). So yes, Delta probably did give them the information, as they do for every single passenger they carry internationally to/from the USA.
I mentioned DHS-CBP/ICE for a reason, and the scrub (and scoring) relevant to DHS-CBP/ICE was not the instigating factor.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
That's quite a chilling effect, Delta.
Some of us knew that DL was not a fan of mileage runs before (and even still ), but DL's actions in relation to this trip take that to a new level.

..... and "security" is not an acceptable excuse here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.